PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A K-8 crashes in Venezuela, 2 on board eject and survive

Military plane crashes in Venezuela, 2 on board eject and survive

By The Associated Press (CP)

CARACAS, Venezuela — A Chinese-made K-8 military plane crashed in Venezuela during a training flight Wednesday, but officials said both people on board ejected and survived.

One fractured his hip and will undergo surgery, air force commander Maj. Gen. Jorge Arevalo Oropeza said. A flight instructor also on board was not hurt.

The plane crashed Wednesday morning on the outskirts of Barquisimeto in western Lara state, local emergency management director Hector Vargas told TV channel Globovision.

Arevalo blamed engine failure and said a panel will investigate the exact cause of the crash, together with a team of Chinese investigators.

Venezuela received an initial shipment of six K-8s earlier this year, and President Hugo Chavez said last month that he has signed off on spending $82 million to buy 18 more of the trainer and light attack jets.

Copyright © 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

thanks god they are safe. so how many k-8 crashed till now

Engine Issue....In a Brand New Aircraft?
Its Serious.

Im sure Chinese will find a solution to this.
But things will get clear only after investigation.

Powered by the WS-11 Chinese engine rather than the Garretts that PAF has.

Hmm..

Powered by the WS-11 Chinese engine rather than the Garretts that PAF has.

Hmm..

Nope, all JL-8 and JL-8W that were delivered to Venezuela are powered by Ivchenko AI-25 TLK turbofan engines. WS-11 are only for PLAAF's K-8 under the designation of L-11.

Probbly pilot error pressed the eject button instead of the music on FM switch

Nope, all JL-8 and JL-8W that were delivered to Venezuela are powered by Ivchenko AI-25 TLK turbofan engines. WS-11 are only for PLAAF's K-8 under the designation of L-11.

I thought the the Chinese-manufactured version of AI-25TLK was the WS-11. If not, what are the differences?

I thought the the Chinese-manufactured version of AI-25TLK was the WS-11. If not, what are the differences?

I think he just answered your question by explaining that the K-8s, which crashed used AI-25TLKs made in Russia.

I think he just answered your question by explaining that the K-8s, which crashed used AI-25TLKs made in Russia.

No it is not, it is a Ukrainian engine, and from what i have been reading the WS-11 is a licenced copy of this engine.

No it is not, it is a Ukrainian engine, and from what i have been reading the WS-11 is a licenced copy of this engine.

Yes, WS-11 is a licensed copy of AI-25TLK, but the planes with WS-11 are all under different designation as L-11 instead of (JL-8), and those planes are never exported to anyone.

But, you are right, they are essentially the same engine. I don't think this crash was caused by engine alone those, of course engine failure is the easiest to blame on after any crash. We have to wait for further investigation.

A panel is investigation the exact cause.......

It could be anything.....bad maintainece, Engine, Pilot error.

Just passing the buck eh ? why use engines that r not worthy in first place ? unless the case is investigated properly pls do not come into conclusions!!!

Back
Top Bottom