What's new

Your top ten favorite English movies of all time?

RabzonKhan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Your top ten favorite English movies of all time?

Here are mine: :coffee:

1. Pretty Women (1990)

You have a dapper, somewhat older wealthy man (Richard Gere), a surprisingly attractive prostitute (Julia Roberts), a toadie type (Jason Alexander) bent on breaking up the high roller and the ho, and the kindly gent (Hector Elizondo) who teaches the trailer trash how to hang with the upper crust.

Pretty Woman is just as much a fairy tell as ever… executed just perfectly enough to make your mouth water. It’s candy for your brain. review by James Brundage

2. The Godfather (Part 1)

The Godfather is a 1972 crime drama film based on the 1969 novel of the same name by Mario Puzo and directed by Francis Ford Coppola, It stars Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Diane Keaton. The story spans ten years from 1945 to 1955 and chronicles the Italian-American Corleone crime family.

3. The Godfather (Part 2)

4. The Great Escape

The Great Escape is a popular 1963 war film about the 250 Allied prisoners of war escaping from a German POW camp during World War II. Produced and directed by John Sturges from a screenplay written by James Clavell, W. R. Burnett and Walter Newman (uncredited), the film stars Steve McQueen, James Garner and Richard Attenborough, and features James Donald, Charles Bronson, Donald Pleasence and James Coburn as well as Gordon Jackson and David McCallum.

5. The Getaway

The Getaway is a 1972 crime and action film directed by Sam Peckinpah and starring Steve McQueen, Ali MacGraw and Ben Johnson. The film is based on the novel by Jim Thompson, with the screenplay written by Walter Hill. A box office hit earning $26 million at the theaters, the film was one of the most financially successful productions of both Peckinpah and McQueen's careers.

6. Papillon

Papillon is a 1973 film based on the autobiography of Henri Charrière. The film was directed by Franklin J. Schaffner and starred Steve McQueen as Henri Charrière (Papillon) and Dustin Hoffman as Louis Dega.

7. Alien (1979)

Alien is a 1979 science fiction/horror film directed by Ridley Scott and starring Sigourney Weaver. The film's title refers to its primary antagonist: a highly aggressive extraterrestrial creature which stalks and kills the crew of a spaceship.

When a mining ship lands on a planet to investigate upon a suspected SOS, the entire crew are unaware of the terror which they would unleash upon their ship. When a alien life-form attach's itself to the face of a crew member, the rest of the team act fast to try and separate the two organisms. Unbeknownst to everyone, this is the start of the terror which would affect every member of the seven person crew. Written by FilmFanUK

8. Star Wars (1977)

Star Wars movie is one of the most successful films of all time and is generally considered one of the most influential as well.

Part IV in a George Lucas epic, Star Wars: A New Hope opens with a rebel ship being boarded by the tyrannical Darth Vader. The plot then follows the life of a simple farmboy, Luke Skywalker, as he and his newly met allies (Han Solo, Chewbacca, Ben Kenobi, C-3PO, R2-D2) attempt to rescue a rebel leader, Princess Leia, from the clutches of the Empire. The conclusion is culminated as the Rebels, including Skywalker and flying ace Wedge Antilles make an attack on the Empires most powerful and ominous weapon, the Death Star. Written by P. Wong

9. Pulp Fiction (1994)

Jules Winnfield and Vincent Vega are two hitmen who are out to retrieve a suitcase stolen from their employer, mob boss Marsellus Wallace. Wallace has also asked Vincent to take his wife Mia out a few days later when Wallace himself will be out of town. Butch Coolidge is an aging boxer who is paid by Wallace to lose his next fight. The lives of these seemingly unrelated people are woven together comprising of a series of funny, bizarre and uncalled-for incidents. Written by Soumitra

10. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is a 1982 science fiction film co-produced and directed by Steven Spielberg. It tells the story of Elliott (played by Thomas), a lonely boy who befriends a friendly alien, dubbed "E.T.", who is stranded on Earth. Elliott and his siblings help the alien return home while attempting to keep it hidden from their mother and the government.

What!! No lord of the rings!!!!! SIR you cannot be serious!!!!!!:lol::D
I think The Star Wars Hexology is pretty much there with the best. Casablancva needs to be in the top tens, So does Ryans daughter!!!
Araz

you highgek my words sir araz lord of rings is my best movie in life

Last edited by a moderator:
What about:

1. Bridge over River Kwai ( a must for all cadets & young officers).
2. No westerns ( Good Bad & the ugly etc)?
3. Sound Of Music.
5. 633 Squadron / the Dam Busters.
6. Roman Holiday / Casablanca.
7. The scent of a woman.

I do not want to add any more... sounding ancient to myself only ..!!

this is not easy - there have been zillions of great movies. the way i see it is this way:

1. most all JOHN WAYNE movies.

2. THE DEER HUNTER, Robert Di Nero.

3. BREAKER MORANT. (this is a must see)

4. APOCALYPSE NOW. Martin Sheen

5, COOL HAND LUKE. Paul Newman

6. THE STING. Paul Newman & Robert Redford.

7. SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.

8. THE GLADIATOR.

9. BULLITT. Steve McQueen, Jacquline Bisset.

10. GALLIPOLI.

what we need to do is classify them as

top 10 of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and present day.

1. A beautiful mind
2. Gadiator
3. The last samurai
4. E.T.
5. Titanic
6. Forrest Gump
7. Cast away
8. The davinci code
9. Lord of the rings-Trilogy
10. Star wars-Hexalogy
:coffee:

1 Bridge to Terabithia . i have never met a person how has seen this movie and haven't cryed :cry:
2 Blood Diamond
3 The Departed
4 The Last Samurai
5 My Girl

MY fav movies list:

God Father
Green mile
Road to perdition
Scarface
Heat
Catch me if u can
Saw
Phone booth
Far from Home
Saving private Ryan
The recruiter

@tyagi....ur avatar is quite funny:D

Last edited:
In no specific order :

The Message
The Great Escape
The Longest Day
Patton
The Matrix
Planet of the Apes
Saving Private Ryan
Snatch
The Hunt for Red October
Fidler on the Roof/Schindler's List

1. Schindler's List
2. Patton
3. Forrest Gump
4. Matrix (I, II & III)
5. A Beautiful mind.
6. The Pianist
7. We were soldiers
8. Mona Lisa smile
9. Saving private Ryan
10. Kill Bill (I & II)

i can see i am the odd man out (age-wise)

Lord of the Rings
Troy
I am Legend
Friday Night Lights (ok)
Hmm cant think of any more.

Back
Top Bottom