What's new

100 killed in Lanka shelling

Al-zakir

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

Reuters, COLOMBO
Jan 23: Nearly 100 civilians have been killed in artillery exchanges between Sri Lanka's military and Tamil Tigers since the weekend, a top government official working in the area controlled by the rebels said on Thursday.
The report of casualties came on a day the United Nations said the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) had violated international law by stopping its local staff and their families from leaving the war zone in an aid convoy.
That echoed earlier complaints from human rights watchdogs that said the separatist rebels had forced civilians to stay in the war zone as human shields and forced conscripts.
The rebels, on U.S., E.U. and Indian terrorist lists, deny that.
Sri Lanka's military has boxed the LTTE into an area of less than 400 square km (155 sq miles) after the most successful campaign so far in the 25-year war and is aiming to deliver a final blow to the last rebel redoubt, the port of Mullaitivu.
Aid agencies have warned that about 230,000 refugees are trapped and at risk of being caught in the crossfire.
"Around 30 people died in the morning today. Personally I saw that nearly 100 people have died from Saturday up to today. More than 300 have been injured," Mullaittivu District Government Agent Emelda Sukumar told Reuters by phone.
Getting independent confirmation of casualties in the war zone is nearly impossible.
Sukumar, who spoke from Mullaittivu, is in charge of government services including humanitarian aid in the rebel area.
The national government pays her salary, but she is under the LTTE's watch and relies on them for her safety. For that reason, the government has often said its agents are under duress and liable to publicly give a version of events favorable to the LTTE.
Sukumar said the army ceased fire after her office got in touch with them and the Red Cross, which arranged a convoy to ferry 46 sick and wounded people from a hospital near Mullaittivu to a government hospital in Vavuniya, far from the battle.
Meanwhile, assailants on motorbikes attacked and wounded a Sri Lankan newspaper editor and his wife as they drove to work Friday morning, authorities said, the latest in a string of assault on journalists in Sri Lanka.
The government, which has been accused of turning a blind eye to the violence or even orchestrating it, announced it would create a special police team to find out who is behind the attacks, Media Minister Anura Yapa said.
"We totally condemn this type of attack, and we will do everything possible to find the culprits," he said.
In the latest attack, four people on motorbikes blocked Upali Tennakoon's car near his home outside Colombo as he and his wife were heading to work at the independent Rivira weekly newspaper, police spokesman Ranjith Gunasekera said.
The assailants repeatedly stabbed the couple, he said.
Dr. Prasad Ariyawansa, a doctor at Colombo National Hospital, said Tennakoon was treated for lacerations to his hands and forehead and his wife had some lacerations as well.
The assault came two weeks after assailants on motorcycles gunned down Lasantha Wickrematunge, the editor of a paper that is harshly critical of the government.
His killing, just two days after a private TV station was shot up by gunmen armed with grenades, prompted a wave of international criticism against Sri Lanka over the safety of journalists. No arrests have been made in the killing.
The government has also been criticized for arresting journalists critical of its policies and its war on ethnicTamil rebels.
On Friday, Human Rights Watch called on the government to drop charges against J.S. Tissainayagam, an ethnic Tamil journalist who was arrested in March and indicted five months later under an anti-terrorism law for two articles he wrote about issues confronting Sri Lanka's minority Tamils.
"Tissainayagam's arrest was politically motivated and his detention has involved a litany of due process violations," said Brad Adams, the New York-based group's Asia director. "The prosecution of journalists only reinforces the impression that the government has embarked on a systematic campaign to smother free media."

:: The Daily Independent Bangladesh :.. Internet Edition

I hope the miseries of Srilankan People will end soon and this Menace of Tamil Tigers will end soon. Pakistan will keep on Extending all the Co-operation to the Govt of Srilanka.

Such a small Island, and still the Tamil Tigers want their own share?
This war has been going on for way too long, it's time that it ends, seriously, the Sri Lankan people cannot live in harmony with this war being fought back and forth.
It looks as if the government forces are succesful at cracking the tigers down, I continue to read one newsreport after another regarding the Sri Lankan army succesfully tackling the tigers and capturing their strongholds, so things must be going in the right direction for the Sri Lankans.

Such a small Island, and still the Tamil Tigers want their own share?
This war has been going on for way too long, it's time that it ends, seriously, the Sri Lankan people cannot live in harmony with this war being fought back and forth.
It looks as if the government forces are succesful at cracking the tigers down, I continue to read one newsreport after another regarding the Sri Lankan army succesfully tackling the tigers and capturing their strongholds, so things must be going in the right direction for the Sri Lankans.

I think this war is reaching the end point and and that's why it is getting even more intense, There is very old saying that

Night is darkest just before the dawn.

I hope people of Srilanka will soon enjoy peace and harmony after this war is over.

There is nothing good in war except its ending.

Who Financed Tamil Tigers ?
Whats their source of income ?

I am suffering from a nasty cough which occurs because of the flu these days but I have to say *cough* *cough* India *COUGH*
Oh my, look at my temperature, i'm off to bed. ;)

Probably from a imagining superpower that likes to screw up other poeple business from extreme misery but when get caught it act like a big fat baby that can't eat with own hand....... :devil:

The prestigious Jane’s Intelligence Report said in its August issue that the LTTE’s annual income is “between $200-300 million making it the second biggest income generating terrorist organization in the world. It is second only to the Revolutionary Armed Group of Colombia, which sources its funds from the vast sales of cocaine. For the LTTE, the source of the income- both legal and illegal- is perhaps “from shipping to drugs and extortion by a network of professional managers - both Tamils and others – across a string of countries and also comes from purported Tamil charities, the funds of which are allegedly transferred for its coffers,” the report said, adding that many Tamil charities have become an effective way of transferring money to the terrorist outfit. The report added that the group has been engaged in a war with warning results since 2006 and its weapons have been smuggled in from South-East Asia and nearby parts of India. Quoting the Sri Lankan government, the report said large amounts of money raised after the 2004 tsunami found their way to the rebels. “Australian Federal Government has prosecuted LTTE supporters against the same charge but the LTTE has denied the charge,” it said. Jane’s also said the Tamil Tigers freedom to operate overseas was reduced by a global crackdown on militant groups after September 11, 2001 attacks.
Sri Lanka: LTTE’s annual income between $200-300 million: Jane’s Report,Indian Subcontinent, News Analysis, India News Online

LTTE launches special drive for funds in Europe, Canada
Most of the Sri Lankan Tamil families in UK have to strictly donate atleast 10 Pounds per family to LTTE. I know this becoz i stayed with a Sri lankan family as a paying guest for 4 months and they said that if they dont pay the amount they will get threatening Letters demanding money. And guess how many Sri Lankan Tamils are there all around the world. They are huge in numbers. Their contribution is enough to fund LTTE for a war.

Back
Top Bottom