What's new

Africa and Pakistan Face Polio Outbreaks, in Blow to Global Fight

Coltsfan

BANNED
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/health/polio-outbreaks-seen-on-two-continents.html?_r=0

The global effort to eradicate polio, a disease that has been on the brink of extinction for years, is facing serious setbacks on two continents. The virus is surging in Somalia and the Horn of Africa, which had been largely free of cases for several years. And a new outbreak has begun in a part of Pakistan that a warlord declared off limits to vaccinators 14 months ago.

The new Pakistan outbreak is in North Waziristan, near the frontier with Afghanistan. It is in an area where a warlord banned polio vaccinations after it was disclosed that the C.I.A. had staged a hepatitis vaccination campaign in its hunt for Osama bin Laden. The warlord, Hafiz Gul Bahadur, banned all efforts until American drone strikes ended.

Although only three North Waziristan children have suffered polio paralysis since then, even one case shows that the virus is in the area and could spread.

The new outbreaks may delay a recently announced $5.5 billion plan to eradicate polio by 2018. Nonetheless, public health officials still believe that, with enough local political will and donor money, they can prevail by using techniques that have worked before.

Before the Waziristan outbreak, Pakistan had seen only 24 cases this year, about as many as it had at the same point in 2012. Most were around Karachi and Peshawar, where last year’s killings of the vaccinators took place and where resistance to vaccines is highest.

Rest of the world has to pay for Pakistani incompetence, again!:hitwall:

we should ban Pakistani citizens coming to India otherwise it's gonna make our hard work back to zero too.

we should ban Pakistani citizens coming to India otherwise it's gonna make our hard work back to zero too.

Since when do Pakistanis come to India :crazy:
It would be like American going to Zimbabwe :lol:

I didn't knew u had problem using google. Just google the keyword and u would know. Oh I heard list time even ur president was in India ? Oocch that must hv hurt ur ego.

Brother, Pakistanis call themselves Indians in Amreeka too. I strongly condemn it. That's a very bad thing to do. I am sure those so called Indians go to Zimbabwe.

I hope we get over this polio so that everyone can go everywhere.

Even if they don't come to India, their inability to fully execute the Polio program means that this disease will continue to affect kids everywhere, instead of being eradicated for good.

its like saying ban Indians coming to neighbouring countries to avoid catching AIDS.

@Coltsfan whenever you come your clone also comes posting urghhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited by a moderator:
what a useless thread, what purpose it serves in defense site

its like saying ban Indians coming to neighbouring countries to avoid catching AIDS.

@Coltsfan whenever you come your clone also comes posting urghhhhhhhhhhh

U do understand AIDS and polio are not same dont u? poor kid would never know when it had hit hi
And for aids u can be safe if u wanna keep urself. And again it would apply on those who have totally finished aids in thr country. So do not put up such examples. But again I know the standard of PDF best members. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom