What's new

Aesa Radar ” Uttam ” for Tejas MK-II been tested Air-to- Air mode

I think information about DRDO is OK. But you may be giving information about you. Not sure if you are concerned about that. Just a thought, please don't mind

I neither work there,nor i know any info that might be "classified",i mean i dont have to when DRDO lets out a great deal of information via open channels like seminars(which i always attend),then their research papers,newsletters etc.As for my intern too,they never let out anything that might be of confidential nature.I hope that clears things up?
The in-depth analysis is based on my own engineering experience my friend,

I neither work there,nor i know any info that might be "classified",i mean i dont have to when DRDO lets out a great deal of information via open channels like seminars(which i always attend),then their research papers,newsletters etc.As for my intern too,they never let out anything that might be of confidential nature.I hope that clears things up?
The in-depth analysis is based on my own engineering experience my friend,

Besides at that rate the open source publications of the DRDO would have doomed national security by now. :p:

As for Uttam, patience children, it will emerge in good time and given the "agile beam" function and the characteristic robustness of a solid state aperture it will be a game changer.

"agile beam" function and the characteristic robustness of a solid state aperture it will be a game changer.

Hi @Dillinger
Indeed dillinger,indeed,the introduction of ADCs down to antenna level means higher degree of control vis-a-vis earlier beam forming in analog domain.Back in my 2nd year,i got to know that interestingly RCI was spearheading research in digital beam forming.It is really a moment of pride for all of india's radar research fraternity that ashwin and arudhra boasts of DBF and in all likelyhood,L-273 will feature DBF as well

Though off topic, but how soon do you expect to see a indigenous turbofan engine and a more mature aesa platform, also is india making any progress on technologies like IRST. @ kinetic

Hi @Dillinger
Indeed dillinger,indeed,the introduction of ADCs down to antenna level means higher degree of control vis-a-vis earlier beam forming in analog domain.Back in my 2nd year,i got to know that interestingly RCI was spearheading research in digital beam forming.It is really a moment of pride for all of india's radar research fraternity that ashwin and arudhra boasts of DBF and in all likelyhood,L-273 will feature DBF as well

I am more concerned about getting the production standards up. Conceiving and building the radar is now within our means, lets just hope it get converted into a bankable product.

I am more concerned about getting the production standards up. Conceiving and building the radar is now within our means, lets just hope it get converted into a bankable product.

Based on? We still haven't seen any reliable source about the puls doppler radar development for LCA MK1 right? The same issues with A2G modes were even the reasons why DRDO had to ask Elta for help and why, the radar is supposed to be a hybrid of the EL 2032. And all the article is talking about is software being developed, while pointing out at the same time that the development is a long shot and that Elta's help might be requested again.

Based on? We still haven't seen any reliable source about the puls doppler radar development for LCA MK1 right? The same issues with A2G modes were even the reasons why DRDO had to ask Elta for help and why, the radar is supposed to be a hybrid of the EL 2032. And all the article is talking about is software being developed, while pointing out at the same time that the development is a long shot and that Elta's help might be requested again.

Well if with Elta's help they deliver a world class product & learn something new at the same time then I don't think there is any harm taking help & Israel is a reliable ally

I am more concerned about getting the production standards up.

Hi @Dillinger
The production of the radar in all likelyhood would be done by astra microwaves(as they are the ones who supplied TRMM for both AEWCS and RISAT-1.The main challenge was developing A2G modes as has been highlighted by ex director of LRDE when he came to lecture at IISC bangalore.I have excerpts from his slide.
Look down modes are of various types,some of them are-
(a) Look down- ground moving target detection and tracking
Challenges:
(i)Clutter spreads in doppler domain due to platform motion.
(ii)Waveform optimization to maximize detection against background clutter.

(b)Look down- mapping operations
Challenges associated with SAR:
(a)Platform motion compensation
(i)Transfer alignment of master slave navigation system
(ii)Data derived motion compensation-auto focus
(b)Spotligh SAR
(i)Compensation of motion through range cells
(ii)Detection of Ground moving Targets - low velocity (relative) targets
(iii)Conventional MTI cannot serve the purpose as these targets gets submerged in the Main Lobe Clutter

(c)Look down- ground ranging
(d)Look down - air to sea ops
Out of all these,the first one is perhaps the most challenging to implement.However he was also describing various breakthroughs they have had in slotted planar MMR ,although at present,2032 is the main FCR of all the tejas

@Dillinger
And here are some of the major focus areas where they have had various degrees of breakthroughs-
(a)Prominent point identification method
(b)Block matching algo
(c)Detection and paramter estimation
(i)With/Without time frequency analysis
(d)Displaced phase centre antenna
(e)Space time adaptive processing.

PS- Please make a note of the last point as it is the most challenging from signal processing point of view
@Donatello
These are some of the areas where LRDE had breakthrough

Well if with Elta's help they deliver a world class product & learn something new at the same time then I don't think there is any harm taking help & Israel is a reliable ally
Of course, any help is welcomed and the Israelis helped DRDO a lot in the radar field. But first we must get them on board and they need US approval to share anything from the 2052, till then we remain limited to what DRDO develops and before the puls doppler MMR is ready and proven with good performance, it's pointless to put too much hopes on an AESA development.
Still amazed how little use we take from French companies, that will divert similart techs and systems through MMRCA to India anyway and focusing on commonalities, rather making LCA more interational than it already is.

MK2 have more power, and Aesa radars requires more power from powerplants. Test on Mk1 might not be so effective.

Not necessarily, Rafale, EF or J10B will have AESAs withouth changing the engines.

Of course, any help is welcomed and the Israelis helped DRDO a lot in the radar field. But first we must get them on board and they need US approval to share anything from the 2052, till then we remain limited to what DRDO develops and before the puls doppler MMR is ready and proven with good performance, it's pointless to put too much hopes on an AESA development.
Still amazed how little use we take from French companies, that will divert similart techs and systems through MMRCA to India anyway and focusing on commonalities, rather making LCA more interational than it already is.

Not necessarily, Rafale, EF or J10B will have AESAs withouth changing the engines.

Have nt you heard of THALES - BEL joint venture

Google

Have nt you heard of THALES - BEL joint venture

Which has nothing to do with this radar development and that was the point, that DRDO don't try to include Thales in the development to speed up or simplify things.

Back
Top Bottom