What's new

A Question from an American

Rabbit

New Recruit

Reaction score
What is the general opinion of the run-up to the current election for the President of the USA? Is it even an issue?

It may be arrogant to ask, but with the current WoT (and all the politics that are involved) and with both parties going in different directions in regards to Pakistan I was curious.

Historically for us, Republicans (John McCain) have been viewed as the warmongers and the Democrats (Barack Obama) have been viewed as the moderates. But with Barack saying:
"He clarified that rather than a surge in the number of troops in Iraq, there needs to be a "diplomatic surge" and that if there were "actionable intelligence reports" showing al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden in Pakistan, the U.S. troops as a last resort should enter and try to capture terrorists. That would happen, he added, only if "the Pakistani government was unable or unwilling" to go after the terrorists. (Which was a recovery from an earlier statement saying he was open to the option of sending US troops into Pakistan)

And McCain saying:
"It's not a time to threaten Pakistan or rattle our sabers. To publicly advocate sending U.S. troops to a sovereign country without having a debate or a discussion with the Pakistanis and others shows a lack of knowledge of the area."

Whats your opinion? Is this something that's been covered already? If so, can someone link me to the thread?

I think we have discussed US presidential politics on and off, not necessarily with any particular emphasis on what the candidates are saying. I think most of us realize that there might be a disconnect between what they say as candidates and what their actual policies might be after entering the White House and being privy to information they do not have currently.

That said, I think Pakistanis tend to view Republican administrations more favorably.

My personal opinion - whichever President decides to shift away from a military only alliance with Pakistan and move towards a far broader relationship encompassing military and economic partnerships.

At this point I see Obama as possibly being the better candidate, in terms of changing the status quo. Some of his comments about how he wants to change the US-Pakistan paradigm fall in the category of what I mentioned - moving away from military aid and towards a more broad based partnership that is directed at the people of Pakistan more.

Such a policy of engagement with all manner of government and civil institutions - political, legal, law enforcement, commerce etc. is in my opinion really the only way to start mending the enormous hostility that seems to have built up towards the US in Pakistan.

Dear Rabbit, I believe in US President doesn’t matter much and public not at all.
US has been at wars with foreign nations in past. Changing US president is just matter of changing the face.

US blamed Cambodians for helping Vietnamese and then bombed them like hell but did any American parliament bothered to offer compensation for the millions dead or can any compensation make alive any dead?
US blamed Iran for supporting Al-Qaeeda insurgency in Iraq another non-sense.
US see Taliban as the biggest threat to US security! Another BS.
Now our soldiers are being slained by terrorists and our security offices, and their childrens are being targeted by terrists and US is now joing hands withthem?

It is really murky to see who is helping who!

Immediately after 9/11 US blamed Binladen but what you don’t know is that on 8/11 any one could hire a taxi from Kabul to Tora bora and very much could acquire autograph from Mr. Laden.
Now you are struggling for actionable intelligence? How naïve American citizens are!
Off course you didn’t meant to say that all those daily basis hellfires on various houses and schools in Pakistan were launched without actionable intelligence but then why the hell Mr. Laden is still at large and if you failed so many times than you may very much fail next time as well.

Assume I authorize you once for all 'one' military action on Pakistan soil than you better find Mr. laden in your only chance. Can you guarantee?

US had trusted Pakistan for fighting with USSR and no mistrust happened, whereas today you cannot trust PakArmy for a tiny Mr. Laden?

All I have to say is US is not only responsible for all troubles around the world, infect is leading this world to destruction ever faster and all because of his misinformation.

You did the right thing to ask direct. I’m sure many more will be delighted to answer your questions.

And please, do not hesitate to ask any more questions, you may have.

Courtesy:Non-US citizen.

Republicans over all have a better understanding about pakistan and the problems that we face. Also the democratics seem to be more indian centric. We have seen it during the era of clinton administration.I remember Bush administration was highly criticized by the democratics for his policies with respect to pakistan and his backing of president Musharraf. But having said so for now John McCain seems to be the ideal candidate from a pakistani point of view.

Batman:
I didn't mean to suggest that by changing our President that miracles will happen and our nation will become drastically different, nor am I suggesting it should. But I do believe that there will be change.

In regards to Bin Laden, I don't doubt that he was easy to find prior to September 11th, 2001. By all accounts he was a strong supporter (and vice versa) of the Taliban because he favored their perspective on religion in life and society. And you're right, I doubt that with 1 action they could find him, because I don't believe they know where he is. However, provided with the fact that his greatest supporters right are in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan it's not too far-fetched to say he's in those areas. Saying it isn't meant to be offensive, they're just the 4 most likely countries.

In reality... the Taliban and Al-Qaeda are one of the greatest threats to us. Despite long-term conflicts with Russia and China, we've always managed to avoid outright war with them. Al-Qaeda represented a threat that we didn't account for... a dramatic shock to our society that we were no longer "king of the world" (and in fact hadn't been for awhile at that point). Which is something that coupled with the rapid rise of China (both politically and economically) and our shrinking political influence in areas of the world was due. So in the end, while China and Russia are two nations that have arguably as much (or at this point, more) power and influence (militarily, diplomatically, economically) they're opponents that we've always contended with... Al-Qaeda is a loose cannon. You've seen it yourself... Pakistan isn't immune to their brand of extremism.

But I do take offense to you branding us "responsible for all the troubles in the world". I understand that you hate us and I believe that I understand why... but trying to blame us for everything is just turning us into a scape-goat for your own troubles. There's been a huge negative reaction here to our blaming Pakistan for not doing enough to stop terrorism while we don't end the Afghani drug-trade (and probably 80% of the funding for Al-Qaeda). If you don't let us use you as a scape-goat for our problems, you can't use us as a scape-goat for all of yours. ;)

Also the democratics seem to be more indian centric. We have seen it during the era of clinton administration.
The Bush administration proposed the "nuclear deal" which to my knowledge is the most India centric state sponsored US offer to date.

I concur with AM. The candidate/President looking for a more broad based relationship with Pakistan is the preferred candidate for Pakistan although GoP think that Democrats are harder to deal with. This has more to do with the failure of the GoP to canvass support from the democratic side. Pakistani Government should be reaching out to the democrats a bit more. Obama's background and friendships with Pakistanis and visit to Pakistan in a private capacity are a plus in my mind. Having seen Pakistan up close instead of hearing about it in the western press would definitely provide a better insight to the democratic candidate.

The change in US President dictates a change in foreign policy, I dont feel this should be taken lightly, regards to what the Republican John McCain is the worst President in sight of Pakistan, he has too many shifts and deviates from his statements to suit his interest, Barack Obama is more stiff to what he believes and should be the next choice but he is Black with respect, one cant forget the New Orleans disaster.

Rabbit, as an American, how do you view Pakistan, and India?

Back
Top Bottom