What's new

3D Printed Guns

Reashot Xigwin

Reaction score
This is a Vice documentary about 3D printed guns.

3D Printed Guns (Documentary)

3D Printed Guns (Documentary) - YouTube

Cody R Wilson has figured out how to print a semi-automatic rifle from the comfort of his own home. Now he's putting all the information online so that others will join him.
--
This is a story about the rapid evolution of a technology that has forced the American legal system to play catch up. Cody Wilson, a 24 year old University of Texas Law student, is an advocate for the open source production of firearms using 3D printing technology. This makes him a highly controversial figure on both sides of the gun control issue. MOTHERBOARD sat down with Cody in Austin, Texas to talk about the constitution, the legal system, and to watch him make and test-fire a 3D-printed gun.

The man behind the 3D Gun Revolution

632px-Cody_Wilson.jpg

Cody Wilson

Cody Rutledge Wilson (born January 31, 1988) is an American crypto-anarchist and law student. He is best known as the founder and director of Defense Distributed, a non-profit organization that develops and publishes open source gun designs, so-called "Wiki Weapons," suitable for 3D printing. Wilson has been named one of the 15 most dangerous people in the world by Wired magazine.

(Taken from Wikipedia)

Link to DefDist youtube account :http://www.youtube.com/user/DXLiberty?feature=watch

DefCad website: http://defcad.org/

Welcome to the Future :azn:

A really interesting issue and something that I had never thought about. I believe that 3d printing will be available in every home eventually. It's inevitable that this technology will be made widely available and affordable to the masses. Issues about guns and gun control will definitely be around for quite sometime because of this. It's possible to make makeshift firearms already but this will make it available to anyone who doesn't have machining skills.

I should have never bought my mill, lathe, drill press and just waited for a 3D printer.

i am learning CAD as a part of my engineering program, never knew CAD to be so amazing, i mean you can make gun programs and print that out, wow

You don't just build equipment and stuff just because you have a 3D Printer plugged at home/office but you'll also need essential materials now that's the important aspect where are you going to find those materials.

You don't just build equipment and stuff just because you have a 3D Printer plugged at home/office but you'll also need essential materials now that's the important aspect where are you going to find those materials.

What specifically would you need that would be difficult to develop or obtain? I can already get my hands on pretty much any type of metal I wanted and in small enough quantities get it for free from machinist friends. And those are readily available to anyone by even looking online.

Aside from bullets, which would be problematic for most people.

What specifically would you need that would be difficult to develop or obtain? I can already get my hands on pretty much any type of metal I wanted and in small enough quantities get it for free from machinist friends. And those are readily available to anyone by even looking online.

Are you saying get material put all of it in 3D printer it melts and walah you get a ready made pistol/gun. No that is not the right process If you seen the program above there was a complete set up I am not saying it is not affordable to many..people have that sort of money but generally large number of people would not be able to do it as easily as told do you agree?

Are you saying get material put all of it in 3D printer it melts and walah you get a ready made pistol/gun. No that is not the right process If you seen the program above there was a complete set up I am not saying it is not affordable to many..people have that sort of money but generally large number of people would not be able to do it as easily as told do you agree?

I admittedly didn't watch the video and wasn't aware of the nuances. I thought it'd be similar to a CNC machine that can work with metal but I stand corrected. Perhaps there will be a day in which that sort of technology will be available. Who knows.

3D printers seem to vary a great deal in price. 3ders.org - price compare 3D printers I think it could be readily available. Why wouldn't it be able to be lower? I mean the the higher end models, of course. From what I've read, Chinese companies seem to be wanting to really push forward with this.

I remember my first computer being an Tandy 1000. Back then it was pretty expensive and I didn't know anyone who had one other than myself. Same thing with my 286, CDROM, etc. They were just the newest and latest things back then. Look at them now.

He is making parts of a gun not the whole gun......what the video showed him making are lower receivers and magazine containers.

its not possible to make a complete gun out of plastic kind materials it simply wont work unless there is printer that can make use of molten metal.

what can be done now is feed the moulded part in a cnc and make parts and assemble it and u have a gun.........which most probably every one is doing.

Me gonna download a minigun :guns:

LOL

The Mini-Gun
minigun.jpg

Holy ****, Really?

Quite possibly the most deadly infantry weapon ever designed. The M134 General Electric Minigun is an incredibly badass-looking gun with the capacity of firing up to one-hundred-and-sixty-six times per second. In case you haven't fully realized the power of that statement, allow us to illustrate it.

minigun2.jpg

We have no idea what this is, but it was one of the first results when we did a Google Image search for '166.' Just imagine these things are almost two hundred bullets heading towards your face every second.

Where Can I Get One?

Unfortunately, there are only something like eleven civilian-legal miniguns in the USA. Most of them are in private hands, but one occasionally comes back up on the market. The going rate for your average minigun is around $400,000. But that's not the only expense you'll have. The minigun will require an extensive mounting system. Contrary to what you have heard, firing one of these by yourself would lead to severe blunt trauma, and a huge machine gun shooting wildly into the air. It's also going to be expensive to feed: one second of firing the minigun will set you back about sixty bucks. That's $3600 for a full minute of shooting.

On the plus side, Bill Gates won't have to worry about muggers.

What Should I Do With Them?

If you're asking us this question, then you are obviously retardedly wealthy. We recommend purchasing a fleet of golden limousines, coating them in tannerite and then shooting them into flames with golden bullets. Firing this weapon for any length of time is an act of such ridiculous decadence that no other behavior you engage in will seem even the least bit indulgent.

minigun3.jpg

You can use this to hunt the dodos that live on your private island.

Holy Balls, Why is it Legal?

The National Firearms Act states that any fully automatic weapons constructed before 1986 are legal for a civilian possessing a Class 2 permit to own. The few miniguns that were on the market by then remained legal, and have been circulating around the country for years. No crimes have ever been reported committed by a minigun-wielding criminal, which might be because billionaires so rarely hold up 7-11's. So, until Ted Turner finally snaps, mounts a GE Minigun on his golden H2 and guns down a muffin kiosk, you can expect the 11 or so miniguns on the market to remain legal.

minigun4.jpg

one question i need to ask, how does he print bullets i mean he uses the plastic material for printing guns isnt it? and not metal? so if he uses gun powder with bullets isnt it gonna explode in the gun barrel?

one question i need to ask, how does he print bullets i mean he uses the plastic material for printing guns isnt it? and not metal? so if he uses gun powder with bullets isnt it gonna explode in the gun barrel?

watch the video. He bought the bullets online. Not to mention its a Post-Sandy Hook bullets

Back
Top Bottom