What's new

ZT China's latest F-80 air to air missiles

All it says is medium range missile. Not air to air. Looks more like air to ground missile in my opinion.
The Chinese characters below means "medium range air to air missile''.

All it says is medium range missile. Not air to air. Looks more like air to ground missile in my opinion.

In the picture, it says "F-80中距离空空导弹",use googletranslate.

If this picture is actually a real image, then it looks like a possible advance AAM design based on Heat and IR (image) guidance. The design ensures high G maneuverability and high AOA with multiple seeker technologies in place to potentially defeat low observable targets or to counter stealthy planes or drones.
But you'll need a radar to initially provide the target acquisition data to this missile. Not sure if the Chinese have anything in place at this time that can detect and feed target coordinates in flight for stealthy or low observable objects. This is probably a project at this point IMO
Can these be controlled by GPS guidance?

It has both air to air and air to ground variants, according to the janes article, the EOTS mounted on J-31 can detect an F-22 Raptor passively about 110kms away. This missile will home in on the EOTS passive targeting and attack the raptor without turning its radar on hence never being seen.

It has both air to air and air to ground variants, according to the janes article, the EOTS mounted on J-31 can detect an F-22 Raptor passively about 110kms away. This missile will home in on the EOTS passive targeting and attack the raptor without turning its radar on hence never being seen.

Essentially, the Chinese have in a crude way solved the issue of gimbal tracking rates and coverage area that plague modern missiles. By having multiple IR sensors covering a 45 degree lobe.. it essentially has actual all round detection.
The only problem I see is with the effectiveness of the missile against head on targets.

What if it has a 40-45g TVC motor and a really kickass kill zone like MICA?

Essentially, the Chinese have in a crude way solved the issue of gimbal tracking rates and coverage area that plague modern missiles. By having multiple IR sensors covering a 45 degree lobe.. it essentially has actual all round detection.
The only problem I see is with the effectiveness of the missile against head on targets.

Essentially, the Chinese have in a crude way solved the issue of gimbal tracking rates and coverage area that plague modern missiles. By having multiple IR sensors covering a 45 degree lobe.. it essentially has actual all round detection..

The Chinese are yet to get this creative and "solve" anything intermediately complex in terms of defense technology, on their own, by themselves.
What you're referring to, is stolen tech from the JSF called the DAS (or its Chinese copy with a different name like EOTS).

The missile locking and subsequent release at a target behind or on far sides is called "over the shoulder lock", and yes, it does have all around coverage. But I'd be very surprised to find out if this stolen copy of DAS is even half way decent. The DAS reportedly (real range still classified) tracks a missile's afterburner from 600+ miles away. This here may be a 5th of that. The Chinese will be modifying these ranges while the USAF missiles will be starting to use LASERS instead of missiles!!!

The Chinese are yet to get this creative and "solve" anything intermediately complex in terms of defense technology, on their own, by themselves.
What you're referring to, is stolen tech from the JSF called the DAS (or its Chinese copy with a different name like EOTS).

The missile locking and subsequent release at a target behind or on far sides is called "over the shoulder lock", and yes, it does have all around coverage. But I'd be very surprised to find out if this stolen copy of DAS is even half way decent. The DAS reportedly (real range still classified) tracks a missile's afterburner from 600+ miles away. This here may be a 5th of that. The Chinese will be modifying these ranges while the USAF missiles will be starting to use LASERS instead of missiles!!!

DAS operates on an engineering principal, not a patented design. I'm not sure how the Chinese would be able to "copy" an idea that any aeronautical engineer worth his salt would concoct when challenged with the same set of circumstances and restrictions in regards to sensor configuration.

As for the rest of your post, not one iota of credibility will be lent to your allegations of underperformance unless technical data of both the F-35's and the Chinese system come to light.

Et Tu?
Previous post dated December 2014 :)

Anyway, nice info, thanks!

Only 110km?

Thought it could do what the F-35 could do which was detect stealth fighters further. I think beyond 500km.

Time index 6:10

DAS operates on an engineering principal, not a patented design. I'm not sure how the Chinese would be able to "copy" an idea that any aeronautical engineer worth his salt would concoct when challenged with the same set of circumstances and restrictions in regards to sensor configuration..

:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha: Its pretty obvious that you guys don't really know what copy rights is. And I am not surprised. Every technology used in the -35 is under a copyright and a patent!!! You stole the ENTIRE design through hacking into our systems. And you are going to tell me you stole "engineering concepts"? Tell me one engineering book that has DAS in it!!!

This wasn't an engineering concept, this was a patent design worth hundreds of millions of research, aka, advanced creativity, something that Chinese conveniently ignores and violates all international laws for.

Only 110km?
Thought it could do what the F-35 could do which was detect stealth fighters further. I think beyond 500km.

And missile after-burn right after a launch from over 600 miles away. It can even scan missiles in the entire are from that far out, in addition to keeping an inventory of everything flying in the air.
The Chinese version with 110 KM means someone stole the design, copied it and then couldn't reproduce it close to the original, even after copying it. Even copying this sensitive of advanced tech still requires serious creativity that the Chinese don't have.

VP Joe Biden and the President both were correct when they made open statements that the Chinese don't have any creativity. Its just cop, paste and mass produce.

Last edited:
:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha: Its pretty obvious that you guys don't really know what copy rights is. And I am not surprised. Every technology used in the -35 is under a copyright and a patent!!! You stole the ENTIRE design through hacking into our systems. And you are going to tell me you stole "engineering concepts"? Tell me one engineering book that has DAS in it!!!

This wasn't an engineering concept, this was a patent design worth hundreds of millions of research, aka, advanced creativity, something that Chinese conveniently ignores and violates all international laws for.

And missile after-burn right after a launch from over 600 miles away. It can even scan missiles in the entire are from that far out, in addition to keeping an inventory of everything flying in the air.
The Chinese version with 110 KM means someone stole the design, copied it and then couldn't reproduce it close to the original, even after copying it. Even copying this sensitive of advanced tech still requires serious creativity that the Chinese don't have.

VP Joe Biden and the President both were correct when they made open statements that the Chinese don't have any creativity. Its just cop, paste and mass produce.

I am not surprised at the typical American smearing campaign against China of claiming stealing? As if China has no aeronautical knowledge and can only steal? You can't simply just steal a technology and applying on another plane unless its 100% identical to another. Is J-20 identical to J-31? I think a 3 years kid can also answer that...

US has slowly decline in all field and the gap between China and USA is closing everyday. I can understand the frustration typical American display has when they slowly witness the errosion of their technology edge and wealth of USA.

No doubt USA is much advanced in R & D but China is catching them very fast, some of there Unis are top ranked in the world. Inspiration is not cut, copy, paste. Further every country has right to protect it at any cost. There are no moralities in defense fields. Pls do check history how USA progressed in nuclear field.

At least Chinese follow some rules and work for mutual benefits unlike other int powers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom