What's new

40 Indians kidnapped in Iraq's Mosul, ISIS rebels suspected

SouthDesi

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: Around 40 Indians working on projects near the Iraqi city of Mosul were kidnapped by suspected ISIS militants when they were being evacuated from the area ravaged by the war between the Shia-dominated government in Baghdad and Sunni jihadis.

The 40 Indians were waylaid when they were being evacuated from the war zone because of fear for their safety in view of the spiralling civil war. Mosul, the heart of the oil-rich region dominated by ethnic Kurds, was captured by ISIS raiders before being retaken by the 'peshmargas', the Kurd militia.

A worried Indian government responded to the crisis by getting in touch with Iraqi authorities and by dispatching former ambassador to Iraq Suresh Reddy. Reddy, recently appointed as special envoy to Asean and known to have contacts among Iraqis, was on his way to Mosul.

36728773.cms

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who reviewed the situation with foreign policy and security experts, has directed that no effort be spared to ensure the safe return of hapless Indian workers. Sources in the government said the PM has asked all sources to be tapped for locating the workers. National security advisor A K Doval is coordinating the rescue effort.

The 40 Indians are construction workers. There are around 46 Indian nurses in Tikrit, the hometown of late Saddam Hussein. Some 14 of the nurses want to leave while others are still willing to hang on, said sources.

However, it is recognized that bringing back the hostages is going to be a huge challenge. There is no authority whose writ runs in Mosul and adjoining areas. Also, while the preliminary estimate has it that the abductors were from ISIS, there is no confirmation, nor a clue to the specific gang which carried out the abduction.

36728768.cms

Negotiating with ISIS, whose brutality has shocked even hardened al-Qaida commanders, can be a tough order, that is if they are identified and are willing to come to the table at all. Last week, ISIS traumatized the world by releasing pictures of its fighters shooting unarmed Iraqi soldiers in cold blood.

So far, there is no clarity on the demands of the Islamic militants.

Mosul, a prominent oil exploration and trade city with a large population of expats, has been in the midst of the turmoil set off by the determined bid by ISIS bid to push towards Baghdad and unseat the Nouri Al Maliki regime.

The Sunni-Shia overtones of the clash have seen the official forces being forced on to the back foot. ISIS rebels are believed to be not more than 60km from Baghdad.

40 Indians kidnapped in Iraq's Mosul, involvement of ISIS rebels suspected - The Times of India

I cant this is happening, just a short time ago the USA left Iraq and now a couple of thousand religious nuts are taking over the country while the military is running away from them?

Unbelievable.......

If they are Hindu they are probably already dead if they are Muslims they will probably be ransomed.

I cant this is happening, just a short time ago the USA left Iraq and now a couple of thousand religious nuts are taking over the country while the military is running away from them?

Unbelievable.......

Bcs Iraqi army is a non-professional army led by incompetent leaders riddled with corruption. The morale of the men was already at an all time low when ISIS came through. Coupled with their spine chilling brutality the Iraqi army collapsed.

Only if they are Sunnis.Otherwise they will be killed.
I hope GoI will take sufficient measures to protect them.

They even killed Sunnis who sided with the Govt like police/ army officers.

Unbelievable.......
Probably this will be the fate of Afghanistan too. ANA is also a corrupt American trained army like the Iraqi army and the Taliban (who are much more hardened fighters than ISIS) are unflinching in their determination. They will most likely take over Afghanistan in the near future.

Unbelievable.......

Just think. They armed Iraq a lot better than Afghanistan can ever dream of. Plus they bought equipment like candy with their petro $'s.

Bcs Iraqi army is a non-professional army led by incompetent leaders riddled with corruption. The morale of the men was already at an all time low when ISIS came through. Coupled with their spine chilling brutality the Iraqi army collapsed.

They even killed Sunnis who sided with the Govt like police/ army officers.

Half the afghan army is already Taliban. I know you already have the Blue on Blue reports.

If they are kidnapped by ISIS and are Hindus then they are in deep trouble. Anyways i hope they return safe and sound.

Probably this will be the fate of Afghanistan too. ANA is also a corrupt American trained army like the Iraqi army and the Taliban (who are much more hardened fighters than ISIS) are unflinching in their determination. They will most likely take over Afghanistan in the near future.

Reason to be more proud of our armed forces.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom