Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
$8.38 billion Japanese fund to revamp transport system

INFRASTRUCTURE
Jahidul Islam
23 February, 2021, 10:40 pm
Last modified: 23 February, 2021, 11:00 pm

The matter will be discussed today at the 4th meeting of the Bangladesh-Japan Joint PPP Platform

5-ppp-projects-need-8_0.jpg

Japan will invest $8.38 billion, equivalent to Tk71,000 crore, through public-private partnerships to implement five transport projects.

The matter will be discussed today at the 4th meeting of the Bangladesh-Japan Joint PPP Platform.

About $2,70 billion of the amount will be spent on the construction of the south side of the outer ring road around the capital.

Two Japanese investors are also willing to construct two multimodal transport hubs centring on Kamalapur and airport railway stations at a cost of $515 million.

The Metro Rail Line-2 from Gabtoli to Chattogram Road in Narayanganj via Bosila, Jigatola, New Market, Palashi, Motijheel, Kamalapur and Demra will get $3.47 billion investment.

Officials of the PPP Authority (PPPA) Bangladesh said a decision had already been made on the investments through government-to-government arrangements.

But the actual expenditure of the projects could not be estimated without feasibility studies, they said. Today's meeting is intended to expedite the procedures, including feasibility studies and the preliminary designs, prior to the start of the construction.

Under a PPP, Chattogram to Cox's Bazar Highway will be upgraded, which has been estimated to cost $1.69 billion.

The Bangladesh government also wants to upgrade the Savar-Paturia road for the construction of a second Padma bridge, with support from Japan, according to the PPP authority. A proposal on this will be placed in the meeting.

Japanese Mitsubishi Corporation has proposed to manage and maintain the third terminal of Dhaka's Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport, which is undergoing construction.

The meeting will discuss this matter as well.
Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister Ahmad Kaikaus will lead the Bangladeshi side while a vice minister will head the Japanese side.

According to sources at the PPPA office, the first meeting of the board of governors of the PPPA approved "Policy for implementing PPP projects through government-to-government partnership" in 2017.

That same year, the first meeting of Bangladesh-Japan Joint PPP Platform was held. Eighteen projects were identified at the time for Japanese investments.

Chief Executive Officer of PPPA Sultana Afroz said Japan as the second largest development partner of Bangladesh had come forward to mitigate the shortage of funds for infrastructure.

The proposed Japanese investments constitute 30% of the total fund of PPP projects in the pipeline. The transport sector will have a turnaround if the projects are implemented.

You are playing with the big boys now so you pay Japanese prices.
Probably more of what @mb444 said... we personally have land that was 4K usd 30 years ago... now it’s worth 295k usd and the govt will take it to expand the road network... we would get nearly double the price of the land

Probably more of what @mb444 said... we personally have land that was 4K usd 30 years ago... now it’s worth 295k usd and the govt will take it to expand the road network... we would get nearly double the price of the land

4k usd was when you were NOT playing with the Big Boys.
295K usd, you are playing with the Big Boys.
Now there are bigger profits to be made by going after your people.
Like that Prince of Egypt movie song....Moses vs the Magi of Pharaoh. Moses chose to NOT play the game.
Good luck, dude.

Bruh 3 billion dollar highway? Tf?
It will be 134 km, 8 lane expressway around Dhaka. Now you can guess how much pricey land Govt. have to acquire. And govt. has a policy to compensate 3 times the price of land. The 2.7 billion Dollar projected cost means, per km will cost Taka 170 crore.

Constructing expressway is costly in every country. Even in India which is known for low cost highway/expressway construction. Their under-construction 8 lane, 1275 km Delhi-Mumbai expressway would cost 1 trillion Rupees. Which translate to 78 crore Rupees or 90 crore Bangladeshi Taka for each km. Note here that, Delhi-Mumbai expressway will pass mostly through rural areas, unlike Dhaka outer ring road. Which reduces greatly the compensation for land. So, taking all these factors, I think 170 crore Taka per km in Dhaka outer ring road is a reasonable price tag.

Bruh 3 billion dollar highway? Tf?

Welcome to pukur churi on a massive scale. Yeh hai one party dictatorship...
It will be 134 km, 8 lane expressway around Dhaka. Now you can guess how much pricey land Govt. have to acquire. And govt. has a policy to compensate 3 times the price of land. The 2.7 billion Dollar projected cost means, per km will cost Taka 170 crore.

Constructing expressway is costly in every country. Even in India which is known for low cost highway/expressway construction. Their under-construction 8 lane, 1275 km Delhi-Mumbai expressway would cost 1 trillion Rupees. Which translate to 78 crore Rupees or 90 crore Bangladeshi Taka for each km. Note here that, Delhi-Mumbai expressway will pass mostly through rural areas, unlike Dhaka outer ring road. Which reduces greatly the compensation for land. So, taking all these factors, I think 170 crore Taka per km in Dhaka outer ring road is a reasonable price tag.

I agree but I think the powers that be still got their cuts as expected....which is substantial.

But - I still want to see this happen, we need it.

In india govt crashed their land price to acquire since it used to be more expensive...
8 lane is huge makes sense.

It will be 134 km, 8 lane expressway around Dhaka.
Are you sure brother? The news was talking about the south side of the outer ring road (previously it was called the east-west elevated expressway). Which was 57 ish kilometer when I designed back in 2016. AFAIK the alignment was not changed from what I had proposed to the BBA. Besides, we have found 8-lane is not economically feasible for such a route. 8-lane expressway for this route seems kinda overkill to me.
In addition, I picked mostly marshy, abandoned, and low-lying lands when I drew the alignment to minimize the land acquisition cost since it would be an elevated one. I am not sure regarding the land acquisition cost you were talking about.
Maybe, I am wrong but please educate me. I would love to know about the current status of my design. It bears an emotional value to me.

Are you sure brother? The news was talking about the south side of the outer ring road (previously it was called the east-west elevated expressway). Which was 57 ish kilometer when I designed back in 2016. AFAIK the alignment was not changed from what I had proposed to the BBA. Besides, we have found 8-lane is not economically feasible for such a route. 8-lane expressway for this route seems kinda overkill to me.
In addition, I picked mostly marshy, abandoned, and low-lying lands when I drew the alignment to minimize the land acquisition cost since it would be an elevated one. I am not sure regarding the land acquisition cost you were talking about.
Maybe, I am wrong but please educate me. I would love to know about the current status of my design. It bears an emotional value to me.

What!!!! 8 lane is an overkill is simply your opinion....i assume CBA has been undertaken and it was found necessary...

Whatever design you came up with was obviously substandard. Why would you choose to create a road to minimise land aquisition cost.

This is a ring road surrounding a metropolis. You need it to hug the city. What is the cost in fuel, time wasted in the lifetime of the road that is randomly winding around a city haphazardly.

Additionally should you not take up your bizzare issues with the concerned authorities. Why would you turn up here in a minor forum seeking to be educated. I can not tell if you are a delutional fantasist or a troll.

Yes, I am. What you are saying is 48 km southern part of the entire ring road project(134km). Back in 2016, govt. did not have plan about ring road, but East-West expressway which require constructing expressway from scratch. But over time their plan evolved and now plan to include upgradation of some existing 2-4 lane roads around Dhaka and connect them with this newly would be build 48 km, previously called East-West elevated expressway and named that entire project as 'Ring road'. This 48 km will be build first and will cost Taka 10200 crore or 1.2 billion Dollar. Rest of the length, 86 km which already exist as 2-4 lane road will be converted to 8 lane expressway and it will cost farther 1.5 billion Dollar. Thus the entire ring road will be a 8 lane expressway. You can read farther here-

Last edited:
Yes, I am. What you are saying is 48 km southern part of the entire ring road project(134km). Back in 2016, govt. did not have plan about ring road, but East-West expressway which require constructing expressway from scratch. But over time their plan evolved and now plan to include upgradation of some existing 2-4 lane roads around Dhaka and connect them with this newly would be build 48 km, previously called East-West elevated expressway and named that entire project as 'Ring road'. This 48 km will be build first and will cost Taka 10200 crore or 1.2 billion Dollar. Rest of the length, 86 km which already exist as 2-4 lane road will be converted to 8 lane expressway and it will cost farther 1.5 billion Dollar. Thus the entire ring road will be a 8 lane expressway. You can read farther here-

Bro what about the northern part of the capital?
also, you’re a civil engineer too?

What!!!! 8 lane is an overkill is simply your opinion....i assume CBA has been undertaken and it was found necessary...

Whatever design you came up with was obviously substandard. Why would you choose to create a road to minimise land aquisition cost.

This is a ring road surrounding a metropolis. You need it to hug the city. What is the cost in fuel, time wasted in the lifetime of the road that is randomly winding around a city haphazardly.

Additionally should you not take up your bizzare issues with the concerned authorities. Why would you turn up here in a minor forum seeking to be educated. I can not tell if you are a delutional fantasist or a troll.

I have no idea what triggered you! I did not expect something like this. I posted this to double-check and know stuff here. Despite I have found some pointless slur spewing at me by you.

Yes! 8-lane is overkill. We simulated the whole traffic situation in CUBE (I guess you do not know what it is, please do a google search) and forecast future traffic for the upcoming 25 years. 8-lane is overkill. 4-lane (2 lanes each way) is quite economical.
Hugging the city! Oh boy! You must have been talking about the inner ring-road project. The construction of the inner 8-lane ring (4-lane each way) will soon start. Keeping that in mind, do you still think an 8-lane outer ring-road is ok?
"Why would you choose to create a road to minimize land acquisition cost?" I guess you have limited knowledge regarding how a project works. Land acquisition is not only costly but also critical. It is easier when less valuable land with fewer people live there to select for a big project. Why? To reduce conflicts regarding politics, public sentiment, budget as well as financial issues. Also, look at the attached file, where the outer ring-road is proposed by DAP.
Yes, my designs are substandard! However, some of them are built (e.g., approach road of Kanchpur, Meghna, Gumti 2nd bridge by Japanese contractor) and some are waiting to be built (e.g., Dhaka Ashulia elevated expressway). I am not here for getting a vouch from you.
Why I came here to get educated (I have serious doubt regarding your understanding of my context of using such a word ). Well, I have found people here smart and knowledgeable as compared to other social platforms. I must say, I have learned many things from your post too.
Finally, I have attached a photo of RSTP where you can have an idea about the ring-road system around Dhaka. The red line is the inner ring road and the black one is the middle/outer ring road.
Good day!
unnamed.jpg

Thanks a lot!
Looks like it's a different project proposed by RHD, not by BBA.
Appreciate it!

I have no idea what triggered you! I did not expect something like this. I posted this to double-check and know stuff here. Despite I have found some pointless slur spewing at me by you.

Yes! 8-lane is overkill. We simulated the whole traffic situation in CUBE (I guess you do not know what it is, please do a google search) and forecast future traffic for the upcoming 25 years. 8-lane is overkill. 4-lane (2 lanes each way) is quite economical.
Hugging the city! Oh boy! You must have been talking about the inner ring-road project. The construction of the inner 8-lane ring (4-lane each way) will soon start. Keeping that in mind, do you still think an 8-lane outer ring-road is ok?
"Why would you choose to create a road to minimize land acquisition cost?" I guess you have limited knowledge regarding how a project works. Land acquisition is not only costly but also critical. It is easier when less valuable land with fewer people live there to select for a big project. Why? To reduce conflicts regarding politics, public sentiment, budget as well as financial issues. Also, look at the attached file, where the outer ring-road is proposed by DAP.
Yes, my designs are substandard! However, some of them are built (e.g., approach road of Kanchpur, Meghna, Gumti 2nd bridge by Japanese contractor) and some are waiting to be built (e.g., Dhaka Ashulia elevated expressway). I am not here for getting a vouch from you.
Why I came here to get educated (I have serious doubt regarding your understanding of my context of using such a word ). Well, I have found people here smart and knowledgeable as compared to other social platforms. I must say, I have learned many things from your post too.
Finally, I have attached a photo of RSTP where you can have an idea about the ring-road system around Dhaka. The red line is the inner ring road and the black one is the middle/outer ring road.
Good day!View attachment 719524

Thanks a lot!
Looks like it's a different project proposed by RHD, not by BBA.
Appreciate it!
Is this map the whole of Dhaka?

Back
Top Bottom