What's new

1.76 Lac Crore for 2G, but only 1.5 Lac Crore for 5G auction?

StraightEdge

Reaction score
Country
India
FZIYojQakAAXFf8.jpeg

How many people recall this? The most famous/infamous case of corruption during UPA tenure. CAG Vinod Rai accused govt of corruption and loss of 1.76 Lakh Crore for 2G auction. Now just recently, 5G auctions were held and for "mere" 1.5 Lakh crore. Imagine after 15 years, and for 5G, the auction fetched even less.

So are we looking at even bigger corruption, or did someone make the entire nation fool and never even said sorry?

View attachment 867237

How many people recall this? The most famous/infamous case of corruption during UPA tenure. CAG Vinod Rai accused govt of corruption and loss of 1.76 Lakh Crore for 2G auction. Now just recently, 5G auctions were held and for "mere" 1.5 Lakh crore. Imagine after 15 years, and for 5G, the auction fetched even less.

So are we looking at even bigger corruption, or did someone make the entire nation fool and never even said sorry?

The 4G Scam almost DESTROYED the entire Indian Telecom Industry.

Only TWO private players survived in the 2nd largest Telecom market in the WORLD.

1. Vodafone who still operates with a loss of 1 Billion $ every year.

2. Airtel

And Jio exist ONLY because they started AFTER the Telecom Scams.

Its a miracle they were able to raise this amount for 5G with tech ban on chinese equipment's.

Have you been living under a rock all this time ?

In any case Modi govt. still managed to raise Rs65,789.12 crore with 4G auction in 2016 and Rs 77,814.80 crore in 2021.

That is a total of Rs. 143603.92 Crores from the 4G auction.

More important than what you raise from these auctions is the economic opportunities available to people through the improved connectivity.

5G should provide uninterrupted Internet access which means wherever there is coverage even in the remotest regions people can use the Internet for jobs and businesses.

View attachment 867237

What is corruption ?
According to Transparency international
"We define corruption as the abuse of entrusted power for private gain."
https://www.transparency.org/en/what-is-corruption

BJP/RSS have legalized corruption through electoral bonds.

https://www.business-standard.com/about/what-is-electoral-bond
An electoral bond is like a promissory note that can be bought by any Indian citizen or company incorporated in India from select branches of State Bank of India. The citizen or corporate can then donate the same to any eligible political party of his/her choice.

Any corporate can anonymously buy BJP's electoral bonds.
BJP's income rises 50% in FY20, over five times of Congress -
The ruling party earned Rs 2,555 crore from electoral bonds in 2019-20, a 76% surge over its Rs 1,450 crore income through this route 2018-19, according to the BJP’s annual audit report put out by the Election Commission on Monday.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Why would a corporate buy BJP's electoral bonds ? What do they expect to gain in return ?

Perhaps also because 5G is still an incremental(although I am discounting it massively) upgrade over existing 4G capabilities?
At the end, 2G was mass cellphone adoption in India whereas 5G is more akin to an existing network upgrade

5G is not that revolutionary, I’m using here in tokyo and it’s not that WOW , my home wifi is way stable plus we are getting network here with every isp, due to 5g? Dunno

You missed the point these 1.5 Lac crore will be new notes with nano chips while most of notes in earlier 1.76 lac crore were fake supplied by ISI.

View attachment 867237

Here's an excellent recap of what went how.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many missing the point of this thread - I am not arguing about the values/features of 5G. I am referring to the scandal that literally changed the landscape of Indian politics.
The NDA came to power on the backdrop of massive corruption charges of UPA, the most visible one being 2G scam. The then CAG (Comptroller and Auditor General of India) accused the govt of "loss of 1.76 Lac crore" (approx 22 Billion USD). This auction happened in 2007, 15 years back. So, in today's date that number by nominal inflation numbers (say 2.5% per year) should be around 2.5 lakh crore (agains this is just loss as per CAG, entire value should be more).
Now the current govt which was in opposition then, is claiming the current auction to be a 'success'. Do you see the contradiction?
The technical aspects of 5G is obviously a different story, which I won't argue here.

Many missing the point of this thread - I am not arguing about the values/features of 5G. I am referring to the scandal that literally changed the landscape of Indian politics.
The NDA came to power on the backdrop of massive corruption charges of UPA, the most visible one being 2G scam. The then CAG (Comptroller and Auditor General of India) accused the govt of "loss of 1.76 Lac crore" (approx 22 Billion USD). This auction happened in 2007, 15 years back. So, in today's date that number by nominal inflation numbers (say 2.5% per year) should be around 2.5 lakh crore (agains this is just loss as per CAG, entire value should be more).
Now the current govt which was in opposition then, is claiming the current auction to be a 'success'. Do you see the contradiction?
The technical aspects of 5G is obviously a different story, which I won't argue here.

Yes, spectrum allocation is 1kg barfi you are selling at your confectionery shop. :crazy:

Perhaps also because 5G is still an incremental(although I am discounting it massively) upgrade over existing 4G capabilities?
At the end, 2G was mass cellphone adoption in India whereas 5G is more akin to an existing network upgrade
The CAG at the time Vinod Rai should be highlighted as a cautionary tale for bureaucrats — encouraging them to consult industry experts on topics their exposure is merely peripheral. His self inflated ego and need for attention single handedly demolished a whole sector.

The telecom sector was quite vibrant before this ridiculous auction and “scam”. From Docomo to uninor to etisalat to Aircel to idea to spice <insert name here>. I still remember ads/offers on mobile messaging and data was exploding. I’m not complaining about connectivity today — but it’s kind of sad that we don’t have more players in this space.

🤦🏽‍♂️

The CAG at the time Vinod Rai should be highlighted as a cautionary tale for bureaucrats — encouraging them to consult industry experts on topics their exposure is merely peripheral. His self inflated ego and need for attention single handedly demolished a whole sector.

The telecom sector was quite vibrant before this ridiculous auction and “scam”. From Docomo to uninor to etisalat to Aircel to idea to spice <insert name here>. I still remember ads/offers on mobile messaging and data was exploding. I’m not complaining about connectivity today — but it’s kind of sad that we don’t have more players in this space.

🤦🏽‍♂️
Well it is an oligarchy of sorts but that is also the healthiest economic organism to survive in the market that is India.
A perfect competitive environment doesnt exist anywhere - even here in the US the major Telcos are merging to be more competitive and reduce their operational costs .

Back
Top Bottom