What's new

A2/AD - How to Kill a Carrier Outside the Persian Gulf

AmirPatriot

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
By Amir Tuesday, February 27, 2018
Since the revolution, Iran's naval doctrine has largely focused on the Persian Gulf, exploiting the tight space to its advantage against a powerful symmetric foe.

But we cannot remain confined to the Persian Gulf. Modern naval aircraft like the F-35C will have a combat radius exceeding 1000 km, which means they can sit outside the range of our coastal anti-ship missile sites and launch hordes of standoff weapons. With the same principle, Tomahawk equipped destroyers can strike deep inside Iran. And let's face it, a handful of lightly armed frigates with no air cover are largely helpless in front of 2 Carrier Strike Groups.

000-Kh-41-1S.jpg

P-270 Moskit aka Sunburn ASCM

How do you stop an adversary from sitting outside the range of your defences? Simple. Extend the reach of your defences.

Please click the link below for the full blog post and analysis.

https://irangeomil.blogspot.com/2018/02/a2ad-how-to-kill-carrier-outside.html

I've been writing this for a few days, have a read and tell me what you think! :D

For Iran it would be ideal to take over UAE I would not mind if Iran occupys UAE
UAE has been annoying me greatly

There are plenty of F16 in UAE it would help beef up Iranian forces

article-2607731-1D2CF28400000578-261_964x643.jpg

Last edited:
But you know actually occupying UAE/ Iran port you control the passage of all oil from Gulf

:cheers:

UAE is like little innocent girl , have no man power just have some big buildings and some Indians running around in Honda civic

If I was a dictator , UAE would be history

persian-gulf-or-arabian-gulf2.jpg

Last edited:
Since the revolution, Iran's naval doctrine has largely focused on the Persian Gulf, exploiting the tight space to its advantage against a powerful symmetric foe.

But we cannot remain confined to the Persian Gulf. Modern naval aircraft like the F-35C will have a combat radius exceeding 1000 km, which means they can sit outside the range of our coastal anti-ship missile sites and launch hordes of standoff weapons. With the same principle, Tomahawk equipped destroyers can strike deep inside Iran. And let's face it, a handful of lightly armed frigates with no air cover are largely helpless in front of 2 Carrier Strike Groups.

000-Kh-41-1S.jpg

How do you stop an adversary from sitting outside the range of your defences? Simple. Extend the reach of your defences.

I've been writing this for a few days, have a read and tell me what you think! :D

Really excellent article.

It is nice read but there are many questions here that needs an answer. First of all what ever approach you make to take out a carrier one has to understand that an Aircraft carrier always travel in a carrier group and has many defences with it. Like destroyers and many types of Anti air batteries for various situations. There are different approaches that can be used to defeat a carrier group but in the end the carrier group is always loaded with vast variety of countermeasures. China is walking down the Path of Hypersonic weapons but implementation of those weapons is a bit years away. Until then China has ballistic missiles to take out carriers and USA has Anti Ballistic missiles to defend it's self. One of the best ways to counter carriers is Submarines but then again there are sonars and sub hunter air crafts to counter that. In the end it is a cat and mouse game depending on technology. There is one area of attack that has the least counter measures and is least defended and that is underwater. torpedoes have been the most successful method if a sub is able to get in range. now the hard part is to get a sub in range. then again there is issue of under water and on water speed issues. Under water assets have less speed and on water assets have higher speed thus can avoid the attack by maintaining safe distance. To my assessment currently the best carrier killer weapon resides with Russia which is VA-111 Shkval.

I'm sure it wouldn't be that easy for Iran to take over UAE and gain F-16s. Unless they attack with such speed and force that surprises the hell out of everyone, the moment UAE feels something's wrong, they fly all of their assets over to KSA. Also other countries are not just gonna sit and watch for Iran gain such a huge strategic upper hand in the region and the world. Just remember Saddam and the Kuwait blunder.

It is nice read but there are many questions here that needs an answer. First of all what ever approach you make to take out a carrier one has to understand that an Aircraft carrier always travel in a carrier group and has many defences with it. Like destroyers and many types of Anti air batteries for various situations. There are different approaches that can be used to defeat a carrier group but in the end the carrier group is always loaded with vast variety of countermeasures.

That's why the actual payloads (missiles) that are being proposed to attack the carrier are supersonic and low flying, or ballistic. With this approach, I intend to bypass all the defences. The rest of the post is how they are delivered, protected, and developed.

There is one area of attack that has the least counter measures and is least defended and that is underwater. torpedoes have been the most successful method if a sub is able to get in range. now the hard part is to get a sub in range. then again there is issue of under water and on water speed issues. Under water assets have less speed and on water assets have higher speed thus can avoid the attack by maintaining safe distance. To my assessment currently the best carrier killer weapon resides with Russia which is VA-111 Shkval.

I mentioned submarines briefly - perhaps I should have talked about them more. As I understand, although Iran has copied the VA-111 Shkval in the form of the Hoot torpedo, the Shkval is effectively a melee weapon owing to its lack of guidance.

I'm sure it wouldn't be that easy for Iran to take over UAE and gain F-16s. Unless they attack with such speed and force that surprises the hell out of everyone, the moment UAE feels something's wrong, they fly all of their assets over to KSA. Also other countries are not just gonna sit and watch for Iran gain such a huge strategic upper hand in the region and the world. Just remember Saddam and the Kuwait blunder.

:offtopic:

Here is the Image of Hoot

Irani torpeedo.jpg

The problem with Hoot is that it has no guidance system because the speed at which these torpedo travel they cannot sense the target but if fired in straight line they are fast enough to take out target before the target can maneuver.

000-Kh-41-1S.jpg

Love the effort you put into your works Amir!

Kudos to you and keep it up!!!

That's why the actual payloads (missiles) that are being proposed to attack the carrier are supersonic and low flying, or ballistic. With this approach, I intend to bypass all the defences. The rest of the post is how they are delivered, protected, and developed.

One thing you need to understand here is that faster the target the easier it is to take out. Either you exceed the super sonic barrier and become hypersonic only then you can evade the anti missile systems.

Airship carriers are very noisy and are easy targets for torpedoes but the difficult part is to get a sub in range to shoot a torpedo because the ships that surround carriers are sub killers and many helicopters in the carrier group are also sub killers. So in my limited knowledge the best weapon to kill a carrier will be a slow moving terrain hugging stealth cruise missile with a torpedo war head.

UAE is busy with Las Vegas style partying they are not really known for their 1 vs 1 hand combat

Those days of beliving the bullshit propaganda are over
The UAE F16 would be juicy addition for Iranian military

000-Kh-41-1S.jpg

Few things I'd like your opinion/answer on:

1.) Does Iran have a platform to launch the Hoot from, or is it still in development? (i.e: Fateh Sub.)

2.) Brig. Gen. Hossein Salami said in an interview that Iran has equipped telemetric targeting systems on its BM's; i.e: allowing them to hit Carrier's vertically upon re-entry. Would this be better than an ASBM Sejjil?

One thing you need to understand here is that faster the target the easier it is to take out. Either you exceed the super sonic barrier and become hypersonic only then you can evade the anti missile systems.

So in my limited knowledge the best weapon to kill a carrier will be a slow moving terrain hugging stealth cruise missile with a torpedo war head.

In the final stages of its flight, an anti-ship missile dives down to a very low level until it is "sea skimming". The Sunburn actually flies at just 20 metres. This is so low that you don't even need stealth - the missile just hugs the horizon and is out of line of sight, therefore cannot be detected by radars. It is only until it approaches to very close range that it passes the horizon and is visible. But at this stage, the ship's defences only have 25 seconds to react because the missile is flying at Mach 2.2. The Sunburn can also pull 10 g in this stage.

Speed is absolutely necessary to attack ships, hypersonics are a whole different ball game and only Russia is working on a hypersonic ASCM (note: cruise missile).

Back
Top Bottom