3D Printed Guns

Austin company unveils first metal gun from 3D printer
e71839241921ec7a4aa9b1e178664be02f6f5bad

by JESSICA VESS / KVUE News & Photojournalist KENNETH NULL

Bio | Email | Follow: @JessicaV_KVUE
kvue.com

Posted on November 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Updated Monday, Nov 18 at 7:52 AM

AUSTIN -- Groundbreaking technology is unfolding in Austin. Production company Solid Concepts developed the first metal handgun using a 3D printer.

“My heart of hearts told me it would do good,” said Project Coordinator at Solid Concepts Eric Mutchler. “I'm not a gun smith by any means. I'm not a full blown mechanical engineer by any means. But I knew if we could get the parts built in this process, we could make it run.”

Mutchler wanted to prove the vast capabilities of 3D printing.

“It was side work. It was kind of under the radar and off everybody's plate,” explained Mutchler.

After getting a firearms manufacturing license, Mutchler spent months sneaking back into the company’s printing rooms, working with engineers, to bring a 100-year-old gun design into the modern world.

The lasers inside the metal 3D printers created each piece of the gun through a process of stacking one layer of metal powder over another. It can take between four to six hours to print smaller pieces. Most are done in 20 hours.

The pieces come out on a solid slab of metal. They’re then shaved away and the parts, 36 in all, are assembled. When it came together Mutchler presented the product to his managers.

“I wanted to shoot it. I was like the third person, so it was great,” said VP of Additive Manufacturing at Solid Concepts Kent Firestone.

Firestone was excited to see the new products come off the machines. Solid Concepts typically manufactures products for medical, aerospace and automotive industries.

“I think the sky is the limit. Every day we try to develop new applications for these technologies,” said Firestone.

When Firestone and Mutchler took the gun for a test run at a local shooting range, others in nearby bays wanted to try it out.

The company released a video on YouTube showing the gun in operation. In a matter of days it had more than one million views and a never-ending stream of comments.

“It's run the gamut. From overwhelming positive to negative, to 'Why did they choose to build a gun?'” said Firestone.

The Austin Police Association says any gun poses a threat. President Wayne Vincent worries that the 3D printing technology could eventually make guns more readily available. Firestone assures their gun is just a prototype to show the capabilities of 3D printing. He says it’s costly and will not go into full production.

However there are some who are requesting one of their own.

“We've had some serious inquiries as to 'Can I buy one?' 'Can I have that one?' The first one we will never sell,” said Firestone.

Firestone says there are plans to build several more prototypes.

Austin company unveils first metal gun from 3D printer |
kvue.com Austin

wasnt able to watch video but yes its true 3D printers are already churning out firearms; in some countries, serial # wuud not be required for "customized" firearms that are built from scratch

only thing they cant make with 3D printer is the barrel....even if one did, it would hardly last a few shots, probably not even one mag's worth

barrel would have to be purchase seperately

wasnt able to watch video but yes its true 3D printers are already churning out firearms; in some countries, serial # wuud not be required for "customized" firearms that are built from scratch

only thing they cant make with 3D printer is the barrel....even if one did, it would hardly last a few shots, probably not even one mag's worth

barrel would have to be purchase seperately
3d printing and stereolithography are just few methods of polymer based rapid prototyping techniques, with methods like selective laser sintering and direct metal deposition, there is potential to make metallic barrels too...

sandy_3126...you bought a printer yet??

Even as someone with a moderate interest in firearms, i find this disturbing.

It's on a wish list, but there will be some time before that. I am in the process of buying a house, if I am able to get a big enough lot for a 3 car garage, i will be exploring getting a small CNC mill/VMC, thats one of the top hitters on my list, 3d printer sounds good to the geek inside, but I dont see much use for it...

Even as someone with a moderate interest in firearms, i find this disturbing.
q sirji? just another method to fabricate stuff... even today in US you can, build a legal AK reciever by pressing it into shape with home made dies and a bottle jack, and buy egyptian maadi parts kit for $200 odd dollars or buy a semi finished AR receiver and finish it using a jig on a drill press and order your upper reciever without any paperwork,

The bottom line is a criminal is not going to take the pain to learn how to use a 3dCAD software, tweak it to make a firearm model and then prototype each component and put them together and then test it to sell it or use it rob someone... he will go to a back alley in down toen and buy a saturday night special...

Engineering firearms is left to firearm enthusiasts and engineering nerds, not criminals...

Last edited:
It's on a wish list, but there will be some time before that. I am in the process of buying a house, if I am able to get a big enough lot for a 3 car garage, i will be exploring getting a small CNC mill/VMC, thats one of the top hitters on my list, 3d printer sounds good to the geek inside, but I dont see much use for it...

q sirji? just another method to fabricate stuff... even today in US you can, build a legal AK reciever by pressing it into shape with home made dies and a bottle jack, and buy egyptian maadi parts kit for $200 odd dollars or buy a semi finished AR receiver and finish it using a jig on a drill press and order your upper reciever without any paperwork,

The bottom line is a criminal is not going to take the pain to learn how to use a 3dCAD software, tweak it to make a firearm model and then prototype each component and put them together and then test it to sell it or use it rob someone... he will go to a back alley in down toen and buy a saturday night special...

Engineering firearms is left to firearm enthusiasts and engineering nerds, not criminals...

It the polymer construction that bothers me greatly. Serious security implications!

It the polymer construction that bothers me greatly. Serious security implications!
Polymer weapons will still need a steel barrel made from steel or al alloy the least. but I do see where you are going with this, I think in the future, for the Xray scanners in airport will use smart algorithm's to isolate potentially suspect shapes irrespective of material it's made from, so even if anyone is carrying a BB gun, prepare to be stopped at the airport.

Polymer weapons will still need a steel barrel made from steel or al alloy the least. but I do see where you are going with this, I think in the future, for the Xray scanners in airport will use smart algorithm's to isolate potentially suspect shapes irrespective of material it's made from, so even if anyone is carrying a BB gun, prepare to be stopped at the airport.

Trust me, if someone has the determination to construct one of these he then has the motivation and resolve to use "creative" means to construct a make shift barrel... He only needs to fire 1 shot to prove his point.

I am not only concerned about Aviation security here.

Trust me, if someone has the determination to construct one of these he then has the motivation and resolve to use "creative" means to construct a make shift barrel... He only needs to fire 1 shot to prove his point.

I am not only concerned about Aviation security here.
you are right...
I was thinking about it, and I am afraid that there might be a very simple method of achieving this, by using a smooth bore barrel lined with silicon and rifled slug shotshell probably .410, Case pressure will be low, due to smothbore, the longitudinal stress along the barell will be minimal, and will work maybe even for multiple round at ranges upto 20 yards... all this with a polymer barrel

You'll see they'll outlaw 3d printed parts as soon as a lot of people start doing this....the corporations wont like it if people stop buying and start making the merchandise!

You'll see they'll outlaw 3d printed parts as soon as a lot of people start doing this....the corporations wont like it if people stop buying and start making the merchandise!

I'm calling it now, equipment needed for these printers will be placed on a a FBI bolo roster just like materials needed for IEDs.

They would not need to outlaw it, it still falls under present law which is one needs a license to manufacture firearms.

They would not need to outlaw it, it still falls under present law which is one needs a license to manufacture firearms.
only if you intend to sell it, If you do not have any monetary transaction, you dont need any paperwork to make one, in US

only if you intend to sell it, If you do not have any monetary transaction, you dont need any paperwork to make one, in US

For personal use one does not need a manufacturing license , but yes you do need to get an approval from ATF and pay excise tax on firearms as defined by NFA.

. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF
https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

Follow the rules buddy, we don't need you to get hauled away by ATF !!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom