A view of Hong Kong that will never see light in any Western Media

DF41

Reaction score
Country
China
From my WhatsApp feed.

[02/04, 08:39] C B: Personal story of a HK lady

"HONG KONG 2020 – LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT"

I was born and raised in Hong Kong under British Colonial rule. We were groomed to have manners, respect our parents and teachers. We had discipline. Did we complain? No. I think it was great training. I taught my kids the same way.

During the 60s and 70s, people in Hong Kong just focused on making money. Nobody paid attention to politics, it was not an option.Only very few top Hong Kong citizens got involved with law-making and execution. Top Government posts were dominated by British Gwei-los (鬼佬).

Did we complain? No. Did we ask for democracy and voting rights? No. It was simply unimaginable. Some people now ask for return to the old days. Do they really know what it was like? 747 landing at Kai Tak Airport in the 1970s. Very different HK then.

By the early 80s, people started talking about 1997. I remember in secondary school, our teachers said “ah, no worries, nobody really pay attention to the lease. Life goes on.” But people started paying attention, and the British and Chinese government started negotiations.

Then came June 4, 1989 (another long story), which recent events led many of us to believe that fake and manipulated news already started back then. Which then led to the emigration wave of the early 90s.

My parents emigrated to Canada, like the rest of their friends and relatives. By then I was already in the US, completed my undergraduate studies, started law school and was all ready to settle in the US for the rest of my life.

We were a bit worried about Hong Kong and its future. We thought Communist China was such a scary place, poor and backward, no freedom and democracy. Must be hell to live there. No way will I ever go visit, let alone live there. NEVER!!!

Beautiful San Francisco! I don’t miss it, but the years there shaped who I am today.

Then came 1997, Hong Kong did not sink under the ocean. People who stayed were still there. My sister’s family lived there, life went on.

Then came the 1998 financial crisis, who’s fault? Irrelevant here, didn’t affect me. Then came 911 in the US (2001), who’s fault? Let’s not go there.

It so happened my husband had been interviewing and received a job offer to go to Shanghai. We figured the US economy would be in a ditch for quite some time post 911. He accepted the offer on September 11 and moved to Shanghai December 2001.

By 2001, I was married, with a set of 5 years old twins, and a good stable job. But both my husband and I were not truly happy in the US. We were NEVER discriminated against, we had good jobs, we voted and all that. But we never felt we belong there and did not really assimilate into mainstream American life.

Fears of terrorism scared me. So when the opportunity to go China arose, I was quite open to consider it. The fear of Communist China had dissipated, and we were hearing good things about the changes already happening there. So kids and I followed in December 2003.

NEVER SAY NEVER!!!

Beautiful Shanghai! My experiences in China made me a wiser, more resourceful and tougher person.

Shanghai was A M A Z I N G. In the early 2000s, there was still a lot of construction. We settled in a nice apartment, kids in international schools (even with special ed support).

We were brave to invest in real estate (against all our friends’ warnings* *about risk and lack of RMB liquidity blah blah blah). We travelled everywhere in China, and Asia, and went back to Hong Kong regularly.

Not for one second did we feel we had less freedom than when we were in the US. Yeah yeah, FB, Google and Whatsapp were blocked, we just used VPN. We even tested the legal system, won a lawsuit, and got compensated fairly.

Resourceful people can be anywhere. Exploit the good and avoid the bad. Survival of the fittest. Which brings me to my next point. There is no utopia on earth, and there is no perfect country or government that can ensure anyone’s wellbeing or happiness.

America has been practicing “democracy” for 200 years, and look who they elected for President? Trump, arguably the worst head of state in history. And see what a mess it was just this past election. And we still want to follow them?

Please, really NEVER NEVER NEVER.

Democracy or 民主 in Chinese, really means rule by popular vote? What if it’s 51-49? And you are part of the 49? You would still be pissed right? And your problems still unsolved, still no job, no car, no house, then what?

So “共产党 the Chinese Communist Party” sounds spine-chilling and blood-curdling, right? Images of the Cultural Revolution and June 4 immediately comes to mind. But even if those were huge mistakes (arguable now with June 4), those events happened 60 and 30 years ago.

How come no one talks about the Japanese Nanjing Massacre or Hitler Concentration camps anymore. Such selective memory. Or is it because the media only choose to remind us of all the bad things China has done or may have done.

I choose to forget and forgive. I choose to believe only what I see and experience myself. I lived in the US for 20 years, then Shanghai 15 years, and now we have been back in Hong Kong since 2016. I think I am qualified to compare because mine are real life first hand experiences.

In the US, I saw inefficiencies, chaos and frustration created by a so-called democratic system. How many airports or infrastructure projects have the US completed in the past 30 years?

I also saw the lack of respect for authority, discipline or hierarchy justified by so-called rights of privacy, freedom and democracy.

When in China, I witnessed the sincerity and immense country-wide efforts of the entire Chinese nation during the 2008 Olympics and 2010 Expo, how they welcomed the whole world to China, showed the world how much they progressed and how ready and willing China was to become a responsible player in the new world order.

I also observed how an entire new generation of Mainland Chinese people, in all echelons of life, demonstrated such burning desire to excel, and as a result drastically improved their standard of living.

Now I am back in Hong Kong, my hometown, I see a society torn apart by political views. People are either blue (pro-China) or yellow (anti-China).

Government efforts to encourage young people to find jobs in the Greater Bay Area (11 cities including Hong Kong and Macau in Southern China) or seniors to retire there, get bashed by reporters as efforts to “sell” Hong Kong or to deplete precious human resources from Hong Kong.

I am still so shocked when I hear these accusations. Why are Hong Kong people so biased? Maybe we left Hong Kong too many years, we don’t understand how they feel?

We were willing to move to Shanghai from the US in 2001 because we saw an opportunity, and we survived, very well.

It’s a “no-brainer” that China will do so much better than the rest of the world, post-COVID, and our young Hong Kong “talents” don’t see that. I am appalled.

There is no utopia, yet any place can be utopia.

Just take this COVID crisis and compare how the US and China handled the battle.

Yes, arguably there’s no “privacy” in China, but compulsory real-name authenticated phone numbers, facial recognition, CCTVs everywhere, quick complete lock down of communities and whole cities, compulsory testing and quarantine, enabled China to completely eradicate the virus in several months, with very few cases now, mainly imported.

Of course, there were some initial sacrifices, but the individual freedom and rights gave way to the greater good.

In the words of China’s foreign affairs spokeswoman, “Chinese people have never in recent history displayed a higher sense of happiness, pride, safety and security” and politely asked the CNN reporter to stop asking biased questions with no factual basis.

I cannot agree more.

China just wants to be left alone. But God forbid China is now ahead in some areas like 5G technology. There will be no end to accusations of China disturbing the world order and having aggressive intentions.

以小人之心度君子之腹 and 贼喊着贼 are two Chinese sayings that accurately describe what the US likes to do. (Google translate if you don’t read Chinese, but you may not get the exact connotation. Learn Chinese or watch Mainland Chinese soap operas. 5000 years of wisdom there).

As a Hong Kong (SAR) Chinese citizen, I hold a passport that allows me visa-free entry into most countries in the world. I pay the lowest income taxes compared to most countries in the world, and zero capital gains tax. I hold a Mainland Travel Permit that allows me to live and work in China with no restriction, and increasing benefits provided by the Greater Bay Area Plan.

We are the envy of all 1.4 billion people inside China who have to pay more taxes and receive less privileges and freedom to travel. And we all just take it for granted.

During this COVID crisis, the Hong Kong government pays for all medical costs associated with forced quarantine and confirmed cases admitted to hospitals. Even mild cases are admitted to hospitals and not just asked to stay home and get better like in most countries.

Hong Kong is and will always be an inseparable part of China. Hong Kong has its own identity, it will always be special, like Shanghai and Beijing are special too.

Because of our history, we are fortunate to have choices. There is absolutely nothing wrong with emigrating to US, Canada or UK. My generation has been there and done that.

We have many friends and family happily settled in the US/Canada/UK, albeit they are frustrated because Trump made their lives miserable too.

But those who choose to leave Hong Kong now because media and hallucinations lead them to believe that Hong Kong will decline and there will be no more freedom and rights blah blah blah, then I guarantee you, they will miss the best ride ever and regret it for the rest of their lives.

This is the best time in history to be Chinese, and to be in Hong Kong and China. As far as I know, I am home. Home sweet home.

Beautiful Hong Kong.

Enjoying our retirement in Hong Kong and the Greater Bay Area. Can’t wait for the high-speed train to run again.
[02/04, 08:39] C B: Loved it so much I spent 10 mins tidying it up. Solly

HK has problems but those that left it for england literally left one of the richest, safest, freest place on earth to one of the most crime, virus, racist infested place with very high & rising joblessness.

And with that madman Boris and the fiasco UK induced themselves into Ukraine mess, UK will be poorer and poorer, and with more crime and hatred and racist.

:D:yahoo:

HOW WONDERFUL FOR THOSE WAVING BRITISH FLAGS IN HONGKONG AND BURNING AND RIOTING AWAY AT CALL OF NED AND 5EYES TO BE IN UK.

I SCHADENFREUDE AT THOSE EX HONGKONGERS IN UK
. I WISH THEM HAPPINESS IN THEIR MOANING AND GROANING NOW IN LAND OF DEMOCRACY AND WOKEFULNESS AND SNOWFLAKES AND WITH MORE RIGID CONTROL ON FREEDOM OF SPEECH THAN MYANMAR OR NORTH KOREA :rofl:

The per capita housing area in Hong Kong is small and the gap between the rich and the poor is large. The Hong Kong regional government also needs to solve the problem.

Where is the link to the article mentioned in the twit above?

It's being censored by Google search.
:omghaha:

Luckily I captured part of that before the great WHITEWASH. :enjoy:

Or folks here might think I speaking the kind of truth patented by Pompeo, Sleepy Joe, Boris, Zelensky .

Must let that great pretense that UK the fount of Democracy and Freedom of Speech and Paradise for all the cockroaches from Hong Kong who burned and ransack Hong Kong at bidding of NED and 5Eyese.

That those BNOists are there living happily in UK ever after.
Instead of being looked down as yellow bananas (yellow outside but thinking they snow white inside).

I am sure that they take out their UK flags and USA flags that they waved in Hong Kong to show that they pure white inside by waving that in UK :rofl:

From my WhatsApp feed.

[02/04, 08:39] C B: Personal story of a HK lady

"HONG KONG 2020 – LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT"

I was born and raised in Hong Kong under British Colonial rule. We were groomed to have manners, respect our parents and teachers. We had discipline. Did we complain? No. I think it was great training. I taught my kids the same way.

During the 60s and 70s, people in Hong Kong just focused on making money. Nobody paid attention to politics, it was not an option.Only very few top Hong Kong citizens got involved with law-making and execution. Top Government posts were dominated by British Gwei-los (鬼佬).

Did we complain? No. Did we ask for democracy and voting rights? No. It was simply unimaginable. Some people now ask for return to the old days. Do they really know what it was like? 747 landing at Kai Tak Airport in the 1970s. Very different HK then.

By the early 80s, people started talking about 1997. I remember in secondary school, our teachers said “ah, no worries, nobody really pay attention to the lease. Life goes on.” But people started paying attention, and the British and Chinese government started negotiations.

Then came June 4, 1989 (another long story), which recent events led many of us to believe that fake and manipulated news already started back then. Which then led to the emigration wave of the early 90s.

My parents emigrated to Canada, like the rest of their friends and relatives. By then I was already in the US, completed my undergraduate studies, started law school and was all ready to settle in the US for the rest of my life.

We were a bit worried about Hong Kong and its future. We thought Communist China was such a scary place, poor and backward, no freedom and democracy. Must be hell to live there. No way will I ever go visit, let alone live there. NEVER!!!

Beautiful San Francisco! I don’t miss it, but the years there shaped who I am today.

Then came 1997, Hong Kong did not sink under the ocean. People who stayed were still there. My sister’s family lived there, life went on.

Then came the 1998 financial crisis, who’s fault? Irrelevant here, didn’t affect me. Then came 911 in the US (2001), who’s fault? Let’s not go there.

It so happened my husband had been interviewing and received a job offer to go to Shanghai. We figured the US economy would be in a ditch for quite some time post 911. He accepted the offer on September 11 and moved to Shanghai December 2001.

By 2001, I was married, with a set of 5 years old twins, and a good stable job. But both my husband and I were not truly happy in the US. We were NEVER discriminated against, we had good jobs, we voted and all that. But we never felt we belong there and did not really assimilate into mainstream American life.

Fears of terrorism scared me. So when the opportunity to go China arose, I was quite open to consider it. The fear of Communist China had dissipated, and we were hearing good things about the changes already happening there. So kids and I followed in December 2003.

NEVER SAY NEVER!!!

Beautiful Shanghai! My experiences in China made me a wiser, more resourceful and tougher person.

Shanghai was A M A Z I N G. In the early 2000s, there was still a lot of construction. We settled in a nice apartment, kids in international schools (even with special ed support).

We were brave to invest in real estate (against all our friends’ warnings* *about risk and lack of RMB liquidity blah blah blah). We travelled everywhere in China, and Asia, and went back to Hong Kong regularly.

Not for one second did we feel we had less freedom than when we were in the US. Yeah yeah, FB, Google and Whatsapp were blocked, we just used VPN. We even tested the legal system, won a lawsuit, and got compensated fairly.

Resourceful people can be anywhere. Exploit the good and avoid the bad. Survival of the fittest. Which brings me to my next point. There is no utopia on earth, and there is no perfect country or government that can ensure anyone’s wellbeing or happiness.

America has been practicing “democracy” for 200 years, and look who they elected for President? Trump, arguably the worst head of state in history. And see what a mess it was just this past election. And we still want to follow them?

Please, really NEVER NEVER NEVER.

Democracy or 民主 in Chinese, really means rule by popular vote? What if it’s 51-49? And you are part of the 49? You would still be pissed right? And your problems still unsolved, still no job, no car, no house, then what?

So “共产党 the Chinese Communist Party” sounds spine-chilling and blood-curdling, right? Images of the Cultural Revolution and June 4 immediately comes to mind. But even if those were huge mistakes (arguable now with June 4), those events happened 60 and 30 years ago.

How come no one talks about the Japanese Nanjing Massacre or Hitler Concentration camps anymore. Such selective memory. Or is it because the media only choose to remind us of all the bad things China has done or may have done.

I choose to forget and forgive. I choose to believe only what I see and experience myself. I lived in the US for 20 years, then Shanghai 15 years, and now we have been back in Hong Kong since 2016. I think I am qualified to compare because mine are real life first hand experiences.

In the US, I saw inefficiencies, chaos and frustration created by a so-called democratic system. How many airports or infrastructure projects have the US completed in the past 30 years?

I also saw the lack of respect for authority, discipline or hierarchy justified by so-called rights of privacy, freedom and democracy.

When in China, I witnessed the sincerity and immense country-wide efforts of the entire Chinese nation during the 2008 Olympics and 2010 Expo, how they welcomed the whole world to China, showed the world how much they progressed and how ready and willing China was to become a responsible player in the new world order.

I also observed how an entire new generation of Mainland Chinese people, in all echelons of life, demonstrated such burning desire to excel, and as a result drastically improved their standard of living.

Now I am back in Hong Kong, my hometown, I see a society torn apart by political views. People are either blue (pro-China) or yellow (anti-China).

Government efforts to encourage young people to find jobs in the Greater Bay Area (11 cities including Hong Kong and Macau in Southern China) or seniors to retire there, get bashed by reporters as efforts to “sell” Hong Kong or to deplete precious human resources from Hong Kong.

I am still so shocked when I hear these accusations. Why are Hong Kong people so biased? Maybe we left Hong Kong too many years, we don’t understand how they feel?

We were willing to move to Shanghai from the US in 2001 because we saw an opportunity, and we survived, very well.

It’s a “no-brainer” that China will do so much better than the rest of the world, post-COVID, and our young Hong Kong “talents” don’t see that. I am appalled.

There is no utopia, yet any place can be utopia.

Just take this COVID crisis and compare how the US and China handled the battle.

Yes, arguably there’s no “privacy” in China, but compulsory real-name authenticated phone numbers, facial recognition, CCTVs everywhere, quick complete lock down of communities and whole cities, compulsory testing and quarantine, enabled China to completely eradicate the virus in several months, with very few cases now, mainly imported.

Of course, there were some initial sacrifices, but the individual freedom and rights gave way to the greater good.

In the words of China’s foreign affairs spokeswoman, “Chinese people have never in recent history displayed a higher sense of happiness, pride, safety and security” and politely asked the CNN reporter to stop asking biased questions with no factual basis.

I cannot agree more.

China just wants to be left alone. But God forbid China is now ahead in some areas like 5G technology. There will be no end to accusations of China disturbing the world order and having aggressive intentions.

以小人之心度君子之腹 and 贼喊着贼 are two Chinese sayings that accurately describe what the US likes to do. (Google translate if you don’t read Chinese, but you may not get the exact connotation. Learn Chinese or watch Mainland Chinese soap operas. 5000 years of wisdom there).

As a Hong Kong (SAR) Chinese citizen, I hold a passport that allows me visa-free entry into most countries in the world. I pay the lowest income taxes compared to most countries in the world, and zero capital gains tax. I hold a Mainland Travel Permit that allows me to live and work in China with no restriction, and increasing benefits provided by the Greater Bay Area Plan.

We are the envy of all 1.4 billion people inside China who have to pay more taxes and receive less privileges and freedom to travel. And we all just take it for granted.

During this COVID crisis, the Hong Kong government pays for all medical costs associated with forced quarantine and confirmed cases admitted to hospitals. Even mild cases are admitted to hospitals and not just asked to stay home and get better like in most countries.

Hong Kong is and will always be an inseparable part of China. Hong Kong has its own identity, it will always be special, like Shanghai and Beijing are special too.

Because of our history, we are fortunate to have choices. There is absolutely nothing wrong with emigrating to US, Canada or UK. My generation has been there and done that.

We have many friends and family happily settled in the US/Canada/UK, albeit they are frustrated because Trump made their lives miserable too.

But those who choose to leave Hong Kong now because media and hallucinations lead them to believe that Hong Kong will decline and there will be no more freedom and rights blah blah blah, then I guarantee you, they will miss the best ride ever and regret it for the rest of their lives.

This is the best time in history to be Chinese, and to be in Hong Kong and China. As far as I know, I am home. Home sweet home.

Beautiful Hong Kong.

Enjoying our retirement in Hong Kong and the Greater Bay Area. Can’t wait for the high-speed train to run again.
[02/04, 08:39] C B: Loved it so much I spent 10 mins tidying it up. Solly
Based on what I have seen and read about Hong Kong it seems like an amazing place to live. I would love to move there after completing my education.

HK has problems but those that left it for england literally left one of the richest, safest, freest place on earth to one of the most crime, virus, racist infested place with very high & rising joblessness.
I guess they can experience their freedom working long hours in a Chinese takeout while their kids are beaten up by the many juveniles and thugs that roam British streets.

Based on what I have seen and read about Hong Kong it seems like an amazing place to live. I would love to move there after completing my education.
HK is only a great place to live if you are upper middle class to rich. Because of the way the British set up the place, as a hyper capitalist oligarchy, the poor have little social safety nets and live miserable lives and the cost of living is through the roof. Many mainland Chinese cities now have a much better quality of life and better infrastructure than Hong Kong nowadays which is a big source of resentment from HKers towards the Mainland.

I guess they can experience their freedom working long hours in a Chinese takeout while their kids are beaten up by the many juveniles and thugs that roam British streets.

HK is only a great place to live if you are upper middle class to rich. Because of the way the British set up the place, as a hyper capitalist oligarchy, the poor have little social safety nets and live miserable lives and the cost of living is through the roof. Many mainland Chinese cities now have a much better quality of life and better infrastructure than Hong Kong nowadays which is a big source of resentment from HKers towards the Mainland.
Hong Kong is on the list of countries where I would like to do my Master's from; additionally, Hong Kong having close proximity to Shenzhen(my favourite city in the world) makes it very attractive to me as Shenzhen is the tech capital of Asia and my field of study is computer science. The only reason why mainland China is not on my list is because I don't know Mandarin and I lack the time needed to learn it. Can one thrive in a place like Shenzhen without knowing Mandarin?

Hong Kong is on the list of countries where I would like to do my Master's from; additionally, Hong Kong having close proximity to Shenzhen(my favourite city in the world) makes it very attractive to me as Shenzhen is the tech capital of Asia and my field of study is computer science. The only reason why mainland China is not on my list is because I don't know Mandarin and I lack the time needed to learn it. Can one thrive in a place like Shenzhen without knowing Mandarin?
You will have a lot of fun in HK or Shenzhen either way so definitely go for it. You definitely should learn mandarin to live in Shenzhen but without it, you can probably get by.

You will have a lot of fun in HK or Shenzhen either way so definitely go for it. You definitely should learn mandarin to live in Shenzhen but without it, you can probably get by.
Can you kindly shed some light on the healthcare and education for foreingers in mainland China?

Ha ha ha! Why only the kids?
After working long long hours, they will also be beaten up by the racists thugs and animals that roam about in the British streets.

I doubt very much that those thugs be satisfied with beating up those BNOist kids. Maybe as warm up until their father mother come alone
SCHADENFREUDE
:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom