What's new

22 months after Col died fighting terrorists, wife becomes Army officer

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: Twenty-two months after Colonel Santosh Mahadik died fighting terrorists in J&K's Kupwara forests near the Line of Control on November 17, 2015, his widow Swati Mahadik on Saturday became an Army officer after 11 months of gruelling training at Chennai-based Officers Training Academy (OTA).

Like her husband, Swati is also a true example of grit and courage. The mother of two children, daughter Kartikee (12) and son Swaraj (6), Swati drew inspiration from her husband's olive green uniform. "Colonel Mahadik had been proud of his olive green uniform. Since November 2015, his uniform hung desolately in our house. That was when I vowed that I had to bring the uniform alive," she told TOI.

Swati had already crossed the upper age limit for entering the Army and it was only after the force and defence ministry relaxed the age limit for her that she could initiate her new career goals. After clearing the SSB examination in 2016, she underwent several rounds of physical fitness and medical examinations as part of the five-tiered selection process. Only after such a rigorous selection process, she was selected to join OTA.

The 38-year-old who had joined the academy as the non-technical course for women cadets will serve in the Pune-based Army Ordnance Corps. Swati said, "I wanted to be with Santosh therefore I joined the Indian Army. Now, I feel happy and satisfied." An emotional Swati, after the passing-out parade, said, "My family supported me and my children a lot during the tough time. My children are happy that I have become an Army officer like their father."

Mahadik, 39, was an officer from the Army's elite 21 Para Special forces and according to his colleagues, he was known for always leading from the front. The commanding officer of 41 Rashtriya Rifles (Maratha Light Infantry) won a Sena Medal in Assam for 'Op Rhino' in 2003. The Colonel, the son of a tailor from Satara, was more than a brave soldier. He worked hard to revive tourism in terrorism-affected Kupwara. He sent youths on tours to Jaipur's Choki Dhani and Rishikesh to learn about village tourism and white-river rafting. "Despite terror activities in Kupwara, he wanted to beautify the region. He wanted to make youth self-reliant and self-dependent," Swati told TOI. The Colonel would personally counsel ex-militants and show them the path to a new life. He was a champion boxer, manic runner and football goalkeeper in his school days and had also trained star cricketer MS Dhoni in paragliding.

Nidhi Dubey, the widow of another soldier, who joined the Army along with Swati, told TOI, "Swati is a hard working and dedicated woman."
Swati has become the Army officer a day after the force, under new defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman, gave finishing touches to a plan to induct 800 women in the military police. "If I become a Colonel like my husband one day, it would be great. But my immediate focus is to learn new things under the guidance of my superiors."

Martyrs’ widows turn officers to begin new life
Widows of two soldiers who died in the line of duty, turned a new leaf in their lives by becoming officers themselves.
india Updated: Sep 09, 2017 22:05 IST
rmspp2015-kTDG-U102120092547NY-250x250%40HT-Web.jpg

Rahul Singh
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
_cddabe66-9572-11e7-b219-301a51d93d0d.jpg

Lieutenant Swati Mahadik and Lieutenant Nidhi Dubey, widows of martyrs who became officers themselves on Saturday.(HT PHOTO)
Three hundred and twenty-two cadets passed out of Chennai-based Officers’ Training Academy as new lieutenants on Saturday. But two of them were extra special.

What sets Lieutenants Swati Mahadik and Nidhi Dubey apart is that they are widows of soldiers who died on duty. Swati lost her husband, Colonel Santosh Mahadik, in an anti-terror operation in Kashmir in 2015. Nidhi’s husband, Naik Mukesh Kumar Dubey, died in service in 2008.

Colonel Mahadik was posthumously awarded the Shaurya Chakra – India’s third-highest peacetime gallantry award - for spectacular bravery that saved the lives of several men under his charge.

“It’s a mixed feeling. I wish I could go back to my old life with Santosh around. But that’s not possible. So I tell myself donning the uniform is the easiest way for me to be close to him,” Swati told HT from Chennai.

The first thing she did after the passing out parade was to take her children, Kartikee (12) and Swaraj (7), out for a meal. “I wanted to spend time with the kids. They said I reminded them of their father in the uniform,” said the 38-year-old.

_530bc454-9573-11e7-b219-301a51d93d0d.jpg

Lieutenant Swati Madhok with her two children. (HT PHOTO)
Nidhi Dubey is 32. Cadets join the academy in the 20 to 25 age group, but rules are relaxed for army widows.

Lieutenant Dubey’s brother, Neelesh Mishra, hoped his sister would inspire army widows who think life is over for them after losing their husbands.

“Look at Nidhi, she’s an officer now. For us, nothing can be more inspiring,” Mishra said.

An exhaustive account of Colonel Mahadik’s courage has been documented in India’s Most Fearless, an upcoming book from Penguin authored by this correspondent and news website Livefist editor-in-chief Shiv Aroor.

In the book, Major Pravin Kumar, who was part of the operation with Colonel Mahadik, reveals details of the mission hitherto unknown.

“While Col Mahadik was being airlifted to Srinagar, I received a call from his wife. She had already heard,” remembers Major Kumar, then adjutant at 41 Rashtriya Rifles headquarters. “Her question still haunts me: ‘Zinda rahenge ya nahi rahenge? Bas itna bata do’ (Will he live or not? Just tell me that).”

“She called again a short while later. This time, she asked me how many rounds had hit her husband. I mustered my strength to inform her that he had taken 7 bullets. She hung up the phone.”

“The 40-km runs can be very difficult. I couldn’t cope with the training initially. But then I would think of Santosh’s sacrifice and get inspired, and my course-mates were very supportive too,” said Swati, recalling how a buddy lady cadet would massage her feet after cross-country runs.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...in-new-life/story-16FzbvmEV6hsXCmFvEcZYO.html
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...in-new-life/story-16FzbvmEV6hsXCmFvEcZYO.html
@Levina @Stephen Cohen @Abingdonboy @kaykay @Grevion @Water Car Engineer @gslv @Dash @nair

Martyrs’ widows turn officers to begin new life
Widows of two soldiers who died in the line of duty, turned a new leaf in their lives by becoming officers themselves.
india Updated: Sep 09, 2017 22:05 IST
rmspp2015-kTDG-U102120092547NY-250x250%40HT-Web.jpg

Rahul Singh
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
_cddabe66-9572-11e7-b219-301a51d93d0d.jpg

Lieutenant Swati Mahadik and Lieutenant Nidhi Dubey, widows of martyrs who became officers themselves on Saturday.(HT PHOTO)
Three hundred and twenty-two cadets passed out of Chennai-based Officers’ Training Academy as new lieutenants on Saturday. But two of them were extra special.

What sets Lieutenants Swati Mahadik and Nidhi Dubey apart is that they are widows of soldiers who died on duty. Swati lost her husband, Colonel Santosh Mahadik, in an anti-terror operation in Kashmir in 2015. Nidhi’s husband, Naik Mukesh Kumar Dubey, died in service in 2008.

Colonel Mahadik was posthumously awarded the Shaurya Chakra – India’s third-highest peacetime gallantry award - for spectacular bravery that saved the lives of several men under his charge.

“It’s a mixed feeling. I wish I could go back to my old life with Santosh around. But that’s not possible. So I tell myself donning the uniform is the easiest way for me to be close to him,” Swati told HT from Chennai.

The first thing she did after the passing out parade was to take her children, Kartikee (12) and Swaraj (7), out for a meal. “I wanted to spend time with the kids. They said I reminded them of their father in the uniform,” said the 38-year-old.

_530bc454-9573-11e7-b219-301a51d93d0d.jpg

Lieutenant Swati Madhok with her two children. (HT PHOTO)
Nidhi Dubey is 32. Cadets join the academy in the 20 to 25 age group, but rules are relaxed for army widows.

Lieutenant Dubey’s brother, Neelesh Mishra, hoped his sister would inspire army widows who think life is over for them after losing their husbands.

“Look at Nidhi, she’s an officer now. For us, nothing can be more inspiring,” Mishra said.

An exhaustive account of Colonel Mahadik’s courage has been documented in India’s Most Fearless, an upcoming book from Penguin authored by this correspondent and news website Livefist editor-in-chief Shiv Aroor.

In the book, Major Pravin Kumar, who was part of the operation with Colonel Mahadik, reveals details of the mission hitherto unknown.

“While Col Mahadik was being airlifted to Srinagar, I received a call from his wife. She had already heard,” remembers Major Kumar, then adjutant at 41 Rashtriya Rifles headquarters. “Her question still haunts me: ‘Zinda rahenge ya nahi rahenge? Bas itna bata do’ (Will he live or not? Just tell me that).”

“She called again a short while later. This time, she asked me how many rounds had hit her husband. I mustered my strength to inform her that he had taken 7 bullets. She hung up the phone.”

“The 40-km runs can be very difficult. I couldn’t cope with the training initially. But then I would think of Santosh’s sacrifice and get inspired, and my course-mates were very supportive too,” said Swati, recalling how a buddy lady cadet would massage her feet after cross-country runs.
@Levina @Stephen Cohen @Abingdonboy @kaykay @Grevion @Water Car Engineer @gslv @Dash @nair

They are an inspiration for other women. :tup:

When going gets tough, the tough get going!

God bless her.

She is brave and thoroughly professional. The courage she shows to carry the family and country is flattering.

What are the SOPs/laws for induction, age limit & health conditions?
Apparently, seems regulations have been waived because she is definitely over the age for a military duty.
A martyr's family can be compensated in other ways.

Last edited:
What are the SOPs and laws for induction...age limit, health conditions..
Apparently, seems everything has been compromised.
A martyr's family can be compensated in other ways.
That's the uniform of a Second Leutnant (yeah, I know the spelling).
She is not 'given' the same post her husband had. She has joined like any other inductee.

That's the uniform of a Second Leutnant (yeah, I know the spelling).
She is not 'given' the same post her husband had. She has joined like any other inductee.
Well to become a 2nd lieutenant in PA, recruits have to go through a rigorous training at military academy. Apparently, she seems to be over the age (but of course, I have no idea about IA's age limit) and its seems a waiver on that has been made just to accommodate a martyr's wife.

Well to become a 2nd lieutenant in PA, recruits have to go through a rigorous training at military academy. Apparently, she seems to be over the age (but of course, I have no idea about IA's age limit) and its seems a waiver on that has been made just to accommodate a martyr's wife.
Same here. We follow the same rules. The age limit - that does seem to be relaxed (from the picture), but I don't know about that for sure.

Same here. We follow the same rules. The age limit - that does seem to be relaxed (from the picture), but I don't know about that for sure.
Has she been inducted for a non-combatant role? I mean like for some admin duties. In addition to age, she is mother with two kids.

They are an inspiration for other women. :tup:

When going gets tough, the tough get going!
She was to old to be leiutanent. Is there a specific quota for died security personnel family or you have relaxation of age.
Here in Pakistan Short Service Commission has maximum age limit is 28 years.

There was a significant relaxation made in the age limit to get her in, but she was then made to go through the same routine as other, younger trainees.

Has she been inducted for a non-combatant role? I mean like for some admin duties. In addition to age, she is mother with two kids.

You are right, again. Army Ordnance Corps, out of Pune.

She was to old to be leiutanent. Is there a specific quota for died security personnel family or you have relaxation of age.
Here in Pakistan Short Service Commission has maximum age limit is 28 years.

Apparently there seems to be some difference in the induction process in PA and IA though I used to think that they would have pretty similar traditions as both inherited from the British. I don't remember any wife of a martyr given a commission in PA though they are taken care of since there are some written and unwritten traditions. Though it is normal that son/daughter and even younger siblings of a martyr join PA but from my personal experience (my father is an ex-PAF officer, my uncle is a serving high ranking army officer, three of my cousins are in military service but I failed the medical test and that's it. No waiver nothing). And I heard that PA guys are even more stringent.
But it is their country, their rules.. I think the decision might be motivated by reasons like morale boosting and PR since IA has been under criticism by its soldiers who have been using social media to get their voices heard.
Anyway best of luck to her and I hope it is good for her and her children.

Apparently there seems to be some difference in the induction process in PA and IA though I used to think that they would have pretty similar traditions as both inherited from the British. I don't remember any wife of a martyr given a commission in PA though they are taken care of since there are some written and unwritten traditions. Though it is normal that son/daughter and even younger siblings of a martyr join PA but from my personal experience (my father is an ex-PAF officer, my uncle is a serving high ranking army officer, three of my cousins are in military service but I failed the medical test and that's it. No waiver nothing). And I heard that PA guys are even more stringent.
But it is their country, their rules.. I think the decision might be motivated by reasons like morale boosting and PR since IA has been under criticism by its soldiers who have been using social media to get their voices heard.
Anyway best of luck to her and I hope it is good for her and her children.
Well said. But if they provide widows easier jobs like banks and other government organisations will be more beneficial for them. I heard a lot regarding gender inequality and harassment from male counter part in Indian military.

Back
Top Bottom