What's new

Zulqarnain Haider seeks British asylum after match-fixing threats

I'm pretty sure he is telling the truth that he was indeed threatened. Obviously no one in Pakistan has the confidence in the authorities. Basically what this means is that either you do what the bookies are told or you get killed.

Who in their right minds think that PCB would have been able to save him. Good decision by Haider. Unless it is proven that he is lying, we cannot assume so and he should get the benefit of the doubt since its a matter of life and death.

can we please have only 1 thread discussing Zulqarnain and his Threats?

We have at least 10-12 threads discussing samething (in Cricket and Current Events sections)

The face to face meetup would have scared the heck out of the guy ... :rolleyes: I have to admit he showed no class thou and no judgement bringing shame to Pakistan and also to PCB threats against players is nothing new

somenew reports are coming in alleging that Haider took money from a bookie and then fled to London citing security threats siince bookies are already after him now... amazing twist

Well he played for Pakistan, which is every young Pakistani's dream,
He scored a very brilliant half century against england, he took the winning runs and took Pakistan to victory in the 4th ODI, he was selected for the test series against South Africa, and he is a very good wicket keeper with sharp and fast reflexes.
Then
Why he wants assylum in UK all of the sudden?
If i am not wrong he was already in UK couple of months before, playing for Pakistan.
Yh topi drama tb bhi to racha sakta tha na,

So much happening for him, luxury, celebrity status, money, wife...
Why would he just leave like that.
There is somethig seriously and weirdly wrong with Pakistan Cricket, PCB.

I believe him when he say "'I didn't want to sell my country",
His and His family is really in danger.

@ Jonasad, as many have already pointed out this appears to be a well orchestrated 'drama' to secure political asylum in the UK. However, I suspect the reasons behind it are not as straightforward as bringing his family over, getting a red passport and living in a council owned semi in Rochdale on welfare. There may be perfectly valid cricketing reasons behind his move-

This chap is only 24 and can only ever hope to play for Pakistan when Kamran Akmal sits out due to injury. Kamran Akmal is also in his twenties and wicket keepers typically have longer shelf lives than other players (well into their late 30s).

On the other hand, Matt Prior's wicket keeping skils are a bit hit and miss, although he is a decent batsman. England would love to have the option of a decent batter who is also good behind the wickets, which this geezer appears to be.

Zulki has taken inspiration from the likes of Pieterson and Trott who are playing for England after gaining UK nationality. If granted asylum, he could qualify to play for England within the next few years and may even get to play in the IPL if he is any good.

i wish it was Afridi being threatened because he would have given whoever is issuing such threats a true Khyber-Agency style thrashing.....let me tell ya

Abu Zolfiqar - Did you know that one of the bookies who had testified against the match fixing mafia (and had then fled Pakistan) was found brutally murdered in South Africa?

Hansie Cronje died after he testified. Bob Woolmer's death was under very very controversial circumstances.

I have also read Waseem Akram was under immense pressure, even his father was kidnapped!

'D' company, ring has very very powerful contacts.

i don't care...it's better to die fighting than hide and run away in fear.

Haider should have taken off his shoe and thrashed whoever threatened him; he should have spat on the honour of the man's mustache.

i'm not being irrational or trying to sound like tough guy. I speak with full conviction and with full seriousness.

^^ Abou in real world the bookie mafia have long hands.
I would not blame too much to the young man.
He got panicked.. and ran for his life, every one is not soldier of on front lines.
IMO.. he did nothing wrong... he has all the right to struggle for his life and he left because he had no trust left in PCB.

I agree, but PCB and former Pak players have not set good example for new players. It seems late for an invidual to fight alone, desease has spread (has alleged match fixing in domestic matches, Haider was removed from Lahore captaincy, side batted poor, opposition chased 123 in just 6 overs, ridicilous scorecard), I don't blame him at all for wanting to get the **** out of there as soon as he could and trusting no-one.

PCB should be private body and not answerable to President (Zardari).

i can ALMOST say confidently (perhaps with 65-70% confidence levels) that 175 million Pakistani citizens have no faith in Goddam the PCB

those national athletes are soldiers, but different kind of soldiers; the more I think about it, the more upset I get that he ran to the UK. On the first day I was more understanding and more forgiving, but no I'm sorry it was a wrong move to do in hindsight.

my post may sound childish, but again, I dont care. If he was threatened, he should have thrashed the goats out of whoever threatened him.....and then stomped the guy while he was on the ground, take his mobile phone, and look at all the names and text messages in the mobile phone one-by-one in an attempt to understand who the enemy is

dont go applying for asylum and making a huge scene out of the ordeal!! I respect Haider, I respect who he is, and I am sorry he has gone through this bullshyte

i dont respect WHAT HE DID. It was unprofessional. It hurts me to see someone I care about do a sissy move like that.

Zulqarnain Haider should go to media and should make his statements before leaving team. Here in sub-continent cricketers are more respectable than politicians, definitely his statements had some good impact on PCB and authorities to provide him full protection as well as to dig into matter.

Some more responsible action from him should be helpful to other young cricketers who are continuous target of bookies. Now other young players will surrender to bookies very easily after seeing end of Zulqarnain's career.

He can go to Dubai authority and ask for protection. Why UK ? If he don't have trust in PCB then he should talk to sport minister or some other higher authority.

It amazes me the patience these britishers have......the standard britisher must be wondering what in the hell is wrong with these people ---always their people are coming and settling there due to self imposed exiles

the Altafs the Imran Farooqs the Bhuttos and the list goes on

if you're gonna exile yourself from your paradise, your motherland ---at least go somewhere exotic and special --- like Beirut or Istanbul. LoLLL

^^ Abou all the bhuttos, zardaris, gilanis, ministers and altafs.... pump billions into UK's economy.
They can choose which country they like to live.

It is only the deserving who never get asylum.

bhuttos, zardaris, gilanis, ministers and altafs are investing in UK in form of properties and putting tons of money in UK's banks.

If really UK wants to help Pakistan they should kick all of them out and give all their money and properties back to GOP.

Back
Top Bottom