What's new

6th Gen. Aircraft: Predictions and Expectations

Do you know why?

I have started the thread so that all can contribute. It is not me who knows all or just want to lecture...it is knowledge sharing thread. Pus what do you specifically mean next gen EW? as this nothing specialy each new gen aircraft has new gen systems too. So please be more specific in details because prefixing next gen. on a PC with a keyboard is not such a big deal.

Dear you take my words offensive, I didn't mean in that way, I am saying you have included every thing except these few things. With Next gen EW I means EW suit which is used in and for A2/AD environments.

Dear you take my words offensive, I didn't mean in that way, I am saying you have included every thing except these few things. With Next gen EW I means EW suit which is used in and for A2/AD environments.
NO ofcourse I do not take as an offence rather I welcome you but I want to be more specific. What frequencies and feature, capabilities do you expect since it is too early to say anything about the future and the rate of development has been accelerating, now we have virtual reality in consumer grade PCs and a lot of cool techs which were considered scifi a few years earlier. But still we can make educated guesses.

Speaking of unmanned jets, any updates on that fly itself F-16?

Do you know why?

I have started the thread so that all can contribute. It is not me who knows all or just want to lecture...it is knowledge sharing thread. Pus what do you specifically mean next gen EW? as this nothing specialy each new gen aircraft has new gen systems too. So please be more specific in details because prefixing next gen. on a PC with a keyboard is not such a big deal.
No sir i don't know

Speaking of unmanned jets, any updates on that fly itself F-16?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon_variants#QF-16
On 19 September 2013, an empty F-16 jet tested by Boeing and US Air Force, two US Air Force pilots controlled the plane from the ground as it flew from Tyndall Air Force Base, Panama City, Florida.[89] Boeing suggested that the innovation could ultimately be used to help train pilots, providing an adversary they could practice firing on. The jet – which had previously sat mothballed at an Arizona site for 15 years – flew at an altitude of 40,000 ft (12.2 km) and a speed of Mach 1.47 (1,119 mph/1,800 km/h). It carried out a series of maneuvers including a barrel roll and a "split S" – a move in which the aircraft turns upside down before making a half loop so that it flies the right-way-up in the opposite direction. This can be used in combat to evade missile lock-ons. The firm added that the flight attained 7 g of acceleration but was capable of carrying out maneuvers at 9 g – something that might cause physical problems for a pilot.[90] Boeing was awarded the contract on 10 October 2013 for low-rate initial production (LRIP) Lot 1 of 13 QF-16s. A second award on 20 May 2014 covered production Lot 2, comprising a further 23 QF-16s. On 27 March 2015, Boeing received a US$24.46 million contract for 25 Lot 3 QF-16s and 25 four-year warranties of the QF-16 drone-peculiar equipment. The first production Lot 1 FSAT, QF-16C, 86-0233, 'QF-007', was delivered on 11 March 2015 to Tyndall Air Force Base. It was previously operated by the Michigan Air National Guard's 107th Fighter Squadron, 127th Wing and then stored at the 309th AMARG before being moved to Cecil Field in April 2013 for QF-16 configuring.[91]

Perhaps fighter jets that fights in low earth orbit.

I always thought a nuclear reactor powered plane is an avenue that has been overlooked. It could fly for years, without needing to land or replenish it food supplies (if it was unmanned). It could also be armed with directed energy weapons mounted on turrets. It won't necessarily need to fly fast if it had a high enough altitude and a powerful radar and antenna.
It is like making a sitting duck for antiradiation missiles
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

France Will Skip to 6th Generation Fighter

MOSCOW, January 5 - RIA Novosti.

France, unlike Russia, does not intend to create a combat aircraft of the fifth generation, but intends to go straight to work on complex sixth-generation aircraft to be operated without a pilot, said the well-known French expert Arnaud Kalika (Arnaud Kalika).

"In France, following closely the work being done by the United States, Russia and China to build new combat aircraft. And experts are more inclined to believe that the path chosen, in particular, Russia - this is not our way ", - said Russian journalists Kalika, who is a member of the military section" Valdai Club ".
France, he said, intends to take another, more rational and less costly way.

"Today, it is clear that the establishment of military aircraft by numerous modifications of the fourth generation aviation complex, all of these boxes," four plus "," four-plus-plus "and so on - is inappropriate. It is too costly and ineffective exercise "- the expert believes.

According to him, the French defense workers "are going to jump to the fifth generation in the Russian sense of the term, and today are focused on creating a fundamentally new military aviation complex."
"It will be an unmanned aircraft with a supersonic cruise speed, a fundamentally new system for jamming, equipped with a powerful laser and electromagnetic weapons, and missiles with hypersonic flight speed" - Kalika said.

"This will be the sixth-generation aircraft in the literal sense of the word," - said Kalika.
According to him, like aerial system can be created by France did not earlier 2040-2050 period.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon_variants#QF-16
On 19 September 2013, an empty F-16 jet tested by Boeing and US Air Force, two US Air Force pilots controlled the plane from the ground as it flew from Tyndall Air Force Base, Panama City, Florida.[89] Boeing suggested that the innovation could ultimately be used to help train pilots, providing an adversary they could practice firing on. The jet – which had previously sat mothballed at an Arizona site for 15 years – flew at an altitude of 40,000 ft (12.2 km) and a speed of Mach 1.47 (1,119 mph/1,800 km/h). It carried out a series of maneuvers including a barrel roll and a "split S" – a move in which the aircraft turns upside down before making a half loop so that it flies the right-way-up in the opposite direction. This can be used in combat to evade missile lock-ons. The firm added that the flight attained 7 g of acceleration but was capable of carrying out maneuvers at 9 g – something that might cause physical problems for a pilot.[90] Boeing was awarded the contract on 10 October 2013 for low-rate initial production (LRIP) Lot 1 of 13 QF-16s. A second award on 20 May 2014 covered production Lot 2, comprising a further 23 QF-16s. On 27 March 2015, Boeing received a US$24.46 million contract for 25 Lot 3 QF-16s and 25 four-year warranties of the QF-16 drone-peculiar equipment. The first production Lot 1 FSAT, QF-16C, 86-0233, 'QF-007', was delivered on 11 March 2015 to Tyndall Air Force Base. It was previously operated by the Michigan Air National Guard's 107th Fighter Squadron, 127th Wing and then stored at the 309th AMARG before being moved to Cecil Field in April 2013 for QF-16 configuring.[91]

Perhaps fighter jets that fights in low earth orbit.

Thanks for that.

There is no such news as I believe F-16s will be replaced by F-35.

Yes there is.

There are flaws in your assumptions since you are thinking that the competition will be with the same less or no maneuverable aircraft. You cannot win all wars with BVRs since others will also have BVRs or do you think Russians and Chinese do not have BVRs?... Furthermore a 5th gen highly maneuverable aircraft with BVRs and stealth tech will be more potent than a 6th gen without or with less. Also your observation is flawed since with every gen the maneuverability has been going up. Most of the modern aircraft feature thrust vectoring, do you know why?...F-35 and F22 are stealthy but still more acrobatic than F-15, F16 or F-18s and similar is the case with Russian Su-35 and Pak-Fa
The flaw is in ur thinking as well.... Russians have been sporting TVC from 80s? Still they couldnt match the western tech - why? simply having BVR is not gonna help- who sees first shoots first. The given drone concept is designed to have less signature output ( both radar and heat) against active and passive seekers out there.
F22 is maneuvarable but not to the extent of Su27 airframe with 3DTVC but who is gonna have advantage in combat? Do u think the F22 will wait for Sukoi to come near it? We are talking about next gen RCS reduction , maneuvarability is important but not the extent it is hyped.

You should think why only nuclear powered aircraft carriers and submarines (marine systems only) exist but no land or air vehicle has it? and why did USA or Russia not do it yet? Simply because it is impossible and if you knew how nuclear power plants work then perhaps you might have not asked this question since nuclear power plant requires a huge amount of water to cool it down and that's all the nuclear powerplants have to be close to a water source.

The US looked into it in the 50's. Problem was shielding. Like 12 tons of lead needed,

The engines worked fine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_J47#The_nuclear-powered_X39

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_X-6

Problem is if it crashes there will be hell to pay.

They are trying to make a fusion one now.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/lockheed-says-itll-have-a-truck-sized-fusion-reactor-in-1646724586

Last edited:
I know about it but it can't maneuvre like a fighterjet
your still lining in 1970s come out of that a 6th gen fighter jet dose not needs ultra maneuvrability to escape missiles and its expaendable but it surely carries a few next gen cross between HOBS and BVR air to air missile to tackle any kind of arial threat

Well only flying fifth gen is F 22 is shrouded with mystery and exorbitant cost to operate, f 35 is beset with problems for so long. before mastering the manufacturer of 5th gen now jumping on 6th ?

your still lining in 1970s come out of that a 6th gen fighter jet dose not needs ultra maneuvrability to escape missiles and its expaendable but it surely carries a few next gen cross between HOBS and BVR air to air missile to tackle any kind of arial threat
Your comment does not contribute to the thread. I can see you have banned and I think rightly so.

Well only flying fifth gen is F 22 is shrouded with mystery and exorbitant cost to operate, f 35 is beset with problems for so long. before mastering the manufacturer of 5th gen now jumping on 6th ?
This is called parallel processing. They always think ahead of time. F-35 has problems because of the exacting demands and their attempt to design a single platform for all purposes which puts conflicting demands on the design and development. Furthermore, involvement of so many partners brings a new set problems related to work culture and coordinations of the project so with all these experience, I think they are well equipped to embark upon the developmnet of the next gen.

Last edited:
The flaw is in ur thinking as well.... Russians have been sporting TVC from 80s? Still they couldnt match the western tech - why? simply having BVR is not gonna help- who sees first shoots first. The given drone concept is designed to have less signature output ( both radar and heat) against active and passive seekers out there.
F22 is maneuvarable but not to the extent of Su27 airframe with 3DTVC but who is gonna have advantage in combat? Do u think the F22 will wait for Sukoi to come near it? We are talking about next gen RCS reduction , maneuvarability is important but not the extent it is hyped.
Stealth is already very researched and its limits are being reached, while the world of radar detection has a lot of potential to be improved.

As to what will define the 6th generation fighter will be it's energy weapons, especially those which will be able to target A2A missiles and destroy any incoming threats. The speed of the fighter itself, the ease of deployment and its interlinking with piloted fighters will all create a perfect 6th generation fighter.

Back
Top Bottom