What's new

2 Indian peacekeepers injured in attack on UN base in South Sudan

Daedalus

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Two Indian peacekeepers have been injured in a “deadly and unprovoked” attack by a mob of armed men on civilians sheltering inside a UN base in the war-ravaged town of Bor in South Sudan.

The Indian peacekeepers were protecting about 5000 internally displaced persons, who had taken shelter at the UN base in Bor, the capital of Jonglei state, when the “well-armed” members of the Dinka ethnic group yesterday attacked the base in the world’s newest nation.

The assailants came “under the guise of peaceful demonstrators” intending to present a petition to the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS).

They forced their way into the facility and opened fire on the displaced persons sheltering inside.

The UN mission said the “violent” attack happened despite repeated warning shots fired by UNMISS peacekeepers.

The two Indian peacekeepers “sustained injuries repelling the mob.”

Dozens of internally displaced persons were wounded in the attack. At least 15 attackers were killed and there were reports of 40 civilian casualties.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon strongly condemned the attack and the Indian side asked the Security Council to ensure a political settlement to the escalating tensions in the troubled nation.

The Indian side stressed that it is continuing to call on the powerful Security Council to ensure a political settlement to the dispute in the world’s youngest nation and to ensure that innocent civilians are not exposed to such dangers.

Indian soldiers continue to provide shelter and critical medical assistance to displaced civilians in the midst of escalating violence in South Sudan.

In an attack in April last year, five Indian UNMISS peacekeepers were killed when they were ambushed by about 200 attackers near Jonglei State.

Two UNMISS Indian Battalion troops were killed in action and one was injured on December 19 in Akobo following an assault on a UNMISS base.

The UN Chief strongly condemned the attack, saying the attack on a location where civilians are being protected by the United Nations is a “serious escalation.”

A statement issued by Ban’s spokesperson said any attack on peacekeepers is “unacceptable and constitutes a war crime.”

“The Secretary-General expresses his condolences to the bereaved families and pledges all possible support to those wounded in this attack,” the statement added.

Mr. Ban called on the South Sudan government to take immediate steps to ensure the safety of all the Mission’s civilian protection sites throughout the country.

The UN chief also urged all parties to refrain from any actions or statements that could further escalate the situation.

“UNMISS emphasizes the primary responsibility of South Sudanese to protect all its population and to maintain public order,” the mission said in a statement.

The mission called on the authorities and forces to protect all civilians, to ensure that the inviolability of UN premises is protected, and to take effective measures to prevent a recurrence of such attacks.

“UNMISS calls on all displaced persons sheltering in its bases to remain calm, exercise restraint, strictly respect the ground rules governing their stay in the camps and desist from any actions that may provoke violence,” the statement said.

The violence that has swept South Sudan since mid—December 2013 has left thousands dead and forced around a million people to flee their homes after fighting broke out in the capital, Juba, between soldiers loyal to President Salva Kiir and forces who sided with former vice-president Riek Machar.

The violence has forced more than 1 million people in South Sudan to flee their homes. The planting season is under way but few are farming.

Four months into the conflict, UNMISS is hosting some 67,000 civilians at its bases.

2 Indian peacekeepers injured in attack on UN base in South Sudan - The Hindu

call them back. We cannot send our soldiers to die every where.
They die in Kashmir, Assam, Naxal areas... just because they are told to follow protocols dealing with enemy.

They die in Kashmir, Assam, Naxal areas... just because they are told to follow protocols dealing with enemy.

All soldiers sent to UN missions are volunteers and chose to go to help those countries and needless to say, they do an important job there.

I am proud that our men do their share in making the world a little bit better and safer.

All soldiers sent to UN missions are volunteers and chose to go to help those countries and needless to say, they do an important job there.

I am proud that our men do their share in making the world a little bit better and safer.

And it is my choice not be proud because, because it is a diplomacy stunt to keep UN happy in Kashmir. Every time diplomacy does not work. We spend billion of dollars in Kashmir, which you can get as a pay, just for security. This Kashmir has created a lot of trouble for us. Once for all this must be resolved. If I was somwhere in the center, for me my soldiers life would be more important, not to die in stupid places like Sudan, Kashmir just for some political vested interest.

Get Well Soon Soldiers.
58hzg.gif

And it is my choice not be proud because, because it is a diplomacy stunt to keep UN happy in Kashmir. Every time diplomacy does not work. We spend billion of dollars in Kashmir, which you can get as a pay, just for security. This Kashmir has created a lot of trouble for us. Once for all this must be resolved. If I was somwhere in the center, for me my soldiers life would be more important, not to die in stupid places like Sudan, Kashmir just for some political vested interest.

Thats not my point... Kashmir is not connected to the peacekeepers over there. I am proud for their actions there. Besides, active involvement in peacekeeping has been part of the Indian foreign policies of both major parties.

Thats not my point... Kashmir is not connected to the peacekeepers over there. I am proud for their actions there. Besides, active involvement in peacekeeping has been part of the Indian foreign policies of both major parties.

Thats why I said, peacekeeping force is a diplomacy to keep UN happy in Kashmir.

Call them back. End this crazy 'africa stabilization' mission. For decades, billions have gone into Africa, with our men dying and the benefits are reaped by rich European and American corporates using UN as a means to channel power. What has that gotten our folks? Nothing.

If some countries' Africans don't want to develop and progress then why should we waste our precious troops on them?

Okay we have a goodwill with some friendly countries in Africa, but then we should follow a bilateral initiative, directly dealing with those governments on a country-to-country basis rather than being the west's footsoldiers.

Thats why I said, peacekeeping force is a diplomacy to keep UN happy in Kashmir.

UN can't do shit in kashmir. They just don't have the guts to. Gone is that time when it could raise the temperatures of peace there and create havoc because we are not the India of 1950s.

If they meddle, we also have means to make it very difficult for them including having strong friends in the UN itself.

UN can't do shit in kashmir. They just don't have the guts to. Gone is that time when it could raise the temperatures of peace there and create havoc because we are not the India of 1950s.

If they meddle, we also have means to make it very difficult for them including having strong friends in the UN itself.

Then we should do a bilateral arrangement for such initiatives where the benefits are coming to India and Indian companies. Why should our folks die for some bloody De Beers or whatever?

Then we should do a bilateral arrangement for such initiatives where the benefits are coming to India and Indian companies. Why should our folks die for some bloody De Beers or whatever?
Indian companies are already active in countries like Sudan, and once again, each and every peacekeeper goes because he wants to!

Indian companies are already active in countries like Sudan, and once again, each and every peacekeeper goes because he wants to!

Well, the UN service is an option that is offered and rosters for deployment are set as per the requirements. It is not really something that someone wants to. Though there are times when many soldiers choose to go to UN posting because the UN pays higher (same reason why Bangladesh has the highest contribution in UNPKF), but many times they are also drafted.

Indian companies are active but not to the extent of what western and Chinese firms are. We should engage in such deals bilaterally so as to ensure the strategic gains that India makes.

The IA is not in the Naxal areas but point taken.

IA is more than happy to serve in UN, they get paid much higher salary and condition is generally better than service in kashmir or NE.

Who said that? If that was a fact, then in Kargil our soldiers would have crossed LOC and took them down from behind the line. UN can do a lot here. You are not a UNSC member yet, you have less influence.

IA is more than happy to serve in UN, they get paid much higher salary and condition is generally better than service in kashmir or NE.
They get FAs I know that.

The IA is not in the Naxal areas but point taken.
Point is about soldiers.

Call them back. End this crazy 'africa stabilization' mission. For decades, billions have gone into Africa, with our men dying and the benefits are reaped by rich European and American corporates using UN as a means to channel power. What has that gotten our folks? Nothing.

If some countries' Africans don't want to develop and progress then why should we waste our precious troops on them?

Okay we have a goodwill with some friendly countries in Africa, but then we should follow a bilateral initiative, directly dealing with those governments on a country-to-country basis rather than being the west's footsoldiers.

Rather China has more presence there. If Govt is sending soldiers then please invest and reap minerals from there.

Last edited:
Who said that? If that was a fact, then in Kargil our soldiers would have crossed LOC and took them down from behind the line. UN can do a lot here. You are not a UNSC member yet, you have less influence.

India is too big. Tell me one big country that UN has been able to interfere. The Kargil issue was more than 15 years ago. I am talking about the India that is today. Today UN cannot do shit. And as the days pass, BRICS countries are becoming more and more powerful.

Rather China has more presence there. If Govt is sending soldiers then please invest and reap minerals from there.

The sodiers serving under UN peacekeeping forces get paid very highly - a lot more than they get paid by the GoI. That is why many of them are eager to go.

Back
Top Bottom