What's new

14 routes to better education in Pakistan

The problem with trying to completely standardize education is that the 'rifts' between the different types of education are so deep that it is impractical to try and change that suddenly, or even gradually without taking some steps first. We cant just 'standardize' them all - a madrassa will never be able to conform to the exact same standards an English Medium O/A level school does.

at policy level it's important to take a descion of Standardization. This society cannot flourish without changing the current education system.

1- ''English Medium'', lower class. Basically the traditional Matric route with English included, but generally inadequate. Some also provide O/A Levels.
2- ''Urdu Medium'', traditional Urdu-based education
The good thing that is happening in punjab is that they are gradually shifting towards english medium schools.

at policy level it's important to take a descion of Standardization. This society cannot flourish without changing the current education system.
Yes, that's why I mentioned the 'criteria' proposition in my post. In the short term it's more practical to set a certain criteria for all education institutions to follow instead of trying to make them the exact same.

Even in the West, multiple paths of education exist, similar to the difference between Matric and O/A levels but they have made certain standards compulsory regardless of what path you take.
The good thing that is happening in punjab is that they are gradually shifting towards english medium schools.
The bad side of that good thing is that there are many such schools that can't spell ''English Medium'' properly.

@TankMan sir there's testing system in Pakistan k.a. NTS. Perhaps you're talking about its advance shape in criteria idea, btw its logical and simplest solution.

Pakistan need to invest Education heavily and improve their mindsets to common senses.

Are they working hard enough? :what:

@TankMan sir there's testing system in Pakistan k.a. NTS. Perhaps you're talking about its advance shape in criteria idea, btw its logical and simplest solution.
Please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know the NTS doesn't test the schools or institutions, it tests the students for the purpose of them seeking further education etc. What I was talking about was a system that tests educational institutions based on what they teach their students, and sets a legal requirement for said institutions to teach a set of standardized basics to their pupils - similar to what OFSTED does in the UK.

So, for example, a school would be legally required to properly teach its students subjects like mathematics, science and Urdu. Its students would be tested and if they scored below a set percentage, that school would face some sort of legal repercussions.

Of course, I don't expect our government to be so efficient as to actually enforce all that, but simply creating a framework would lay the foundations for future development. This framework can be a part of the NTS or whatever, as long as it's done.

Madaris are providing three basic necessities to a child: free food, clothing and accommodation, that too at substandard or 'guzara' level. In return they mould him the way they want, that the kid moves upon their finger tips. To counter and outrun this, govt will've to bring similar system with better attractions. Govt will've to invest in it and invite donors the way madaris do. Make a base mostly in rural and less developed areas, give a standard that anyone willing to send their children. Most parents want their child to make a Hafiz so govt should make hifz a subject obviously.

So, far they provide with free marks for a student who shows an evidence of being a Hafiz/Hafizah.
But most of them just cram it and reproduce it when they are asked about it, like a recording machine, with little impact on their over all grooming and personality.There must be more about it.They also need a syllabus reform as far as Islamiat is concerned.The need is to broaden the horizon a bit for the growing brain.

About a budgetary allocation that can facilitate the process ,as someone have mentioned the government and it's role. One can not be very hopeful about it.As President Mamnoon Hussain Sahib said the other day at PC Rawalpindi that the government know it all about it, and they failed to reach their target of 5% allocation of GDP for these sectors i-e Health and education.Reason is that the corruption is rampant and our hands are tied as we have added more than $15bn to our external debt in these couple of years.So, this trend so far, unfortunately is going to stay.

Ultimately the private sector will have to be brought in given the incompetency of the central government(s). Edhi runs the largest ambulance fleet when this should be the task of the state. Given the states inability to deal with the education crises thus sooner or later the private sector/charities will have to be brought in through incentives and subsidies. Already many charities operate and if the state is sincere it can simply give further support to these to help resolve this crises. One of the biggest charities focusing on education at the moment that I am aware of is Seema Aziz's Care Foundation (Care in the Media .If similar ventures were given further support by the government we can go a long way in creating a better Pakistan for our newer generations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom