What's new

A rare photo of His Imperial Majesty the Emperor Showa, in Imperial Naval Uniform, circa 1935

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
We miss you, Majesty. :)

May your Imperial Memory be remembered and honored.

150304090131-06-musashi-super-169.jpg

You are not shy of Japan's Imperial legacy it seems, you would have been an asset a few years ago when I was writing a thesis on the Imperial Japanese Military and I found that a lot of Japanese people were uncomfortable talking about the war-era.
My interaction with the Japanese however convinced me of their greatness as a nation, their superior work ethic, sense of discipline and moral uprightness is unparalleled.

You are not shy of Japan's Imperial legacy it seems, you would have been an asset a few years ago when I was writing a thesis on the Imperial Japanese Military and I found that a lot of Japanese people were uncomfortable talking about the war-era.
My interaction with the Japanese however convinced me of their greatness as a nation, their superior work ethic, sense of discipline and moral uprightness is unparalleled.

No, I am not. My grandfather was an officer in the IJN, and I have grand uncles who died fighting (and sinking) American destroyers in the Battle of Lingayen Gulf. So it is a sense of pride for my family. My grandfather in my mother's side fought in Malaya Campaign and also fought in Java , present day Indonesia --- he was a Colonel in the Imperial Army's 2nd Division. He was a veteran of the Battle of Java, in present day Indonesia.

In the front row, in the center. :)

Please tell me, is it considered bad etiquette to refer to the Emperor with his royal name "Hirohito" after his passing? I understand that Japanese Emperors are referred to by a different name post-mortem, in this case, Emperor Showa.

The Emperor was not a war criminal, he was not involved in the war as he was the symbol of the Japanese State. Any case, the Emperor was the very reason why the Imperial Military High Command even acceded to the terms of surrender. So , the Americans had the war's end only by Majesty's progressive wish and humanitarianism.

No, I am not. My grandfather was an officer in the IJN, and I have grand uncles who died fighting (and sinking) American destroyers in the Battle of Lingayen Gulf. So it is a sense of pride for my family. My grandfather in my mother's side fought in Malaya Campaign and also fought in Java , present day Indonesia --- he was a Colonel in the Imperial Army's 2nd Division. He was a veteran of the Battle of Java, in present day Indonesia.

Interesting, I have a lot of questions but my experience with Japanese friends has taught me that many questions about person and family are not appreciated in Japanese culture. I have a broken understanding of the language, words, basic sentences and honorifics (very important) but I really want to learn the whole language some day and then experience the culture to my fullest.

Compared to his Majesty's army, Nazi Germany army behaved like gentlemen. Nazi Germany basically only targeted Jews and at least killed them as human beings. His Majesty's army targeted eveyone and killed people as killing animals.

Please tell me, is it considered bad etiquette to refer to the Emperor with his royal name "Hirohito" after his passing? I understand that Japanese Emperors are referred to by a different name post-mortem, in this case, Emperor Showa.

Not bad etiquette if one is a foreign intellectual who really is interested in the history. Ideally , however, the name of the Emperor signifies the era of Japan. So for example when His Majesty was alive till his death in 1989, the Era was the Era of Showa , which is his post-mortem name. The Era name then replaces the birth name of the Emperor (e.g, Hirohito --> Showa).

Currently, the Era is Heisei, which will replace the name of the living Emperor Akihito after His Majesty passes from this realm to the Heavenly realm. Then He shall be referred as Emperor Heisei, no longer Emperor Akihito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom