What's new

A Deal's Collapse Clouds Pakistan's China Alliance

Surely I don't need to give a breakdown of all the Chinese firms involved in mega projects across Pakistan. !! ;)

I didnt ask you to do it either.;);)

I was replying to that particular incident of TATA's bid withdrawal.

Doesn't exactly equate to the Chinese government's official decision...... similarly, TATA has pulled out of some mining project in Afghanistan....does that imply to Indian Government's own stance towards that country. ??!!

It would be reasonable for Afghanistan to assume(correctly) that India is in no position to supplant the U.S. as Afghanistan's primary benefactor.

Zubair Motiwala quoted in the WSJ story today is denying on GeoTV that Kingho has made a final decision to pull out of part of Thar coal project worth about $3 billion, not the $19 billion reported by WSJ. Motiwala says negotiations are still underway with Kingho to deal with some the issues of tariffs, security and other guarantees raised in discussions with them.

He also pointed that an MOU for a much bigger deal has just been signed with Global Mining Corporation, another Chinese co, worth closer to $20 billion for a number of projects related to Thar coal, including a power plant that will generate uo to 10,000 MW of electricity when completed.

Haq's Musings: Abundant, Cheap Coal Electricity For Pakistan

Collapsing or deferring of a business deal cannot be expected to dent a time-tested relation. China has got a near permanent interest in Pakistan & hence the relation is here to stay, I know that haunts many in East.

Having said that, we certainly should not expect any free goodiea from any where.

biz deals are biz deals sometimes this happens but I dont think it effects the core relationship. But Pak govt must ensure security for all including our chinese freinds

Whether Chinese did pull out or not is beside the point. Law and order is a must for economic progress and any government that is incapable of safeguarding life of property of her citizens has no right to rule.

However there is a large section of the society for who progress in this world is meaningless. All they want is to set up a dark age Khilafat run by illiterate Amirul Momineen in the likes of Mulla Omer.

As long as this way of thinking remains prevalent in the minds of a section of the society; TTP will continue to find support in the Media, Armed Services, Police and civil society; resulting in investment shying away from Pakistan. This includes not only FDI but also investment from Pakistani entrepreneurs. Understand Sharif brothers alone have more than $3-billion abroad. Double that for the Zardaris. Pray tell me why don’t these rulers of Pakistan bring their wealth home?

Taliban and their supporters will continue to stir up trouble in Kasghar and Sinkiang with the aim to drive away the only friend Pakistan has left. TTP need to create poor economic conditions in Pakistan as that is the way to their victory.

Bottom line here is no one is interested in investing in your country(be it your closest ally) as long you remain the "terror central" of the world.

Collapsing or deferring of a business deal cannot be expected to dent a time-tested relation. China has got a near permanent interest in Pakistan & hence the relation is here to stay, I know that haunts many in East.

Having said that, we certainly should not expect any free goodiea from any where.

u r right...

another important thing is that just cuz a private, profit motivated company doesnt invest in pakistan, it doesnt mean the relationship is damaged, lol.

the pak/china relationship is based entirely on military partnership and is between the 2 governments and not between private companies..

private companies invest where there is profit, not necassarily where there are friends..

Excellent thread - too bad Pakistani forum members have been unable to understand the connection between islamist terror, the lack of investment and the unwillingness of the govt to counter these groups and the ideology behind such groups

i have also read that many pakistani buisness houses are shifting thier businessess to Bangladesh due to security reason

i have also read that many pakistani buisness houses are shifting thier businessess to Bangladesh due to security reason

Really? I never knew they were that pally to actually shift businesses. :what:

the coal in sindh is worth trillions its value is equal to the combined value of oil reserves of iran and saudi arabia.the news cant be true in the first place because chinese are known for taking projects like Karakorum highway in which thosands of pakistani and chinese workers lost their lives and the dangerous war raveged african countries
china produces 60% of its electicity from coal which comes mostly from africa thousands of miles away which is expensive in transportation costs so this is the perfect alternative for african coal for china.
i can really see the specifics of people on the forum taking everthing towards extremism and fundamentalism.the fact of the matter is india got millions of hindu extremists with a known back ground of carrying out muslim sikhs and christian massacres in the past 3 decades and still going on but its not hampering their progress as its state sponsored and if that is true about pakistan then i wont be amused at all because all the countries follow the same set of rules and if pakistan does that then its not a big deal

false news...its not happening..maybe 1 or 2 small/medium firms from karachi moved to bangladesh cuz their family/background was there and karachi was too unstable...

but otherwise, over the past 3years, most businesses have tried moving to the west or simply shutting down and waiting for things to get better...not much businesses have shifted to east, mostly shifted to the west

lmfaooo, y on earth would someone leave their own country for security reasons? and u sound like theres a world war 3 happening in pakistan, They might leave cz of their relations in Bangladesh

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom