What's new

15 Pakistanis detained in south Thailand as terror suspects

brahmastra

Reaction score
Police have detained 15 Pakistanis in Thailand's insurgency-hit southern border province of Yala on suspicion of being linked to international terrorists. The group, which was reportedly in the Muslim-majority region to raise money for flood victims in Pakistan, was detained after authorities noted overseas money transfers by them to international terror suspects, reported UNI. According to police, a local bank employee reported that the Pakistan nationals had transferred money to a person abroad who is listed in the bank's official database as having links with a foreign terror group.

A police force raided the Yala My House hotel in the province yesterday where the men were staying in four rooms.

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-ne...error-suspects

BANGKOK: Police in Thailand said Wednesday they had arrested 15 Pakistani nationals involved in suspicious fundraising activity and were investigating possible links to a terrorist organisation.

A bank in the southern province of Yala alerted authorities after one of the suspects tried to transfer money to a person in Pakistan on a blacklist “related to a terrorist group”, said Police Colonel Piyawat Chalermsri.

The detainees, who have been charged with working illegally, said they came to Thailand in September to raise funds to help flood victims in Pakistan.

“We haven't found any link or evidence related to terrorism yet but as this area is very sensitive we will investigate further,” said Piyawat.

Authorities did not say to whom the suspects were trying to send the funds.

They were being held at a police station in Yala in Thailand's Muslim-majority deep south, where a raging insurgency has left more than 4,300 people dead in the past six years.

DAWN.COM | World | Thai police hold 15 Pakistanis, probe possible terror link

If proven to be true, this will be another blow to Pakistan's international image. Hope it is just a mix-up, it will really be the last straw-especially because it is connected to the flood relief efforts.

If proven to be true, this will be another blow to Pakistan's international image. Hope it is just a mix-up, it will really be the last straw-especially because it is connected to the flood relief efforts.
Nobody named the person to whom money was sent....

Poor guys.. I think they are just paying the price of a bad reputation. Dont think there is any real terror link here. If it was, they wouldnt have transfered money so blatantly.. Probably sending money over in response to the appeals of the likes of JuD which are on the terror list across the world.

If this is the case, it will be ironical, that Pakistan govt allowing such advertisements by banned groups is coming back to bite its citizens...

Poor guys.. I think they are just paying the price of a bad reputation. Dont think there is any real terror link here. If it was, they wouldnt have transfered money so blatantly.. Probably sending money over in response to the appeals of the likes of JuD which are on the terror list across the world.

If this is the case, it will be ironical, that Pakistan govt allowing such advertisements by banned groups is coming back to bite its citizens...

:rofl:

Very likely. This whole multinational terror inc. works in a very decentralized fashion - there are hundreds of groups, thousands of web sites, hundreds of secure payment gateways - got to be really damn careful while donating money!

What exactly is left of our image that this will be a blow too.

As for these people, I read about it in the morning and they are involved in fund raising for the flood victims but many exploit situation for their own gains and in this case, yet another religious group going out of their scope to inflict harm with their activities.

Lets hope they are innocent and I am wrong on my assumptions.

cant watch the videos, but have to ask patani jihat?

Wikipedia says that a number Pattani Muslims have received training in Al-queda camps in Pakistan,though without citation(proof).

However there are documents stating that Morro separatists having close ties and receiveing training in Al-queda camps in Pakistan and Afghanistan,maybe some Pattani extremists jumped over board.

http://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1344/MR1344.ch9.pdf

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom