What's new

After beating Tesla in China EV sales, BYD plots global expansion

Eventually, fuel vehicles will decline and be replaced by electric vehicles. This is a general trend that cannot be changed.

However, the competition among electric vehicle enterprises is still in its early stage. Although Tesla and BYD now have an advantage, with the maturity of the European electric vehicle market, BMW may become the third giant. The decline of Japanese automobile manufacturing industry is inevitable.

China's electric vehicles are approaching maturity. In 2021, the global sales of electric vehicles was about 8 million, of which 57% come from China. The Chinese market has spawned a large number of excellent Chinese electric vehicle manufacturers, and 8 of the top 10 electric vehicle manufacturers in the world are from China. Although BYD is strong, its position in China is not unshakable.

Eventually, fuel vehicles will decline and be replaced by electric vehicles. This is a general trend that cannot be changed.

However, the competition among electric vehicle enterprises is still in its early stage. Although Tesla and BYD now have an advantage, with the maturity of the European electric vehicle market, BMW may become the third giant. The decline of Japanese automobile manufacturing industry is inevitable.

China's electric vehicles are approaching maturity. In 2021, the global sales of electric vehicles was about 8 million, of which 57% come from China. The Chinese market has spawned a large number of excellent Chinese electric vehicle manufacturers, and 8 of the top 10 electric vehicle manufacturers in the world are from China. Although BYD is strong, its position in China is not unshakable.

It will be VW not BMW. BMW has already flopped on its I-3. It sold poorly in the US.

Why would BMW want to sell mainstream cars. They sell high profit margin cars. That's like Apple suddenly selling a sub $100 phone.

Well I guess 2009 has finally come to BYD...13 years later.
BYD at the 2009 Auto show announcing the 100% EV "World Car". Something that of course never happened as it pretty much didn't make it out of China in volume.
To be honest, their cars were crap until recently. So explains why they never made it that far in the 1st place. 😅

This is where NIO with it's world class styling and branding will eventually eclipse BYD.
Agree, Nio sounds more cool/catchy and better than TANG or SONG etc that BYD keeps coming out with. 🤣

it's just in australia. distributor selling the same car in new zealand have longer warranty and much lower service prices. the same in europe. in china, some byd vehicles have lifetime warranty.
Who can tell if distributors in other countries won't do something similar now or going down the line ? Distributor's want to make as much profits as they can, so they can charge silly fees which the manufacturer isn't even aware of, making many customers to cancel their order and go for better competitor.
As I said, if you want something done properly and objectively then do it yourself, especially in a new market where you have an even better competitor like TESLA who is already established. You have no room for such mistakes. Will be okay if you have a monopoly , but that's not the case.

Last edited:
This is where NIO with it's world class styling and branding will eventually eclipse BYD.
NIO's market positioning is different from BYD's.

BYD produces mainstream electric vehicles, and its models usually sell for $20000 to $30000 in China. NIO produces high-end electric vehicles, and its models usually sell for more than $80000.

NIO's competitor is not BYD.

NIO
IMG_20220902_155832.jpg

BYD
IMG_20220902_155924.jpg

Seriously I don't know who comes out with this Chinese names. Lol can't they pick a catchy simple name that is relatable with anyone around the world and that can spread better ?
They should learn from bytedance "Tiktok". Simple , easy, catchy and cool. They really need good marketing teams. Name often matters as well.

You are just used to world view where English and western sounding names ,the meaning for which you can understand, are acceptable and cool.

But it's about normalizing,educating,and showcasing the meaning behind and appeal; with proper promotion of tech,industrial capabilities and soft-power,people may find those names which you think are wierd,as cool in the future .
China should use more authentic chinese names rather than half baked Chinese-English translated names,

it's just in australia. distributor selling the same car in new zealand have longer warranty and much lower service prices. the same in europe. in china, some byd vehicles have lifetime warranty.
And Australia is just a small market.

Electric vehicles are more expensive than fuel vehicles, and rely on better infrastructure, requiring the construction of a large number of charging stations.

So the potential market for electric vehicles is those high-income countries. Unlike Chinese fuel vehicle enterprises, Chinese electric vehicle enterprises need more efforts to enter other markets after they occupy the Chinese market. Sometimes they even need political help from the Chinese govt.

Therefore, I think that Chinese electric vehicle enterprises have actually met a new hurdle. They obviously have less advantages than Tesla in the international market.

On the contrary, China's lithium battery enterprises can enter the international market much more smoothly, and they should continue to monopolize this field for a long time.
If u live in stand alone houses. You can install a home charger in your own parking or garage. Everyday charging without need to go petrol koisk.

NIO's market positioning is different from BYD's.

BYD produces mainstream electric vehicles, and its models usually sell for $20000 to $30000 in China. NIO produces high-end electric vehicles, and its models usually sell for more than $80000.

NIO's competitor is not BYD.

NIO
View attachment 875570

BYD
View attachment 875571
All the more reason NIO will be market leader, especially when they put out their cheaper models in the $30-$40 range. They already have ET5 which is a direct competitor to model 3 in fact offers much better performance at a cheaper price.

Additionally, with higher quality and styling NIO is better suited to succeed in the international market versus BYD. People in the West will be vary buying Chinese made vehicle and particularly so if they look like the garbage like above BYD is putting out. At least NIO has a shot.

And Australia is just a small market.

If u live in stand alone houses. You can install a home charger in your own parking or garage. Everyday charging without need to go petrol koisk.
No alone house is required.

In China, even underground parking lots in residential areas usually install independent charging equipment for each parking space.

I am not questioning whether China can popularize charging equipment. China is certainly the fastest country to popularize charging equipment. I am questioning countries in Africa and other regions.

IMG_20220903_015409.jpg
IMG_20220903_015416.jpg

The class is different.

Tesla is a high-class expensive car, while BYD is a cheap car.

It's like comparing Roll Royce vs Toyota, of course, Toyota sells more.

The class is different.

Tesla is a high-class expensive car, while BYD is a cheap car.

It's like comparing Roll Royce vs Toyota, of course, Toyota sells more.

wrong analogy. tesla is not at level of roll royce. the price difference between RR and toyota is too wide apart. lol

starting price in china

byd tang $45k
byd han $33k
model y $49k
model 3 $42k

Last edited:
All the more reason NIO will be market leader, especially when they put out their cheaper models in the $30-$40 range. They already have ET5 which is a direct competitor to model 3 in fact offers much better performance at a cheaper price.

Additionally, with higher quality and styling NIO is better suited to succeed in the international market versus BYD. People in the West will be vary buying Chinese made vehicle and particularly so if they look like the garbage like above BYD is putting out. At least NIO has a shot.
Looks like Garbage?

byd-han-scaled-1.jpg

BYD-SEAL_2.jpg

If you want to troll. At least troll with standard. Such outright lies is not gonna fool anyone.

Even Tesla buys BYD blade battery. Big capacity, low cost( no nickel no cobalt ) , high quality, ultra safety.

No alone house is required.

In China, even underground parking lots in residential areas usually install independent charging equipment for each parking space.

I am not questioning whether China can popularize charging equipment. China is certainly the fastest country to popularize charging equipment. I am questioning countries in Africa and other regions.

View attachment 875672View attachment 875673
That is why EV is for highly develop nation. And these mature market buys large number of car. I don't think Chinese or western EV will target African or south Asia market.

You are just used to world view where English and western sounding names ,the meaning for which you can understand, are acceptable and cool.

But it's about normalizing,educating,and showcasing the meaning behind and appeal; with proper promotion of tech,industrial capabilities and soft-power,people may find those names which you think are wierd,as cool in the future .
China should use more authentic chinese names rather than half baked Chinese-English translated names,
Even Chinese do not think so.

I have worked with Chinese nationals with multiple names, invariably one with a proper western name.

Even Chinese do not think so.

I have worked with Chinese nationals with multiple names, invariably one with a proper western name.
I have no interest in debating with someone who is entirely and willingly clueless .
You need to update yourself with genz trends in world view and pop culture.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom