What's new

360 killed in terrorist blasts targeting Easter in Sri Lanka

@Nein @Avicenna @Desert Fox

Sri Lankan official says this is related to the NZ mosque attack. I really want to know are there people in our community who think like this? What did Sri Lankan people do to them? How in the world they think attacking worshippers in place of worship or civilian areas is Islamically justified ? We have no concept of revenge in Islam. Eye for eye is only for domestic crimes. And that was replaced with Sharia later on.

I refuse to accept this as 'revenge' and those misguided people are no heroes. And I agree with your post @Desert Fox , lots of Muslims aren't practicing and how illogical thought process. To think its okay to target innocent people who are not related to the NZ attack in any way.

My condolences to Sri Lankan people, they are good and educated people, met many of them in Saudi Arabia. This is sad to see and this is a despicable act.

I truely beleive this is a struggle between good people and bad people.

I believe in Islam.

However, I also believe most "muslims" out there have a weak understanding of their faith.

My reference point is being South Asian and growing up in the US amongst an educated family who was practicing the faith.

Having said this, I am often surprised at the level of irrational thinking and disbalance amongst my fellow muslims, whether educated or not.

I shudder to think about those who are non educated and prone to becoming "radicalized" when they commit these horrific acts.

I know its a hollywood movie, but the movie Syriana kind of echoes my thoughts in regards to these types of attacks.

Watch it again.

Specifically the South Asian man and his friend who commits the attack on the boat in the end.

And how this evolved from the start of the movie.

Its actually fairly well made.

My condolences as well to the people of Sri Lanka and all others who have been affected by this cycle of madness.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/sri-lanka-attacks-churches-hotels-dle-intl/index.html
US ambassador: We did not warn Sri Lanka about attacks

The US says it did not provide Sri Lanka with advance intelligence regarding imminent attacks prior to Easter Sunday, the US Ambassador to Sri Lanka Alaina Teplitz told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour Tuesday.

Has science, civilised humans???

Because the worst crimes in humanity was also done by science.

Fair share of awful crimes was done in the name of Islam I dont deny it. But I refuse to be treated as the scum of the due to what these terrorist scumbags do.

Us Muslims have a big problem with Muslim Terrorists May Allah give us the strength to defeat them.

Science has civilized humans
you need to visit medieval societies to see how much we have progressed

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/sri-lanka-attacks-churches-hotels-dle-intl/index.html

The US says it did not provide Sri Lanka with advance intelligence regarding imminent attacks prior to Easter Sunday, the US Ambassador to Sri Lanka Alaina Teplitz told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour Tuesday.

The victims of the Holocaust would beg to differ with you.

Science hasnt changed human nature.

How can he visit medieval societies? Is there some time machine?

Shirantha Rajapaksha
27 Comments
378 Shares

5.8K Views ·
58 minutes ago ·
Incident near wattala hendala temple.

2 guys have come in burkas.one with the big bag has escaped and while questioning this motherfucker has told that the plan was to hit the good shepherds convent nayakakanda.

And the news says there is a possible team of terrorists who are trained to break into houses cut and kill innocent people

This means a possible bomber is roaming free in wattala area.

As a person who lives in wattala im so scared and shocked and my wife is in tears.i never thought i will ever have to lock the door like this and wait with a knife on my hand ready for an emergency .I never wanted this life

Ps - dear muslims.please encourage your wife(s),sisters,aunties and mothers to refrain from wearing burkas in this situations.its a threat to the national security.

Not only Holocaust, but whole of the 20th century has an unparalleled record of human casualties and suffering. I have an inkling, that it would only be surpassed by the 21th century; though I wouldn't be here to witness it. Already above 60.

Not only Holocaust, but whole of the 20th century has an unparalleled record of human casualties and suffering. I have an inkling, that it would only be surpassed by the 21th century; though I wouldn't be here to witness it. Already above 60.

I agree with you.

It's a sobering thought.

Shirantha Rajapaksha
27 Comments
378 Shares

5.8K Views ·
58 minutes ago ·

2 guys have come in burkas.one with the big bag has escaped and while questioning this motherfucker has told that the plan was to hit the good shepherds convent nayakakanda.

And the news says there is a possible team of terrorists who are trained to break into houses cut and kill innocent people

As a person who lives in wattala im so scared and shocked and my wife is in tears.i never thought i will ever have to lock the door like this and wait with a knife on my hand ready for an emergency .I never wanted this life

Ps - dear muslims.please encourage your wife(s),sisters,aunties and mothers to refrain from wearing burkas in this situations.its a threat to the national security.

Dear Sir: Don't worry. Take all the necessary protections. I doubt that they will dare this much, to enter into peoples houses. I am sure, this difficult time will pass. May Allah protect you and all people of SL.

How can he visit medieval societies? Is there some time machine?

there is something called history, musuems, books etc
we can learn from those. at least that is the idea

For the first time in history Jews are living in society (USA) where they are not picked on for who they are

My absolute sympathies to the families, friends of victims and the people of Sri Lanka. The scenes are heartbreaking and I can imagine the pain is tremendous.

Pakistan and Pakistanis stand with you.

The Najdi fitna continues to spread its evil wings. The Sri Lankan government must engage with the local peaceful Muslim community to isolate and eliminate these radical elements.

Video released of the Sri Lanka attackers pledging allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

I don’t get it .
I’ve always been taught not to harm any innocent and if I did I’d be punished as if I’ve harmed all mankind and been taught suicide is haraam and a wicked wicked sin but these **** ups where do they get there version from .

I just don’t get it how can you be a Muslim and disobey Allahs command .

He (manlion) has completely mistranslated Tamil earlier in the thread too (to try attempt downplay the extremists words), this actually damages reputation and intent of the vast majority of peaceful regular muslims in the end given he says such extremists should not be split and dissociated from them and are just "preachers" one and the same.

He keeps posing as Tamil, but he cannot speak one word of it time and time again it has been proven (even confusing other south indian languages for it and falling into tons of traps of his own doing when spam posting videos given he can read the english title, but doesnt understand the content at all).

I wish administration just perma bans this guy, he has broken the rules so many times (consistently posing as something he is clearly not, and using that for agenda to hurt every community in various ways).

His whole idea here is religion/cultural bait + troll.

@waz @AgNoStiC MuSliM

I have seen many members being banned for far lesser crimes. This man does not identify who he is and where he is from. I am completely fine with having a LTTE supporter in this forum. Because I can converse and debate in a civilized manner. I have argued with many TN based guys who supported LTTE. But those arguments were based on facts and completely different with this manlion guy. He brings complete untruths, propaganda sites but never debate on those things. He just trolls. He changes the goal posts and continue. I wonder how he became the blue eyed boy here.

This was an atrocious attack, and loss of human life is truly sad. I am not one for conspiracy theories but there seems to be something amiss here.

1- There was substantial threat warning, it was discussed in the security council meeting headed by the President. PM claims that he or members of his cabinet did not knew about it. PM and his cabinet stated that they are clueless about the identity or motives of the attackers. Within an hour or two, two of the names were shown on the media, what was the source of those names?
2- A foreign intelligence agency was the one that provided the information about a possible attack. Now the important question is which country's intelligence agency, US/UK, India or Israel.
3- How did an almost non-existent group with some very murky goals was able to pull such a well planned and executed operation right under the noses of Sri Lankan security apparatus.
4- The PM had suggested on the same day that this attack could lead to a coup attempt, by whom? The president and opposition supported by the Security Establishment, may be.
5- Sri Lankans are already stating that the operation was planned and executed from a foreign country. Any candidates.
6- Social Media was effectively clamped down to stop spread of further rumours or fake news, which could further complicate the situation. Its of prime importance which office took the decision to clampdown social media, was it from the Presidents office or PM. (Most pivotal decision in my opinion)

On a side note, Sri Lankans are being very cautious to make any kind of claims, as we have not heard the usual suspects ISIS or its affiliated groups taking any responsibility, which usually they do within hours of any such attack. Again the group being blamed had little to no foot print before this atrocity. The lofty stated goals of that group are staunch anti-Buddhist actions in a country of over 75% buddhists.

Militant Sinhalese Buddhism was one of the main cause that lead to the 30 years civil war in Sri Lanka, before LTTE came to be a force to reckon with, there were decades of oppression against the Tamil minority lead by the Buddhist clergy. Even after successful elimination of LTTE, the extremist Buddhists were allowed to rein freely, hence several riots, this time targeting Muslims and christians.

Now the most important question is who is to benefit from these attacks? Muslims or Christians, not at all. The minorities were already under threat, and this issue will effectively further a wedge between the two, if the both religious and political leadership of two communities dont take proactive steps to minimise the inflamed feelings.

After looking at the limited information available in public domain, and selection of targets (churches and hotels), I am more inclined to believe that this could have been a false flag operation orchestrated from within Sri Lanka with the help of an external partner or partners to destabilise the country, create racial riots and effectively target Tourists, at the same time pit two already marginalised minorities against each other. For the time being the situation is tense but still under control, and one the decisions that played a pivotal role in this was to social media outage enforced by the government. This might have effectively thwarted any plans for riots or further planned social upheaval, but its still too early to say anything.

Who is to benefit from this? Those expecting to benefit are within Sri Lanka.

My condolences to the people of Sri Lanka, no human being should be killed in such a horrific manner while performing their religious duties and I hope the sanity prevails.

1. There is no source that said it was discussed in the security meeting headed by the president. Infact the people in SL are wondering whether gov ever had a security meeting at all. It was an indian media that first leaked the news. And a certan islamaphobic newsite did leak it locally. It was based on an internal memo that talked about this threat.
2. Indian media says Indian foreign agencies. The Hindu reported, Indians had arrested a member of an islamic radical group and he spilled the beans.
3. The group was not non existant. There were news about this group in SL and SL Muslims themselves had warned about this group. The group members even involved in a sword attack against another Muslim group.
4. Where did PM say something like that?
5. No. Sri Lankan government has said there is no evidence for involvement of a foreign country. What they said was they still don't rule out support from outside.
6. Stupid move. Those who really want to go install a proxy and get that done.

ISIS have already taken responsibility for that. They even celebrated attacks on churches. Sri Lankan government have declared the local group, National Thowheed Jamath as the perpetrators of the crime. They have already arrested some of its members.

There is nothing called militant Sinhala Buddhism. There were two occasions, where Sinhalese youth took to militancy and that was in 71 and 88-89, where both instances were against the government and based on Marxist ideologies. There was no decades of oppression against the Tamil minority. The Sinhala-Tamil conflict comes from the British colonial period and Tamil separatism started way before SL gained independence. Tamil Separatism is not a result of alleged oppression but their perception that they are culturally, religiously and linguistically distinct from the Sinhalese and have a right to secede as a different nation. Oppression is not always necessary for separatism. Sri Lankan government reacted and responded to rising Tamil Nationalism which was fueled from politics in TN in an extremely stupid and irresponsible manner. The gov tried to sort of Sinhalise Tamils to control Tamil nationalism and then sh1t hit the fan. Even after elimination of LTTE, there was widespread Islamophobia in the country. Are Islamophobic attacks in Europe and rest of the world fueled by militant Buddhists? Just like every other country, there was an islamophobic wave in SL and SLG struggled hard to contain it.

Christians always identified with their ethnicity whether it is Sinhala, Tamil or Burgher. And they follow politics together with their Buddhist and Hindu counterparts. Christians are not a separate polity in Sri Lanka like Muslims.

Are you saying we Sri Lankans orchestrated this within SL to kill our people and pit Muslims and Christians against each other? What are you smoking? You must have met @Azizam a Christian from SL in this forum who was banned for his criticism on Islam and Muslims. In Sri Lanka Islamaphobia is prevalent among Buddhists, Christians and Hindus. It is not minority persecution.
This attack has taken back Sri Lanka 10 years back. In 2019, Sri Lanka recorded exponential growth in its tourism industry and there is an idiot telling me Sri Lanka orchestrated this. I dont know what your country is. But in my country irrespective of religion Sinhalese do mix, marry each other and you will find both in the same family.

Your condolences mean nothing when you have stated Sri Lanka orchestrated this to pit their own people against each other.

I can vote GR but if MR wants it he needs to promise that f*cker Bathiudeen is not even going to be considered to be taken into the government.
If that bastard didn't cover up past attacks by then the bombers would have been in jail well before this. He kept one of the terrorists at his right hand and now he can't even answer the questions of the media.
The bastard is the worst of traitors and shouldn't be allowed to escape this
What GR men, you are a Ranil slave....vote him ...serve your master

Thanks for the info.

Has there been any official statement regarding who was responsible for this attack by the authorities of Sri Lanka? I am unable to find any updates.

SL has already stated a home grown Islamic extremist org is involved in it.

And the media attacks against Muslims have begun.

It is not surprising to me that the vast majority of Sri Lankan posters are already blaming Muslims.

Some Pakistanis are shocked. They should not be. You are confused and you mistake national alliances with religious ones. Sri Lanka, like Myanmar, will not become anti Pakistan. But they are in the process of becoming anti Muslim. And patriotic Pakistanis will still cheer them because hey, at least they are not fully in the pro Indian camp.

The othering of Muslims is on in Sri Lanka. Unlike Tamils, SL Muslims are far fewer in number and donot occupy a significant territory. They will face worse times. This will naturally lead to resistance. The govt will call it terrorism and the cycle will continue till Muslims are totally marginalized.
This is the Myanmar formula at play here. Muslims hardly exist there now. Their influence, history and culture has largely ceased to exist.

Isnt it expected? It is natural for average man to be suspicious of Muslims around after this vicious attacks. Terrible but reality.

Yes, I understand. But, you see, on the forum of the kind, on which we all are communicating, all sorts and kinds of people participate, with different views and perspectives. Still, I feel, that at least, we shall refrain from using abusive language, against a fellow poster; no matter, how absurd, ridiculous or obnoxious, his opinion may appear to us.

I am fine even if there is an LTTE supporter. I am ready to converse, argue and present facts as a member. This man does nothing of the sort you list here. He simply trolls with half truths and change goal posts when questioned. I wonder what sort of conversation one can participate with such trolls.

Shirantha Rajapaksha
27 Comments
378 Shares

5.8K Views ·
58 minutes ago ·

Is this true? I am really alarmed by this. If true this is dangerous and still dangerous if false, specially to Muslim women who wear it.

Back
Top Bottom