What's new

A Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Project for Islamabad

Rs 30bn Metro Bus project to launch in twin cities

Islamabad - Capital Development Authority (CDA) Traffic Engineering Director announced on Wednesday that the much awaited Rawalpindi-Islamabad Metro Bus project would be launched in November.

The federal government has allocated Rs 30 billion for the project, he added.

The official said that the Asian Development Bank's Cities Development Initiative Asia (CDIA) Department has already completed the project’s pre-feasibility study.

He informed that the final feasibility report would be completed by next month and tenders would soon be floated in the international media to invite bidding for establishing the transport system.

A senior CDA official choosing to remain anonymous said that the mass transit system issue was taken up by the CDA board in a meeting on Monday. He said that the CDA through its own resources could not manage a practical transport service, so it decided to link the project with Rawalpindi to avail the Punjab government’s assistance.

He added that the CDA was encouraged to reach this decision due to the success of Lahore’s bus service.

The CDA would also engage the Punjab government for a fleet of 50 buses.

The official also said that a recommendations report on the transport project’s finances and administration has been submitted for approval before the CDA board.

Meanwhile, he said, the CDA’s Planning Wing has marked out bus stop locations in the capital city for the project.

Further, the source maintained that the CDA had repeatedly announced a mass transit solution, but had not been able to launch a project duet o paucity of funds.

"However, now, the authority’s dream has come true as the federal government has allocated a hefty fund for this project,” he added.

However, it is not clear yet whether the federal or Punjab government would bear the cost of the Rawalpindi-Islamabad Metro Bus project.

Rs 30bn Metro Bus project to launch in twin cities | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia

soon v ll c some PTI member complaining about it.
i m from khi so i still have to w8 for such project for 2 - 3 more years minimum :offpost:

Sign-Eye-wash-039315.jpg

only a metro or subway train system can reduce traffic congestion in large cities.

I don't get it if Lahore has BRTS then Islamabad is the capital they should've had it before any city did...... I think a subway station would also be a good idea it's a capital city forget about Karachi and their fantasies Islamabad is the only city that can make Pakistan rich:pakistan:

I don't think Islo needs a BRT, however Islo should have a subway or tube system, in the future Islo is going to become more populated and grow more than other Pakistani cities so it's important to begin mass public transit system.

I don't get it if Lahore has BRTS then Islamabad is the capital they should've had it before any city did...... I think a subway station would also be a good idea it's a capital city forget about Karachi and their fantasies Islamabad is the only city that can make Pakistan rich:pakistan:

We do not need to be selective here, every part of our country is important.Karachi's development will depend upon the environment the city provides for it.On the other hand i can see Gawadar giving Karachi a serious competition in the times to come, not only as a port city but also as a major economic pathway, as it has a great potential to be.
Let's just bury this off-topic discussion here.

On topic now, the project is moving on a fast track.Good to see that the path of these metro buses wasn't blocked through a barrier by the new government.Both Islamabad & Pindi (as far as they can manage it) must go forward on this together.

Public transport: Govt to order studies on new Metro Bus projects

The Punjab Metro Bus Authority (PMBA) is to invite bids from consultants soon to conduct feasibility studies for potential bus-only routes in the twin cities of Islamabad-Rawalpindi, Faisalabad and Multan, The Express Tribune has learnt.

Once the feasibility studies are done, the authority will decide where to launch the next Metro Bus modelled on the new service launched in Lahore this year. The PMBA is currently preparing request for proposals, which will later be advertised to invite expressions of interest in the consultancy work for the three projects.

The consultants will have to identify four important routes in each city (based on passenger numbers) and state which would benefit the most passengers. They will also estimate construction costs. Terms of references (TORs) for the request for proposal are still being established, said officials in the PMBA. They said that the studies would have to start from scratch, as no previous studies had been done in these cities.

Gosh! wasn't there already a feasibility study done on this?
The one on the IBD-RWP BRT transport ; i had seen it myself.

Rs 30bn Metro Bus project to launch in twin cities

Islamabad - Capital Development Authority (CDA) Traffic Engineering Director announced on Wednesday that the much awaited Rawalpindi-Islamabad Metro Bus project would be launched in November.

The federal government has allocated Rs 30 billion for the project, he added.

The official said that the Asian Development Bank's Cities Development Initiative Asia (CDIA) Department has already completed the project’s pre-feasibility study.

He informed that the final feasibility report would be completed by next month and tenders would soon be floated in the international media to invite bidding for establishing the transport system.

A senior CDA official choosing to remain anonymous said that the mass transit system issue was taken up by the CDA board in a meeting on Monday. He said that the CDA through its own resources could not manage a practical transport service, so it decided to link the project with Rawalpindi to avail the Punjab government’s assistance.

He added that the CDA was encouraged to reach this decision due to the success of Lahore’s bus service.

The CDA would also engage the Punjab government for a fleet of 50 buses.

The official also said that a recommendations report on the transport project’s finances and administration has been submitted for approval before the CDA board.

Meanwhile, he said, the CDA’s Planning Wing has marked out bus stop locations in the capital city for the project.

Further, the source maintained that the CDA had repeatedly announced a mass transit solution, but had not been able to launch a project duet o paucity of funds.

"However, now, the authority’s dream has come true as the federal government has allocated a hefty fund for this project,” he added.

However, it is not clear yet whether the federal or Punjab government would bear the cost of the Rawalpindi-Islamabad Metro Bus project.

Rs 30bn Metro Bus project to launch in twin cities | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia

I think should also welcome GCC investor a 1100 MW Islamabad powerplant as well.

why not metro rail project>??? as promissed by PMLN... :D

why not metro rail project>??? as promissed by PMLN... :D

Perhaps that could be for the big cities: Lahore and Karachi

Islamabad is a small city. Its population is less than 2 million

Gadani power project to boost economy: Nawaz
GADANI: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Thursday said Gadani power project will boost economy besides creating job opportunities in the country, Geo News reported.

Speaking before the inaugural ceremony of mega power project here, Nawaz said this project should be completed at the earliest as it will not only generate electricity but also flourish industry in this area.

Nawaz said every province will get energy from this project. The target of the PML-N government is to produce 50,000MW electricity, the PM said.

He was optimistic that completion of the projects will help overcome energy crisis besides changing the fate of the country, adding these will also increase facilities and exports.

‘The government will launch underground train service in Karachi very soon’, Nawaz said. He added that 6-lane Karachi-Lahore Motorway will be set up soon.

Perhaps that could be for the big cities: Lahore and Karachi

Islamabad is a small city. Its population is less than 2 million

the promise was a metro rail b/ w Rawalpindi and Islamabad..

Back
Top Bottom