What's new

29 wind power stations almost ready for production

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The government is in process of implementing around 29 different wind power projects as per its plan to enhance power production in the country.

Among these projects, two wind power projects with capacity of 106.4 MW have achieved commercial operation and are supplying electricity to national grid.

Besides, three projects, having a cumulative capacity of 150 MW, have achieved financial close and are under construction. These projects are expected to achieve Commercial Operation Date (COD) during this year.

According to the ministry of water and power sources, six wind power projects with a cumulative capacity of 330 MW are close to achieving the project financial closing. The expected COD dates for these projects are in 2015.

Additionally, 11 wind power projects with a cumulative capacity of 550 MW may also achieve COD by second quarter of 2016, provided the tariff is made available timely while 12 wind power projects with cumulative capacity of 789 MW are at different stages of implementation.

29 wind power stations almost ready for production | Pakistan Today

Such small projects can do great deal in minimizing the power shortage in Pakistan. I believe that more and more such projrects should be initiated by joining hands with the private sector.

Advances in wind turbine design have brought down investment costs substantially. Provided there is sufficient wind speed most of the time; wind energy is now becoming economically viable.

Recently I came across news that Siemen’s 6 MW SW3.6.120 Wind Turbine is undergoing production trials. Apparently Siemens have signed an agreement with DONG Energy UK for 1.8 Gigawatt projects worth approx. 3-billion Euros. This makes capital cost for wind generated electricity at $2.2-million per MW.

It would be interesting to know actual cost of these projects in Pakistan.

Advances in wind turbine design have brought down investment costs substantially. Provided there is sufficient wind speed most of the time; wind energy is now becoming economically viable.

Recently I came across news that Siemen’s 6 MW SW3.6.120 Wind Turbine is undergoing production trials. Apparently Siemens have signed an agreement with DONG Energy UK for 1.8 Gigawatt projects worth approx. 3-billion Euros. This makes capital cost for wind generated electricity at $2.2-million per MW.

It would be interesting to know actual cost of these projects in Pakistan.

Example of Jhampir Wind Power Project

Total Capacity 56.4MW
Total Cost 143Million $

Cost per MW 2.5Million

Beside this Some Pakistani firm are not capable of Manufacturing Wind turbines with capacity to produce 1.5mw and even more under JV's from International firms

Jhimpir Wind Power Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Such small projects can do great deal in minimizing the power shortage in Pakistan. I believe that more and more such projrects should be initiated by joining hands with the private sector.

Before we consider setting up more wind mills in Pakistan, we should consider the case studies of other countries where there is great protest and antagonism against the wind mills, such as Canada. Just to be on the safe side.

The government is in process of implementing around 29 different wind power projects as per its plan to enhance power production in the country.

Among these projects, two wind power projects with capacity of 106.4 MW have achieved commercial operation and are supplying electricity to national grid.

Besides, three projects, having a cumulative capacity of 150 MW, have achieved financial close and are under construction. These projects are expected to achieve Commercial Operation Date (COD) during this year.

According to the ministry of water and power sources, six wind power projects with a cumulative capacity of 330 MW are close to achieving the project financial closing. The expected COD dates for these projects are in 2015.

Additionally, 11 wind power projects with a cumulative capacity of 550 MW may also achieve COD by second quarter of 2016, provided the tariff is made available timely while 12 wind power projects with cumulative capacity of 789 MW are at different stages of implementation.

29 wind power stations almost ready for production | Pakistan Today

Wind Power is good. The government ought to consider feasibility and environmental studies as well. This includes noise pollution, landscape alteration, and effects on environment, animals, birds, and people.

There are places around the world where wind power has been successful but have faced great opposition from local populace including farmers.

Last edited:
Too small damn at least 300 or 500 MW :( still something better then nothing

Where is Pakistan importing these wind turbines from??

For the Jhampir Wind Power Project,They were imported from denmark..

Other than this

*HIT
*SZABIST
*KSEW

and few other private firm manufacture them within Pakistan.But i believe the one manufacture by HIT under JV i believe is of highest quality and capacity.

For the Jhampir Wind Power Project,They were imported from denmark..

Other than this

*HIT
*SZABIST
*KSEW

and few other private firm manufacture them within Pakistan.But i believe the one manufacture by HIT under JV i believe is of highest quality and capacity.
Is there any policy framework in Pakistan specifically for wind power like India has one for solar and wind power or is it just random capacity expansion here and there. Seems like Pakistan is aggressive about wind power.

Is there any policy framework in Pakistan specifically for wind power like India has one for solar and wind power or is it just random capacity expansion here and there. Seems like Pakistan is aggressive about wind power.
There is a defined policy for promoting alternative sources of power specifically for rural areas.

Back
Top Bottom