What's new

Agni-V launch to put India in big league

Soumya_india

Reaction score
India may enter the missile big league club next year as defence scientists plan to launch the 5000 km range Agni-V in next February.

Buoyed by the successful testing of the 3,500-km range Agni-IV on Tuesday, V K Saraswat, director-general of Defence Research and Development Organisation said the much awaited Agni-V would be tested in February, 2012.

If successful, the test would pave the way for India to have its own intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) to launch missile strikes deep inside Chinese territory, if the need arises. Typically ICBMs have range of 5,500 km and above.

“Agni-V is presently undergoing integration and we may test fire it by the end of February next year. It is right on schedule and the successful test of Agni-IV will prove to be a building block in development of this missile,” Saraswat said.

Only the US, Russia and China are known to have ICBM while Israel is suspected to have also developed one. The latest Chinese ICBM Deng-Fong 31 reportedly has many advanced features of Russian ICBM.

Asserting that Agni-IV fared well when compared against DF-31, Saraswat said the DRDO would use the same electronic package in developing the 5000 km range version.

Critical technologies like ring laser gyros for navigation and accuracy, composite rocket motor, on-board computer with distributed avionics architecture and a full digital control system which controlled and guided the missile during its 20-minute flight to the target were developed indigenously, he said.

Previous versions like Agni-II with a range of 2,500 km and Agni-III with range of 3,000 km plus are in the process of being inducted in the Army whereas Agni-I is being used by the Strategic Forces Command of the Army.

The 20 tonnes Agni-IV is lighter than earlier generations of Agni-II and Agni-III (both are about 48 tonnes), which gives more operational freedom to the Army. It is also road-mobile unlike the previous generations, which are rail-mobile.

The latest gyro system does not require maintenance as compared to the mechanical system in Agni-II which needs calibration after every six months or a year, he said.

Agni-V launch to put India in big league

Question is.. was joining that big league really required for India?

IMO... Agni 3 and 5 will provide our strategic forces the freedom to deploy a variety of warhead and their combination of different ranges and paths.... along different trajectories.... would not be surprised If Agini V shows the flight trajectories similar to what Bulava SLBM have shown.... which makes them difficult to track by early warning X-Band LRTRs hence more lethal... going by the advancements made in Agni IIP.... Agni V could perform different flight trajectories like the Shaurya Missile in a flatter path to make the Terminal interceptor useless against it.... and that could be used to deploy conventional bombs on any part of China.

Lets do it and then do the talking.
As far as missile tech is considered even the slightest of the errors will make us a laughing stock at PDF for opening this thread.
I also hate the way media writes articles, if a missile is developed its for deterence and a political message to the rival.
That does not mean the media need to bring in China into every thing that we do to defend our territory.

Question is.. was joining that big league really required for India?

Why not !! You never know who is your enemy in todays world..

BTW is that General Dyer as your profile pic... Why would keep such crappy persons pic as ur face here... !!

plzz dont post anymore AGni V threads......let them test it first then with BIG BIG letters i will myself post the succesful launch thread..till then NO agni V threads,this is my request

it will just start flame war and abusing countries and culture and Indians getting banned

Does the current range of Indian missiles not cover China???
I think Most MRBM's are sufficient to tackle the CHinese threat.

Yes, Agni-3 and now Agni-4 bring most if not all of China under their ranges. But the points of Agni-5 are different. Mainly....

1) Technology has changed a lot in recent years. newer guidance systems, rocket motors, anti-ABM emerged.

2) Agni-5 will be lighter, more robust.

3) It will be a canisterised missile with MIRV and better road mobility.

4) New generation anti-ABM systems to tackle ABM missiles. Like signature diversity decoys, active electromagnetic jammers, chaffs, thermal and radar signatures manipulation, change in ballistic coefficient of the released MIRVs etc.

5) It will have carbon fibre reinforced plastic (FRP) or composite casing rocket motors. Lighter and more reliable.

6) It will have similar new generation navigation , guidance, avionics, computer to Agni-4 if not better. Like Ring Laser Gyros based high accuracy INS (RINS) and Micro Navigation System (MINGS) complementing each other in redundant mode, high performance onboard computer with distributed Avionics architecture, high speed reliable communication bus and a full Digital Control System etc.

Technology and missile R&D has changed a lot since India developed its last major ballistic missile Agni-3. Now it is time for Agni-4 and Agni-5.

plzz dont post anymore AGni V threads......let them test it first then with BIG BIG letters i will myself post the succesful launch thread..till then NO agni V threads,this is my request

it will just start flame war and abusing countries and culture and Indians getting banned
I concour, its 100% foolishness to post it now.

Lets do it and then do the talking.
As far as missile tech is considered even the slightest of the errors will make us a laughing stock at PDF for opening this thread.
I also hate the way media writes articles, if a missile is developed its for deterence and a political message to the rival.
That does not mean the media need to bring in China into every thing that we do to defend our territory.

why do you care about what others have to say ?....russia has been making missiles for about 60 years now and still they have failures....thoose who laugh at failures of others aere those who cannot do it themselves...

btw the article is bs...france has icbms and it is not mentioned....

why do you care about what others have to say ?....russia has been making missiles for about 60 years now and still they have failures....thoose who laugh at failures of others aere those who cannot do it themselves...
when USSR was there, it was like iron curtain, no one knew what was done what was developed or what was tested, we have to maintain anoimity untill we accomplish what we intend to do.

right now the agni III can cover china but under two conditions...it should be launched from north east and it still it will not reach harbin in ne china....

so we need a missile that can reach the harbin city from the central india (deccan) or andamans...

simple reason:-

India needs a credible detterance.....we dont want out Nukes to be on border which is very near to chineese bombers and fighters..so instead we need a missille ,which can be launched from kanyakumari or tamil nadu coast and it should cover all of china...so we have a reliable detterance

Back
Top Bottom