What's new

10 Signs That You've Made It To Middle Class Status!

Can you specify from this map which areas are included in south mumbai?

mumbai - Google Maps

All of the Western side below Worli.
See in bombay there is this great divide. East side of entire Bombay - from South to North - is cheap compared to the Western Side. You would find all chawls and low grade housing in East.

How do you decide what is east and what is west? The railway lines running in bombay. They run North-South. So anything west of the railway line is West , and east of the rail line is East.
Note: This east west demarcation is not geographical - that means west bombay is quite small compared to east bombay. It is NOT split in the middle.

West is where everything is - from nice localities, to all the clubs, to all the places to be. East tends to be where the workers live or those who donot have money enough to live in the west.

Fullscreen%2520capture%252008-12-2012%2520213923.jpg

Fullscreen%2520capture%252008-12-2012%2520214042.jpg

That's DLF Aralias in Gurgaon(NCR).

A flat here costs between 20-22 crores INR.

I'd gladly pay for a flat there.
Now all I need is the ca$h :undecided:

Anyways, someone from Chennai told me that all these price hikes are because of the economic boom itself. It's the poor/lower class of society that's suffering.

LOL you did not get sarcasm! I was twisting numbers to pull your leg :devil:
50~60K are good enough to live a decent life in India.

50-60K in cities like Mumbai for single income households (especially with school goingchildren) would not be sufficient for a decent life + decent savings...but would be more than sufficient in cities like chennai or b'lore..in cities like mumbai you need atleast 80-90K for decent living + decent savings..

The railway lines running in bombay. They run North-South. So anything west of the railway line is West , and east of the rail line is East.
[...]
West is where everything is - from nice localities, to all the clubs, to all the places to be. East tends to be where the workers live or those who donot have money enough to live in the west.

The wrong side of the tracks. Literally!

Anyways, someone from Chennai told me that all these price hikes are because of the economic boom itself. It's the poor/lower class of society that's suffering.

The massive price of realty in India is indeed because of economic boom. People are moving out and want independent homes away from their family, coupled with rapid urbanization.

Those who already owned things got lucky, those who are buying houses for the first time - and especially in cities like Delhi or Mumbai are suffering. And if this carries on - it will be a night mare - even the lower middle class will be forced into slums, let alone the poor.

However there is a good side - Cities in North India are getting more expensive, as compared to Southern India. So a Bangalore or Chennai or Calcutta is much much cheaper compared to the Northern cities like Delhi or bombay.

Thats because the people in South dont spend as people in North do. Consumption patterns are different. Here property prices are rising because everyone wants a separate house coupled with speculation. People own 3-4 houses to give out on rent.

Down south, people mostly buy a house to live in. They dont keep buying flats like we do in Delhi. They invest a lot in gold, its much less so in places like Delhi. That makes a fundamental difference.

I guess this definition would be for upper middle class by Indian standards.

A family earning >30K in smaller towns and >50 K in cities should be considered middle class in India.

They will be able to afford only a fraction of stuff mentioned by OP.

Though of course you see many people who can afford it all when their parents could barely afford even one of these.

Down south, people mostly buy a house to live in. They dont keep buying flats like we do in Delhi. They invest a lot in gold, its much less so in places like Delhi. That makes a fundamental difference.

It's changing now, at least for some people.

One part is that the craze for land (not flats) is much larger down South from what I have observed. Especially among the richer class.

Many salaried people who are well off, they are investing in property and flats for investment/speculation as much as people up North.

In simple words - West is where Bombay lives and East is where Mumbai lives..

Actually people here dont prefer built up houses..we buy lands and then build houses ourself..atleast that is what I see in Tamil Nadu..and yes..we like lootttttttssssss of Gold. We love Mahalakshmi.

I failed to mention one thing that the flats facing the pool there have a gr8 view a of all exclusive DLF Golf Course...making it a magnificent site. Further down its a complete green belt where nothing can be constructed. Indeed an amazing place to live.

Home Ownership

Do you own a house whose value is between Rs 30 and 60 lakhs?

Stay with parents, though the house is worth more than above. If needed, I guess I could go for a 40lakh house, but there isnt any need. So I will take yes, count 1

Automobile Ownership

Have a car that costs between Rs 4 and 10 lakhs?

High end Swift costing 6 lacs ( self owned). Count 2

Health Coverage

A health insurance cover of at least Rs 10 lakhs?
Yes. Count 3

Children’s Education

Are your children studying in Public schools that charge between Rs75,000 and Rs 1 lakh per year as fees? Or studying in colleges that cost more than Rs 3 Lakhs per year?

Not married yet. Though it might change in the next few months.

Plasma/LED/LCD TV 32” and above.

TVs in all bedrooms and maybe the living room too with at least one DVD/Blue Ray player.

No. Old TV only in hall with DVD layer. Not much of a TV buff in my household. Count 3

Washing machine/dishwasher/clothes dryer/computer/iPad or equivalent.

These needless to say are a must.

Except dishwasher. Its pretty useless for Indian cooking. Count 4.

Eating Out

Do you spend approx Rs 2000-5000 on eating out every month?

Borderline 2000, maybe. Count 5

Vacations

At least one vacation abroad in two/three years.

Go frequently abroad to Europe/US but sponsored by company. Wont spend a penny unless it is for entertainment and shopping. Guess, would never take a self-paid abroad vacation, there is still so much to explore in India itself. Count 5.

Tax

Do you pay income tax of at least Rs 20,000 per year? (Does not apply to tax evaders!)

Easily. Count 6

Club Membership

Are you a member of a reputed club in a metro.

Nah, just good old gym and swimming pool. Final Count 6

Total score 6/9 ( Not considering the marriage thing!). So I do not belong to middle class? :what:

I guess some of the guidelines are pretty harsh. It's very rare your find a middle class family owning 60 lackh house, with 3 lakh school fees per year, frequent abroad vacations and club membership( the fees is upward of 2 lacs). I mean all these at the same time...IMO, its very tough.

You reap what you sow. If your karma is good and done a good job in the last outing....I mean last birth, then you get the goodies here and now. Otherwise you'll be consigned to a life of damnation!!! :cray:

In other words, do something good now so you get to stay in a Rs 40 crore penthouse in your next birth! :P
lol-003.gif

Back
Top Bottom