What's new

650 MW wind power project to be set up in Jhampir

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In Sindh, a 650 megawatt wind power project is to be set up in Jhampir Wind Corridor of district Thatta.

A Consortium of Chinese Banks and Insurance Companies have consented to invest over one billion dollars on the project.

A Sindh government spokesman told Radio Pakistan's Hyderabad correspondent that the project would be completed by June 2016.

The spokesman said the project will not only add cheaper electricity to the national grid but also create over 1,000 jobs for the local people.

Radio Pakistan

The Jhimpir Wind Power Plant is a wind farm located at Jhimpir in Thatta District of Sindh province in Pakistan, 120 kilometres North-East of Karachi. The project has been developed by Zorlu Energy Pakistan, a subsidiary of the Turkish firm Zorlu Enerji. The total cost of project is $143 million.

Phase I
In the first phase, five Turkish-made gearless VENSYS 62 wind turbines each capable of producing 1.2 MW were installed to generate 6 MW power in April 2009.

Phase II
In the second phase, 28 more wind turbines of 1.8 MW capacity each, supplied by Vestas of Denmark were installed to produce a total of 50.4 MW electricity. This increased the capacity of the project to 56.4 MW. The project was completed in March 2013.

In July 2013, Zorlu Enerji announced that its 56.4 MW Jhimpir wind power plant in Pakistan had started to sell power to the Pakistani national power distribution company after having passed all the required tests.

Currently the privately owned Turkish wind farm is selling the produced electricity to Pakistan at a rate of 12.1057 US cents per kilowatt hour of electricity.

Jhimpir Wind Power Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gharo Wind Power Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2000MW wind power project signed

China offers 500 MW Wind Power Project to Sindh

Last edited:
Wind farms are always a good idea, but there have been cases in Japan where they have failed due to the high maintenance cost. Maybe because they were the first one to experiment with it.

Lot of MOU's being signed and tall claims being made.

I will wait till few gigawatts of Electricity is added to the GRID before I get excited.

Till then it is just NOORA LEAGUE FANBOYS having fun on Paper.

Lot of MOU's being signed and tall claims being made.

I will wait till few gigawatts of Electricity is added to the GRID before I get excited.

Till then it is just NOORA LEAGUE FANBOYS having fun on Paper.
This IPP business screws the consumers in the end, no one else! We've seen it before.

Back
Top Bottom