What's new

1 killed as violence erupts in city

Zabaniyah

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
A man was killed and another injured as a hand-made bomb went off at Motijheel while four vehicles were set afire as activists of BNP-Jamaat led four-party alliance fought pitched battles with police at different points in the capital on Sunday.

2011-12-18__Bus-caught-fire.jpg

Over 200 of opposition activists were picked up from different spots including Shahbagh, Kakrail, Motijheel and Naya Paltan areas between 8:30am and 9:00am.

Several cocktails also exploded at different city parts including Naya Paltan, Shahbagh and Santinagar, injuring Ayub Ali, a driver of private television channel Rtv.

At least 10 vehicles including a police van were set on fire at different areas of the capital during the clashes, fire brigade officials said.

Panic gripped the city dwellers following the sudden violence that also disrupted traffic movement on different thoroughfares.

Security has been beefed up across the city following the violence.

The clashes broke out early in the morning when law enforcers obstructed opposition leaders and activists coming from different districts to join a BNP programme in the city.

Rezaul Karim, officer-in-charge of Shahbagh Police Station, told The Daily Star that they picked up 22 people during the clashes.

BNP organised the reception programme for freedom fighters at the capital's Engineers Institution, Bangladesh (IEB) which is going on around 3:45pm when the report was filed.

In the wake of the violence, BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia called an urgent meeting this evening at her Gulshan residence with senior party leaders to discuss the current political situation.

BNP acting secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir in his instant reaction on the violence told reporters that the government is creating chaos by its people to foil the reception.

Addressing a press conference at the National Press Club around 1:15pm, he alleged that the BNP men came under attacks when they were waiting at different city points to welcome the freedom fighters. :hitwall:

Law enforcers arrested over 300 leaders and workers of BNP and its front and associate organisations and over 250 injured in police and Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) action on them, he alleged.

Two activists of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal (JCD) of Titumir College unit were picked up when they locked in chase and counter-chase with the members of law enforcement agencies, said Shah Alam, officer-in-charge of Gulshan Police Station.

During the clash, the JCD activists also hurled brick chips at police, leaving Shah Alam injured.

In another development, activists of Bangladesh Chhatra League, the student wing of ruling Awami League, brought out a procession around 1:30pm from the Dhaka University premises protesting the violence.

The BCL activists blamed the main opposition BNP for the violence saying the party resorted to the violence to show its muscle power.

Witnesses said Arifuzzaman Arif, 24, was killed and Jahangir, a restaurant owner of Sayedabad area, sustained injuries in his legs after the bomb exploded with a bang on the road in front of Ghoroa Hotel around 9:30am.

The victims were rushed to Dhaka Medical College Hospital where doctors declared Arif dead. A resident of Uttar Goran, Arif was a trainee motor driver.

Irene Sultana, younger sister of the deceased, said Arif was not involved in any political party.

Talking to The Daily Star, Sanowar Hossain, assistant commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) and also a member of bomb disposal unit, said after a primary investigation it was found that the deceased himself was carrying the bomb.

He said the bomb went off in the hand of victim after he tumbled down while crossing the road divider.

Abul Kamal, owner of a tea stall near the scene, said he heard three big bangs just after 9:30am.

After the first bang, he thought it was a sound coming out from a tyre puncture. Later, he heard two sounds and the whole area was covered with smoke.

The first clash ensued around 5:45am when police tried to resist the opposition activists who were vandalising a number of vehicles at Segunbagicha.

The clash gradually spread across the city and chases and counter-chases also took place.

Witnesses said police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse the opposition activists. The law enforcers also charged batons on the opposition activists and drove them out from the IEB who gathered there in the morning.

The opposition activists also locked in clashes with police at Farmgate area around 11:00pm when police tried to resist them while they were vandalising five to six vehicles there.

Masudur Rahman, additional deputy commoner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP), told The Daily Star that a police van was torched at Santinagar around 7:30am.

Witnesses said five more vehicles were set on fire at Gulistan, Farmgate, Karwanbazar, Motijheel and Gabtoli.

Police and witnesses said five cocktails went off in front of BNP’s Naya Paltan central office around noon while three in front of Easter Plus shopping complex in Shantinagar and another three in Shahbagh area around 10:30am followed by two more in front of Jatiya Press Club around 2:00pm.

The Rtv driver was injured when a cocktail exploded on his vehicle which was in front of the BNP's central office to cover the incident. He was rushed to a nearby clinic.

Police also recovered another cocktail from behind the BNP office.

Meanwhile, Asaduzzaman, officer-in-charge of Savar Police Station, said a huge tailback has been created on the Dhaka-Aricha highway following the city violence.

Source: 1 killed as violence erupts in city

shame on these BNP-Jamaat goons for rioting and trying to disrupt the peace and growth of Bangladesh. :tdown:

Destroying public property and amenities will do more harm than good. Its nothing more than a form of self flagellation.

Surprisingly, this happened in the city's financial hub :hitwall:

Read the article again. It was the BNP-Jamaat who were attacked.

Read again genius:

A man was killed and another injured as a hand-made bomb went off at Motijheel while four vehicles were set afire as activists of BNP-Jamaat led four-party alliance fought pitched battles with police at different points in the capital on Sunday.

Did you even bother to read the whole article?

Yeah i have but you don't.

The BNP-jamaatis have started riot that caused death.

Rest is a accusation by a political party said to behind the riots i.e.BNP acting secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir have said something "allegedly" just to save himself and image of his party.

Read again genius:

1 hour before this bomb attack my friends fell victim of brutal police attack without any provocation. It looked liked policemen were ordered to create anarchy and the bomb blast was pre planned..... I wrote about it in the morning before it came out in the media in another thread. Most probably Abir saw it. We student wing of BNP had invitations from central to attend the programme peacefully... According to my roommate, they were attacked just after leaving the rickshaw from front and back by police. They had to run a fair distance and took shelter in a house. They all returned with abrasions and bandage.... Thanks God i chose to attend my classes instead of going there....

Yeah i have but you don't.

The BNP-jamaatis have started riot that caused death.

Rest is a accusation by a political party said to behind the riots i.e.BNP acting secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir have said something "allegedly" just to save himself and image of his party.

"Image" eh? :lol:

1 hour before this bomb attack my friends fell victim of brutal police attack without any provocation. It looked liked policemen were ordered to create anarchy and the bomb blast was pre planned..... I wrote about it in the morning before it came out in the media in another thread. Most probably Abir saw it. We student wing of BNP had invitations from central to attend the programme peacefully... According to my roommate, they were attacked just after leaving the rickshaw from front and back by police. They had to run a fair distance and took shelter in a house. They all returned with abrasions and bandage.... Thanks God i chose to attend my classes instead of going there....

Much of the police are AL cadres.

Simple answer to BD friends...Chnage your Gov if you dont like...If your Gov is not changed...then blame on your people or system.....Nothing to cry for...Like we in India are blaming Congress but again...people select Congress...so no choice but to go with people....accept the reality...

Answer me one thing, why would BNP throw bombs at their own party office?

To get an excuse of being innocent, to provoke its cadre, to start a riot there are several reasons as they have been rejected by people of Bangladesh in the elections they are doing everything other then peaceful and democratic protest.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Your own admission.

Now its proven beyond doubt that your post is due to political affiliations.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom