What's new

? Aegis for India

Jeju islanders want love, not war
By Matthew Reiss

......On completion of Seoul's new fleet, the Lockheed-Hyundai partnership plans to market Aegis ships to India.......

Asia Times Online :: Korea News and Korean Business and Economy, Pyongyang News

Quote the context please

Chinese Air Force Colonel Dai Xu, a frequent commentator of strategic issues, describes ABM deployments on Japanese and now on Korean ships as "a crescent-shaped ring of encirclement", which "begins in Japan, stretches through nations in the South China Sea, to India and ends in Afghanistan". On completion of Seoul's new fleet, the Lockheed-Hyundai partnership plans to market Aegis ships to India.

A chinese air force colonel is not a neutral source. I.e. one has to take into account the slant he might be giving to the story.

23 Apr 2009

US aerospace major Lockheed Martin has briefed the Indian Navy on its ship-mounted Aegis ballistic missile defence system and is also open to integrating it with indigenously developed armament.

The company is open to collaborating with India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on integrating its Prithvi Air Defence Shield (PADS) with the Aegis launcher and command and control system.

Apart from the US Navy, the Aegis system is operational on Japanese, South Korean, Norwegian, Spanish and Australian naval vessels.
Weapon and Technology: Aegis system could be operational for Indian Navy

What other defence projects are you expecting out of India.
Ambassador Douglas A. Hartwick, CEO of Lockheed Martin India Pvt. Ltd.: We are discussing with the Indian Navy for a possible sale of the Aegis Combat System which is the heart of the combat system for US Navy. We know that India is designing and building a lot of naval ships. You have to design a ship with an integrated combat system in mind. The Aegis is a powerful and capable system for integrating on-board weapons and for ship-to-ship communication. For this sale to happen in India, the governments of the two countries have to work together.
Lockheed Martin offers Aegis Combat System to Indian Navy : Defense news

Lockheed Martin May Outsource Production of Aegis Missile Defense System to India

Dated 12/5/2009

U.S. defence industry giant Lockheed Martin said it is open to using some Indian components if chosen to supply the country's navy with its Aegis ballistic missile defense system.

"Because of the way the Aegis combat system is constructed, there is the ability to put specific indigenous capabilities in portions of it," Ric Rushton, director for sea-based missile defense at the firm, said late Monday.

He said the system is built on the principle of "open architecture", allowing countries buying it to use parts made at home, in the same way Japan and South Korea did.
Lockheed Martin May Outsource Production of Aegis Missile Defense System to India | India Defence

While there is an indication of AEGIS briefing to India and possibility of cooperation with India's defence industry in this area, there is no mention of involvement of Hyundai. Which is not to say Hyundai and Lockheed are not cooperating.

Hyundai, Lockheed Team Up on Aegis Build

July 22, 2009

US defence group Lockheed Martin and South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Industries will team up to build and export mid-size warships equipped with advanced Aegis weapons systems, an official said Wednesday.

They signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) in May 2006 to jointly produce Aegis-equipped guided missile ships, Hyundai Heavy spokesman Cho Woo-Tae said. Cho said it is thought to be very rare for Lockheed to partner with a foreign company to produce Aegis-equipped vessels for possible sale to a third country.

Aegis, one of the most advanced naval defence systems, is designed to simultaneously track and destroy a multiple number of incoming missiles.

Asked why the agreement was not made public for three years, the spokesman said Hyundai Heavy rarely discloses MoUs. “I believe Lockheed decided to disclose it to the media probably because there is some progress in looking for buyers.”

Hyundai Heavy is the world’s biggest shipbuilder.
“The idea is that the partnership would make it possible to build high profit-margin warships at a reasonable price,” said Cho.
Concrete terms need to be fixed but the two firms could produce 4,000 to 6,000-ton ships under the joint project, Cho said.
He added the vessels could be sold to third countries such as India but no firm decisions had been made given the sensitivity of the technology.

South Korea’s navy in May 2007 launched its first Aegis-equipped warship, the 7,600-ton Sejong the Great, jointly built by Hyundai and Lockheed. It was used to track North Korea’s long-range rocket launch in April, along with US Aegis ships.

South Korea plans to launch a second Aegis destroyer in 2010 and a third in 2012, in an attempt to keep up with the naval powers of Japan and China.
Hyundai, Lockheed Team Up on Aegis Build Asian Defence Industry Monitor

Russian would be so happy to get access to technology :P I just heard that some russians were caught in US for trying to drink bear with some high officials , yeah I am sure Aegis will be great for Russia:coffee:

^^^Then we will say--THANKS but NO THANKS...we are already getting 3 carriers which are enough to fulfill our demands...

BTW we are actually inducting P-8 with USN..;)

if the news is true then aegis systems can b integrated with the PAD anti ballistic sheild on kolkata class destroyers

oh man we should buy this blindly :rofl:

wat else can i say

this is cool warfare system to have in

enough to give nightmares to our enemies :rofl:

oh man we should buy this blindly :rofl:

wat else can i say

this is cool warfare system to have in

enough to give nightmares to our enemies :rofl:

Good system. But I don't understand any logic to start rolling on the floor.
:disagree:

@Areesh
Good system. But I don't understand any logic to start rolling on the floor.
:disagree:

at first sentence i was rolling on the floor for our politicians -they will some how mess this up,and offcourse % for our politicians

and last one i cant reveal it ;it will turn into flame

Wasnt it in news long back??

Bush Officials Defend India Nuclear Deal - washingtonpost.com

But Pentagon officials said they considered many of the potential sales, including anti-submarine patrol aircraft that could spot Chinese submarines in the Indian Ocean and Aegis radar for Indian destroyers operating in the strategic Straits of Malaka, as useful for monitoring the Chinese military.

Please do distinguish offerings and sales. There are no sales to India yet of any AEGIS or F-35. Just presentations/briefings about the systems have been given by the company that is interested to sell. It remains to be seen if and when orders actually materialize. Among other things, that depends on India's budget, alternative offerings (there is substantial SAM/Radar cooperation with Israel), and approval of exports by the US government (notably Congress).

Lokheed Martin is attracted towards the money offered by Indian and dats why they r trying to sell dere latest products. Right now they are just wooing India by presentations b/c they cannot sell these technologies without some agreements which India will have to sign in order to get these technologies. But Aegis, imagine Aegis with Akash or Brahmos. Its a beauty....

Lokheed Martin is attracted towards the money offered by Indian and dats why they r trying to sell dere latest products. Right now they are just wooing India by presentations b/c they cannot sell these technologies without some agreements which India will have to sign in order to get these technologies. But Aegis, imagine Aegis with Akash or Brahmos. Its a beauty....

Irrespective of what companies do, there can be no arms trade without governments on both end providing approval (i.e. India:defence procurement and funding decisions and US: export permission).

Back
Top Bottom