What's new

45 Hindu prisoners at Tihar keep Ramzan fast

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
45 Hindu prisoners at Tihar keep Ramzan fast - Hindustan Times

In a unique example of communal harmony, 45 Hindu prisoners in Tihar Jail in new Delhi have been keeping rozas, the dawn-to-dusk fast during Ramzan, along with over 1,800 Muslim inmates.

Tihar Law officer Sunil Gupta said the Hindu prisoners had started keeping rozas from July 11, the first day of Ramzan and conveyed to the authorities that they would continue it for the entire length of fasting period.

"45 Hindu inmates have joined around 1,800 Muslim inmates in observing fasts. It is a wonderful example of unity and harmony among the prisoners," said Gupta.

Against its sanctioned strength to house 6,000 prisoners, the Tihar prison currently has 13,000 inmates including 3,500 from Muslim community.

Gupta said the jail authorities have made all the arrangements so that those observing Ramzan do not face any difficulty.

"We are making special arrangements for the inmates keeping roza. Various food items are being made available to them at 3am while seasonal fruits, snacks and other dishes are being arranged for 'iftar' (the evening meal)," he said.

Gupta said fasting by the Hindu prisoners along with their Muslim friends have symbolised the "strong bond of unity" among the inmates which must be "sincerely appreciated".

Ramzan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, is observed as a fasting period by Muslims, who abstain from food and water from sunrise to sunset.

Muslims wake up early morning for the pre-dawn 'sehri' meal renouncing food and water during the day before breaking their fasts in the evening. The sumptuous evening meals are known as 'iftars'.

The month-long fasting will culminate in the Id-ul-Fitr celebrations next month.

As Islam follows a lunar calendar, the holy month begins every year about 11 days earlier and its commencement is traditionally determined by the appearance of the new moon.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/member...ep-fasts-along-muslim-friends-tihar-jail.html

If you want to find RAM, do at least once RAMZAN. :)

having kept the fast for three years I can say with confidence that keeping this fast leaves a man with self confidence & a sense of satisfaction of being able to handle adverse situations.

After the first 3-4 days one gets used to the changed body clock.

having kept the fast for three years I can say with confidence that keeping this fast leaves a man with self confidence & a sense of satisfaction of being able to handle adverse situations.

Salute the devotions of the Mohammedans to the Supreme Lord. :tup:

45 out of 9,500 'Hindu' prisoners fasting... hmmm
'Hindu' in quote because there is no universally accepted defn of 'Hindu'...

A lot is going to come out of it. Life in jail is tough. By doing this if the Government issues them a certificate of good conduct, they may get out early.
dear nothing is gonna to come out with this..........

better to be keep distance from them

I usually adjust by the end of Ramadan and by then its time to revert :D

After Sehri kya class ki neend aati hai. I've been 30-45 mins late to work consistently because its so hard to get up. I don't feel hungry so much but by Iftar time I do feel mighty thirsty - partly because of the heat here, you step outside and you sweat profusely.

Back
Top Bottom