What's new

Zamzama hit by burqa-clad thieves

T-Faz

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
KARACHI: Groups of burqa-clad women with men and children in tow have been shoplifting the length and breadth of Zamazama Boulevard, by taking advantage of the hustle and bustle in the small spaces.

Ishaq Memon, who owns a cloth shop, fell victim to one such group that, according to him, stole from others in the area in a single day. “When we discussed the incident among friends and neighbouring shops, we found out that the same group had stolen from four shops in different streets,” he told The Express Tribune.

In one case, a burqa-clad woman haggled over an order, pretending to be a regular customer’s sister. When the regular customer walked in later, the shopkeeper mentioned it to her, only to discover that she was an only child. The burqa-clad woman’s cell phone number was a dead end. A stock check revealed several shirts were missing.

“The problem is that you cannot suspect every woman in a burqa to be a shoplifter,” said Shams Bhatti, a shop owner in lane VI. “You cannot do anything when four women and two men enter your shop and ask the attendants to show them things in different corners.” Most of the time they don’t buy anything. They just excuse themselves and leave quietly. “These women hide the items in their burqas or their bags,” he claimed.

Sometimes the women-dominated group includes men who help ‘distract’ shopkeepers while the women make their move. The number of members of these groups varies. Shopkeepers said they are about six to eight on average.

When shopkeepers suspect them of stealing, they hurry out of the shop and hand over the stolen items to their accomplices waiting outside. “So whenever you stop them for inspection, you have to face humiliation because they have nothing on them,” Bhatti said.

“It is also very difficult for shopkeepers to check the women they suspect as it is extremely disrespectful,” said Abdul Saeed, an official at the Darakshan police station.

These groups have not just restricted themselves to clothes and accessories inside shops, but have also taken off with generators outside. During the last two months, eight generators have been stolen from shops in Zamzama, said Bhatti, quickly adding, “They are not only operating in Zamzama but also in other markets like Gulf Way and the Forum Mall.”

One young woman having coffee at the Forum Mall was deprived of her handbag a little over a month ago. She was sitting with a friend when a group of burqa-clad women squeezed by the small space. It was gone within seconds. “I knew it was them,” she said. “No one else was around at the time.”

Although many shops have installed surveillance cameras the groups somehow dodge them too. It is also difficult for shops to monitor the cameras as well.

Zamzama hit by burqa-clad thieves – The Express Tribune

See why religious symbolism is wrong because criminals exploit it for crimes.

Did not criticise religion..criticizing those who indulge in symbolization with religions..things like burqa and stuff..these are less then ideals yet try to establish their prowess by outwardly show off..there is no such thing as burqa or shuttlecock in Islam. Just decent dress loose enought to not express body figure.

bwahahahah its all fault of Zia very bad very bad

So next time all fashionable ladies' markets, malls like zamzama should ban any burqa-clad lady no matter how much she is a real shopper lolzzz

ehh we have been seeing shoplifting during rush hours and during such special occasions like Eid, here in ladies' bazaars in Peshawar thats nothing new and have nothing to do with burqa

and about two years back i was robbed of money, wallet, credit card, mobile phone and amazingly the ladies were from Punjab who come to Peshawar for buying cloth in large quantity and bribe the customs officials all the way to their destination (its kind of smuggling). The bazaar watchmen were hands in glove with them. It was also Eid occasion. When the ladies did not pay the watchman he suddenly shouted "Check your purses" and that very moment when i just turned back and checked my hanging from my shoulder it was open and all the goods were stolen in a way i even did not feel if someone has opened it and picked my cell, money wallet and all.

The watchman had identified the women we caught one and the elder lady succeeded to flee whereas to the help of the caught one, the trader who provides them cloth came to the police station so the end of the story is that its an entire gang in almost all big cities which gets active on these occasions and specially when its wedding season.

its not necessary
y u guys always criticizing religion

Just for the record, Burqa is not a "Religious thing", it's a "Cultural thing". There is no compulsion in Islam for a woman to cover her face, hands and feet(below ankles).

People deviate religion so it can encompass their cultural beliefs too. I have heard that horses are halal in Central Asian states, Uzebkistan etc. For us, that is not the case. Now you can talk about religious teachings; however, horses are not halal in our region partly because of our cultural background/social norms. Same goes with burqa---

There should be no harm wearing a scarf but proper burqa is something...I mean you cannot recognize someone in it.

I have heard that horses are halal in Central Asian states, Uzebkistan etc. For us, that is not the case.

The Sunni Muslims of Central Asia, Afghanistan and Pakistan follow Hanafi Fiqh. Horse meat is considered Makruh (to be avoided) but Halal in Hanafi fiqh. If it is permissable in Uzbekistan then it is permissable in Pakistan too. According some Internet websites:
"Imam Abu Hanifa (RA) is of the opinion that consuming horse meat is Makruh Tanzihi due to its honor and due to the fact that a horse is needed in wars and battles. Imam Abu Yusuf (RA) and Imam Muhammad (RA) consider it to be halal and it is said that Imam Abu Hanifa (RA) retreated to this opinion. Therefore it will be permissible to consume, although best to avoid. (Hidayah p.441 v.4) "

Just for the record, Burqa is not a "Religious thing", it's a "Cultural thing". There is no compulsion in Islam for a woman to cover her face, hands and feet(below ankles).

yeah i know that very well
but isnt it good to use hijab
what's bad in it
a single incident cant demolish the cultural values

atleat seculers dont face daily sucide blast. our country is messed up by extreamsts not seculers. its a dream of peace now because of our country is living in 1800 not 2010:angel:

But Imran bhai why are you so concern about Pakistan when you are from San Marino and living in Vanuatu.
:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom