What's new

A Politburo without a female member is a disappointment

You know matriarchal society is the oldest form of hierarchy in human history. Governance should be based on ability, not sex or any other criteria.
Matriarchy may or may not be the oldest form or hierarchy. However, it is certainly not the most common. Unfortunately, governance for the most part in human history is based on force, coercion, corruption, and nepotism rather than ability. I don't know of any govt. that exists based solely on ability.

Matriarchy may or may not be the oldest form or hierarchy. However, it is certainly not the most common. Unfortunately, governance for the most part in human history is based on force, coercion, corruption, and nepotism rather than ability. I don't know of any govt. that exists based solely on ability.

It was the most common until society move beyond that. Of course, there are still surviving matriarchal societies that exist in remote areas, hardly a sign of advancement in society.

Next, are black members of the Political Bureau and LGBT members required?

The CCP is not interested in playing with Western political correctness. If you want to join the Politburo, gender is not a problem. Just like Wu Yi and Sun Chunlan, you should make achievements.

While I myself don't care much for political correctness and showpiece appointments, the composition of the polity is a reflection of society at large. Which is a bit surprising in the case of China because outwardly it appears to be a very liberal society, where women are well educated and safe. Is limited representation in the higher levels of government because Chinese women prefer not to join politics, or is there a systemic bias?

While I myself don't care much for political correctness and showpiece appointments, the composition of the polity is a reflection of society at large. Which is a bit surprising in the case of China because outwardly it appears to be a very liberal society, where women are well educated and safe. Is limited representation in the higher levels of government because Chinese women prefer not to join politics, or is there a systemic bias?

Chinese women are too militant is certain cities especially Shanghai. The husbands are being bullied, make to knee down and wash toilets.

Unlike other countries, there are standards and rules for the promotion of Chinese officials. Performance ranking, age, work experience and so on are all indicators to decide whether to promote, but gender is not one of the indicators.

The number of male and female officials before the city level is similar. However, it is difficult for female officials to defeat male officials in the performance competition of city level officials. This has led to the dominance of men among provincial and ministerial officials.

There are few women at the political bureau level. I think this may be due to physiological reasons.

Usually, only city level officials under the age of 50 can be promoted to provincial and ministerial level officials through performance competition. I am not an expert in sociology or physiology. I can't answer why Chinese women are more likely to lose to Chinese men when they are 40 to 50 years old.

Last edited:
If there is a woman who is qualified enough, capable enough and has achieved enough, there is no doubt that she would have been appointed.

Due to the fact that no such member has been appointed, it is safe to say that there is no woman qualified or capable enough for the role.

Usually, only city level officials under the age of 50 can be promoted to provincial and ministerial level officials through performance competition. I am not an expert in sociology or physiology. I can't answer why Chinese women are more likely to lose to Chinese men when they are 40 to 50 years old.

Women withdraw from working life earlier than men do. So if age is a factor in selection, I can understand the lower representation.

In the whole world, if adjust using pregnancy and child caring time, women will never be competitive over men in career. It is atrocious discrimination against man that calls put equalized women and man in leadership.

Meh, eastern cultures work very different.

Forget gender equity, they are ingrained with being servile to higher authority.

Try visiting a factory in China, or do business that requires government approval(almost all do), higher ups are always right and dissent is not tolerated.

Female do not reason as well as man. They are too emotional.
Lol, he is right because he knows no better.
Different worlds..

In the whole world, if adjust using pregnancy and child caring time, women will never be competitive over men in career. It is atrocious discrimination against man that calls put equalized women and man in leadership.

From my observation to European female leaders, they are more cockey, irrational and pro-extremism.

Forget gender equity, they are ingrained with being servile to higher authority.

Try visiting a factory in China, or do business that requires government approval(almost all do), higher ups are always right and dissent is not tolerated.

Different worlds..
Just proves how they think...

Chinese women are too militant is certain cities especially Shanghai. The husbands are being bullied, make to knee down and wash toilets.
I just can't 😂.
This how women empowerment is defined..

Guys tends to generalized, rationalized and make decision, something the global elites hate. Generalized is now being scandalized as a bad thing,

Girls make decision in a crazy way. They rely on feelings and get emo with some small personal cases. That is why women are disastrous for nations.

We need to focus on big data, big statistics, and not personal tragedy or fortune.

For all these weak points of women, they are of great use to the oligarch who control behind the scene.

Politburo is hardly a collective ruling body, everyone knows only 1 in the 7 is calling all the shots while the other 6 are just decorations, Xi could happily put 1 or 2 females in the gang but what purpose does it serve? gender inequality is not an issue in most modern societies to the point that such a result barely offers a sense of achievement any more other than its face value

let's say if the first ever female POTUS is elected in 2024 will the Americans celebrate it like they did Obama winning 2008? Highly doubt it...

Women withdraw from working life earlier than men do. So if age is a factor in selection, I can understand the lower representation.
Age is important for the promotion of Chinese officials.

Because Chinese law stipulates that the retirement age for men is 60 years old and that for women is 55 years old. Only members of the Political Bureau can extend the retirement age to 68. The retirement age of members of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau shall not exceed 72.

The Chinese government will certainly not promote an official who is about to retire.

Different worlds..

Just proves how they think...

I just can't 😂.
This how women empowerment is defined..
It is obvious that you have neither been to China nor understood China.

You are just a slum boy who understands China through WION.

• China can benefit from a more diverse voice especially at a time of geopolitical tensions when projecting the right image is a challenge. Hopefully, the lack of female representation is a temporary exception
Chinese President Xi Jinping with members of the new Politburo Standing Committee a day after the conclusion of the Chinese Communist Party’s 20th National Congress. Photo: Kyodo

Chinese President Xi Jinping with members of the new Politburo Standing Committee a day after the conclusion of the Chinese Communist Party’s 20th National Congress. Photo: Kyodo

No woman is to be found in the new Politburo. Because this is a break with the informal practice for the past 20 years of having at least one woman on the Politburo and serving as a vice-premier, it is worth reflecting on the experience. Three have served during that time.

The first, Wu Yi, led the fight against Sars (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and played a leading negotiating role in China’s accession to the World Trade Organization. The second, Liu Yandong, is more associated with culture and social development.
The latest, Sun Chunlan, has been a high-profile field commander in the Covid campaign. Their track records vindicated the reservation of a place representing half the people, notwithstanding other criteria such as one measure or another of merit.

State news agency Xinhua says top leaders this time were selected through interviews and screening by inspection teams sent by President Xi Jinping. Loyalty to Xi topped criteria, followed by ability to bypass Western sanctions with hi-tech breakthroughs. Past experience at local and ministerial level is a key factor.

Political correctness did not weigh heavily, if at all. Nonetheless the new all-male line-up is widely seen as a step backwards. Moreover, only 11 women are to be found on the 205-member Central Committee, of whom nearly all hold university degrees. That distinction need not rule out women.

They are, after all, found in increasing numbers in various fields of science and technology, and now outnumber men in higher education institutions. Gone are the days when lack of education need disadvantage women with political aspirations, along with a consequential lack of experience.

In respect of experience, Shen Yiqin, 62, the highest-ranking female cadre, may be a case in point. The Guizhou party secretary was front-runner to succeed Sun Chunlan. But since she was only appointed in 2020, her experience at that level is not yet comparable with that of Wu, Liu and Sun. A transfer to another province would enhance her credentials and might signal she was being groomed.
That said, it remains disappointing not to see a female Politburo member and vice-premier for the first time since 2002. China can benefit from a more diverse voice. A tiny handful of women have established a formidable track record in testing roles. Hopefully, the latest setback is a temporary exception. There has long since been any justification for denying women more opportunity to contribute at the highest level.
Amid geopolitical tensions one of China’s biggest challenges is to project the right image, exemplified by the projection of power tempered by the cultivation of soft power. Wu Yi set a good example in the WTO negotiations, tempering a tough position with charm, a style seen as a factor in the success of the talks.
There is a chinese saying: women are like flowers. Should mean they are decorating pieces.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom