What's new

After 25 years, C-17 production line is closed

The cost of the C17 is simply far too high and for the strategic long range transport, the 10 we bought are enough at the moment, but there must be an additional order to add the heavy / out sized load lift capability, since IAF wanted additional C17. The new IL476 is on offer, A400M, the AN70 and hopefully even the C-2, while the first one will offer comparable heavy load capability, the latter would complement the C17 more, by transporting heavy loads in and around India in a more efficient way.
Yes Sir. Since additional C-17s will no longer be available, I see IL-476 has a good chance in future. Also It will be alot cheaper with 10-20% improvements in range, load and fuel consumption over IL-76s. There are other options too but I doubt that they will be more costly.

Also It will be alot cheaper with 10-20% improvements in range, load and fuel consumption over IL-76s. There are other options too but I doubt that they will be more costly.

Over older IL76 yes, but not compared to the smaller or even prop engined alternatives. Even Russian AF is going to a mix of long range IL476 and AN 70, while we have the long range covered with C17s, so taking a more efficient alternative would be good for IAF too.

Back
Top Bottom