What's new

A journey into the wild north of Pakistan

I have added this to my 'Watch Later' list.
Believe me, had I not already planned to go to Pakistan end of this year with wife, I would go to northern Pakistan within next few days! One day I may share my pics from trips to a few areas of northern Pakistan from 1990 and 1991.

Instead, I am now going to Canada (Vancouver) in an open-ended trip in a week. I am on 'Sabbatical' from my job until early 2020 and so should use the time and the $$. From Vancouver, who knows where? Maybe train to Toronto and then head back to America.
I am blessed to have been given the energy, the time, and some $$ to do such crazy stuff!

I have added this to my 'Watch Later' list.
Believe me, had I not already planned to go to Pakistan end of this year with wife, I would go to northern Pakistan within next few days! One day I may share my pics from trips to a few areas of northern Pakistan from 1990 and 1991.

Instead, I am now going to Canada (Vancouver) in an open-ended trip in a week. I am on 'Sabbatical' from my job until early 2020 and so should use the time and the $$. From Vancouver, who knows where? Maybe train to Toronto and then head back to America.
I am blessed to have been given the energy, the time, and some $$ to do such crazy stuff!
Be great to see some of your pics from way back then, see which ones you're comfortable sharing on here and do do it !

BC is fekin' gorgeous in the summer, be getting a little dreary about now but still nice for a bit. If you have the time and the monies, why not head south ? Viva Mehiko !

I saw his video many years ago when he visited Pakistan then he didn't have any facial hair and he has returned again. German's and their love for the mountains, I saw quite a few Germans in Pakistan in the mountains.

I would go to northern Pakistan within next few days! One day I may share my pics from trips to a few areas of northern Pakistan from 1990 and 1991.
make haste in sharing please!

Be great to see some of your pics from way back then, see which ones you're comfortable sharing on here and do do it !
BC is fekin' gorgeous in the summer, be getting a little dreary about now but still nice for a bit. If you have the time and the monies, why not head south ? Viva Mehiko !

There is time and some money. But playing it safe; can't risk going to 'Mehiko' so close to the Pakistan trip. I know most of Mehiko is safe but there are still so many places in USA/CanadaI could see safely instead. One of my bucket-list item is to go to a certain really wild, dangerous place in Peru and then bus to Patagonia from there, but will wait for some other time. Traveling in anywhere south of the US border is a special thing unless one sticks with very safe, touristy areas. BTW, just came home from the theater/cinema: Wife and I saw 'Rambo: The Last Blood'. Doesn't soothe nerves for south of the border ;) I know most of that is stereotypes but will stick with US/Canada until for some other time.

make haste in sharing please!

Will do. Will need to scan them first. There are dozens of them. One memorable trip was a trek to Laik Saiful Mulook from Naran in April 1990 or 1991. I think it was 8 KM trek. It was off-season: Snow, snow, and snow along the way. My Karachi University team didn't want to go to the Lake because of no vehicle transport. I broke away from the team and decided to go to Naran and go solo. Pretty daring for a Karachi boy who was never solo before and always pampered. Haha! The trek was very difficult. But half way I joined some university students from, I think, a university in Faisalabad. They accepted me in their fold and guided me. At one point I slipped on steep ice and could have been dangerous but they pulled me up. I am still grateful to them. We reached the Lake. It was mostly frozen. Prayers were offered on the shore. Then one guy said before or after the prayer loudly said: "Let's thank Allah especially that finally there is a Prime Minister elected in Pakistan from Punjab!" He was referring to Nawaz Sharif!
Unfortunately, no pics of that trek to Lake Saiful Muluk: When I came back to Karachi and had the film 'developed', the shop said they were all blank/black: The camera had a tiny hole in it. I cried and cried for days. I had/have no way to get hold of those Faisalabad University students to get the pics from their cameras. I still feel very sad about the loss of the pics.

But there ARE other pics that I can scan and share.

Ahh, memories!!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom