What's new

“Yesterday we had Raptor salad for lunch”

Mr.Wick

Reaction score
Country
India
Farnborough 2012: “Yesterday we had Raptor salad for lunch” Typhoon pilot said after dogfighting with the F-22 at Red Flag Alaska

Although a Royal Air Force Typhoon took part to the daily air display, the most interesting thing at Farnborough International Airshow 2012 was the opportunity to get some more details about the recent participation of the German Air Force Eurofighter Typhoons to the Red Flag.

typhoon.jpg

In fact the last Red Flag-Alaska saw the first attendance by both the U.S. Air Force’s F-22 Raptors and German Air Force Eurofighter Typhoons.

As we have already reported, the Typhoons and the Raptor had the opportunity engage each other in dissimilar air combat training but only a part of the story about the outcome of the mock engagements has been reported so far: the one about the German commander saying that the F-22′s capabilities are “overwhelming,” a statement that, according to Eurofighter sources, was taken out of context.

Indeed, Typhoon pilots at Farnborough said that, when flying without their external fuel tanks, in the WVR (Within Visual Range) arena, the Eurofighter not only held its own, but proved to be better than the Raptor.

Indeed, it looks like the F-22 tends to lose too much energy when using thrust vectoring (TV): TV can be useful to enable a rapid direction change without losing sight of the adversary but, unless the Raptor can manage to immediately get in the proper position to score a kill, the energy it loses makes the then slow moving stealth combat plane quite vulnerable.

This would be coherent by analysis made in the past according to which the TV it’s not worth the energy cost unless the fighter is in the post stall regime, especially in the era of High Off Bore Sight and Helmet Mounted Display (features that the F-22 lacks).

Obviously, U.S. fighter pilots could argue that, flying a stealthy plane they will never need to engage an enemy in WVR dogfight, proving that, as already explained several times, kills and HUD captures scored during air combat training are not particularly interesting unless the actual Rules Of Engagement (ROE) and the training scenario are known.

However, not all the modern and future scenarios envisage BVR (Beyond Visual Range) engagements and the risk of coming to close range 1 vs 1 (or 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3 etc) is still high, especially considered that the F-22 currently uses AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles, whose maximum range is around 100 km (below the Meteor missile used by the Typhoon).

Moreover, at a distance of about 50 km the Typhoon IRST (Infra-Red Search and Track) system is capable to find even a stealthy plane “especially if it is large and hot, like the F-22″ a Eurofighter pilot said.

Anyway, the Typhoons scored several Raptor kills during the Red Flag Alaska. On one day a German pilot, recounting a succesfull mission ironically commented: “yesterday, we have had a Raptor salad for lunch.”

typhoon-landing.jpg

Farnborough 2012: “Yesterday we had Raptor salad for lunch” Typhoon pilot said after dogfighting with the F-22 at Red Flag Alaska « The Aviationist

americans usually keep the specs of their hi-tech planes classified and dont advertise them loud and clear....but since they have bragged so much about this F-22....i am sure this plane is a total failure and they are just trying to justify the funds wasted on this project by giving it a twist and indulging in propoganda warfare...(lies about the potential of this plane just to scare the opponent) .......if typhoon can give it tought time...then that means the Paf vipers that have already shot down typhoons in mock dogfights will surely kill the raptor.

The typhoon is an extremelly potent Air-Air platform since it was designed specifically for Air-Air in mind. It was designed to kill the TVC Su-27 Family series in BVR and WVR. So if it was about killing the F-22 in WVR then that comes to absolutely no surprise.

The problem however arises of wither the Typhoon will get close or not.

sure typhoon can come close to raptor......best would be that 4,5 typhoons intercept 1 raptor.....that will do the job.....

our JF-17 is much better than earlier blocks of F-16's....that took out english typhones in mock dog-fight.....so that means jf-17 can take on raptor..lets see if usaf allows jf-17 in red flag exercise 2013 or they dont allow it pre-emting embarrassment ......its not the gun but the man behind the gun and the will to survive coupled with ideology and cause for which one is fighting...

sure typhoon can come close to raptor......best would be that 4,5 typhoons intercept 1 raptor.....that will do the job.....

our JF-17 is much better than earlier blocks of F-16's....that took out english typhones in mock dog-fight.....so that means jf-17 can take on raptor..lets see if usaf allows jf-17 in red flag exercise 2013 or they dont allow it pre-emting embarrassment ......its not the gun but the man behind the gun and the will to survive coupled with ideology and cause for which one is fighting...

:what::pakistan:

Excuse me sir but I believe you need to read more on military matters, Your knowledge and excuse me for saying is a bit "limited".

in what non-fubar situation would 1 raptor be flying alone with no support whatsoever?

Excuse me sir but I believe you need to read more on military matters, Your knowledge and excuse me for saying is a bit "limited".

sir i dident said that JF-17 is identical to raptor......what i am saying is that in the hands of an experienced pilot anything can happen..dont under-estimate....with a powerful future engine...JF-17 will become more speedy...
like arab israel war.......when PAF pilots shot down israeli planes.........as i said its the man behind the gun...
you will only believe me once the JF-17 makes it to red flag 2013....its a win win for us....if they allow us to participate with JF-17 we will surely make our point....if they dont allow....then these posts of mine will prove that they dident wanted to get embarrassed so thats why they dident allowed it..

in what non-fubar situation would 1 raptor be flying alone with no support whatsoever?

alright if 1 raptor is voilating the airspace of UK then 5 typhoons can intercept it....if 5 are voilating the airspace then 25 typhoons can intercept them....so on and so forth........

Re
americans usually keep the specs of their hi-tech planes classified and dont advertise them loud and clear....but since they have bragged so much about this F-22....i am sure this plane is a total failure and they are just trying to justify the funds wasted on this project by giving it a twist and indulging in propoganda warfare...(lies about the potential of this plane just to scare the opponent) .......if typhoon can give it tought time...then that means the Paf vipers that have already shot down typhoons in mock dogfights will surely kill the raptor.
what the hell are you saying the typhoon has advantages over the raptor propaganda? What! The raptor downed hundred of planes before it got downed I can't debunk your whole statement because I am on my phone lg g2x

Re what the hell are you saying the typhoon has advantages over the raptor propaganda? What! The raptor downed hundred of planes before it got downed I can't debunk your whole statement because I am on my phone lg g2x

come on your desktop first...its not me....german airforce pilot have shot down raptor in mock dogfight.....read the source first.

Whatever the case is ... F-22 Raptor remains the most dominant fighter of our era. Period.

Yeah, right. When it's not choking its pilots, maybe.

F-22 Raptor kill markings shown off by German Eurofighter Typhoons. “The F-22 is not invincible” saga continues. « The Aviationist

theaviationist . com / 2012 / 07 / 23 / f-22-raptor-kill-markings /

As the majority of the readers of The Aviationist already know, there are very different opinions as to the outcomes of the dogfights between the U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptors and the German Air Force Eurofighter Typhoons during the recent Red Flag – Alaska.

Was the F-22 “overwhelming” or was it “salad” for the Eurofighter’s pilots lunch (that recounted several Raptor kills)?

Anyway, as the following photos taken by Dietmar Fenners at Neuburg on Jul. 18 seems to show, the German Air Force is particularly proud of the simulated shot down of several F-22s achieved during the mock engaments.

To such an extent two planes boast some F-22 Raptor kills.

Hence, at least in a (possibly unrealistic) WVR (Within Visual Range) air-to-air engagement with the Typhoon, the Raptor is not invincible.

You use logic of algebra. :)

This is not how things work, many other factors are kept under consideration. Not to mention, newer aircraft do not initially express their maximum/best output unless used in war scenario. JF-17 is under that mode. Do not under-estimate the JF-17 nor over-estimate it.

sir i dident said that JF-17 is identical to raptor......what i am saying is that in the hands of an experienced pilot anything can happen..dont under-estimate....with a powerful future engine...JF-17 will become more speedy...
like arab israel war.......when PAF pilots shot down israeli planes.........as i said its the man behind the gun...
you will only believe me once the JF-17 makes it to red flag 2013....its a win win for us....if they allow us to participate with JF-17 we will surely make our point....if they dont allow....then these posts of mine will prove that they dident wanted to get embarrassed so thats why they dident allowed it..

alright if 1 raptor is voilating the airspace of UK then 5 typhoons can intercept it....if 5 are voilating the airspace then 25 typhoons can intercept them....so on and so forth........

Give me the right situations and I can shoot down the raptor with a well placed rock flying with a parachute. There is a difference between impossible and highly unlikely. I understand your enthusiasm regarding the JF-17 and by all means continue to do so however I hope you understand the difference between Impossible and highly unlikely, because nothing is impossible but there are a whole lotta of highly unlikely stuff.

Back
Top Bottom