What's new

3D printed houses seen in China's Suzhou

I always wondered how Americans can afford such huge houses till i found out how they build it. :D

Lol try Australian House for a size...

You can build a wood-canvas house for a 1500 square meter(ahout 10k square feet) block for about 200k AUD and depend on where you are building it, land cost from 300k in suburb to 700k in city lol...

My house is a full brick home on a 740 sqm block. It cost 500k 5 years ago and in sydney no less...

Lol try Australian House for a size...

You can build a wood-canvas house for a 1500 square meter(ahout 10k square feet) block for about 200k AUD and depend on where you are building it, land cost from 300k in suburb to 700k in city lol...

My house is a full brick home on a 740 sqm block. It cost 500k 5 years ago and in sydney no less...
Lol in my city a small family house costs about 1 million, American style building wouldnt be allowed here in the first place.
I always wondered why they are building such cardboard houses in hurricane zones.

3D打印房子看上去很美而已,房子的强度很难保证,中国是地震多发国,这样的房子我真不敢住。
未来建筑应该是工厂化生产,到工地组装,这个技术远大集团做的很不错。

nothing found to contribute on topic so ENGLISH PLZ

I always wondered how Americans can afford such huge houses till i found out how they build it. :D
It is about available land in the first place, and not so much about construction method. Just to give you an idea of population vs land...

What it would look like if 7.2bn population were dumped into Grand Canyon | Daily Mail Online
If you took all the world's population and dumped them into the Grand Canyon they wouldn't fill a fraction of it.
If every of our 7 billion human beings is allowed a 3 meters by 3 meters box, we would all fit inside continental US, or South America, or Europe, or Russia, or China, or Australia, and there would still be plenty of room leftover.

My whole property is quarter acre or roughly 1000 sq-meter. My house is 278 sq-m, 139 up and 139 down (basement). Upstairs have 3 bedrooms and two baths. Down have a 'theater' room that is also my library, one room that is my 'office' or use as another bedroom, one bath, and two large storage rooms. Not all houses in the US have basements. Depends on the water table. US state of Florida is an example of where houses with basement are very rare.

When a builder complete a house, he will leave the basement bare, as in bare walls and concrete floor because most homeowners would rather finish the basement to his preference. The homeowner would either finish customizing the basement himself, or he could hire someone to do it. For my house, the previous owner finished the basement himself and I like how he did it, so I bought it, but finished basements can make selling a house difficult because potential buyers may not like the competed layout. I have no intention of selling. In the newer subdivisions, houses and property lots are smaller, like 1/3 less than mine, but I know that is still larger than most elsewhere in the world. We in the western half of CONUS do have it good when it comes to our homes. In the mid-west and western parts of continental US, my house is average. Population density is not like the eastern side of CONUS where that part of the US is older.

I think what China did here will be closely observed by US homebuilders. The potential for energy efficient and strong homes are very high, excellent builds for apartments, even large apartments equal to my house. Am positive construction will be faster as well. Not every homeowner shops at Home Depot to modify his/her house. Many would rather buy the house and live in it as they bought it. This 3D printing construction method will be ideal for this.

This means once the house is built, there will be no room (pun intended) for modifications.
actually sir structural beams can be placed to bear the weight of the area to be changed. It is quite common in brick houses and i think the concept is going to be same.

My whole property is quarter acre or roughly 1000 sq-meter. My house is 278 sq-m, 139 up and 139 down (basement). Upstairs have 3 bedrooms and two baths. Down have a 'theater' room that is also my library, one room that is my 'office' or use as another bedroom, one bath, and two large storage rooms.
you live in the suburbs I guess. which city are you currently residing in if that is not too personal a question feel free to ignore it if you wish.

What a time to be alive - time to torrent a house!
forever_alone_pirate[1].jpg

I know, not possible, just a joke.

actually sir structural beams can be placed to bear the weight of the area to be changed. It is quite common in brick houses and i think the concept is going to be same.
True. But that is difficult to tell from these photos on which is a load bearing structure. Apartment homes are not, or should not be, designed/built to be modifiable, at least not by the renter, and ease of modification is what I was talking about. For my old fashioned designed/built house, I know where the major load bearing structures are so if I want to expand a room, I can literally knock out a wall in an afternoon, put up a new wall the next afternoon, and have a larger room in 2-3 days, complete with paint/finish.

In this 3D printed construction method, I am confident that we can print a wall that is also removable if desired, but how/what are we going to replace that wall with ? Does the builder have a supply of 3D printed home components readied ? Is the material used in this 3D printing construction method usually available, remember, the material is made of some kind of construction waste ? What are the standards for safety and energy efficiency, for the latter, it is even more important today than in the past ? There are plenty of legitimate questions here.

In this 3D printed construction method, I am confident that we can print a wall that is also removable if desired, but how/what are we going to replace that wall with ? Does the builder have a supply of 3D printed home components readied ? Is the material used in this 3D printing construction method usually available, remember, the material is made of some kind of construction waste ? What are the standards for safety and energy efficiency, for the latter, it is even more important today than in the past ? There are plenty of legitimate questions here.
important questions but i think where there is demand there will be suppliers popping up, but yes as this technology matures one will have to think of these. Right now its new and people are enjoying the uniqueness without asking these questions but as it gets more main stream these will be answered. China has actually been working very hard on energy efficiency in the last two years towards a greener world. It will be gradual but change will come.

Son slamming a toy car makes the wall structurally unsound ? :o:

What kind of a toy car does your little one drive ? :unsure:

Or are walls over there in the States not made from bricks and layers of cement anymore ? :undecided:

As a matter of fact, no they are not. A lot of houses in US are made from plywood. To get bricks, you need to pay extra. There is a reason a lot of new houses in US doesn't last nearly as long as the ones built in older days.

The way china is erecting buildings is more efficient, manageable and maintainable than one piece 3D printed house. Where you get freedom of creating anything you like, having house in one piece makes modifications impossible, unless 3D printer was building individual pieces/panels which were later joined together.

3D打印房子看上去很美而已,房子的强度很难保证,中国是地震多发国,这样的房子我真不敢住。
未来建筑应该是工厂化生产,到工地组装,这个技术远大集团做的很不错。

The place is Suzhou

The way china is erecting buildings is more efficient, manageable and maintainable than one piece 3D printed house. Where you get freedom of creating anything you like, having house in one piece makes modifications impossible, unless 3D printer was building individual pieces/panels which were later joined together.

You guys are thinking matters like kids @gambit
2012471012059233.gif

who said 3D-buildings above are made in "one piece" and not modifiable?

There is too little technical information about THIS house. More like no information at all.

For non-professional but curious people like me, we do want more information, especially about THIS house, such as how was it built. Yes, we know it is 3D printed, but were all structures printed on site, or were they printed at a factory and assembled at site ? What is the composition of the material ? This is important because a home is expected to last at least the life of the occupants -- 80 or more yrs. What are the cost comparisons between this new material vs conventional materials ? Etc...

Overall, I am enthusiastic about this. If there is a need for affordable housing for a lot of people, China is doing the right thing in taking the lead with this technology for her people.

Back
Top Bottom