Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dear Moderators/Webmaster,

Apparently the webmaster of a site can identify the country from which an IP address originates when someone is actively posting. Could PDF have a program that automatically added the flag or country abbreviation for the IP address location to each posters' sidebar? I think it would be interesting to know not only the countries that posters self-identify with, but also where they are logged on. This does not seem to me to be a privacy burden to any well-meaning person and "might" introduce more honesty into some of the back and forth "discussions". Do others agree that this would be a nice addition to the workings of the PDF?

Where they are posting from is not an issue. But they should be very firm with people who have multiple screen names. These guys must have alot of spare time to be busy with many names.

nice idea but hard to practically implant it and even you add that software than also with the help of your little knowledge about IP address make the software look chu****.

Dear Moderators/Webmaster,

Apparently the webmaster of a site can identify the country from which an IP address originates when someone is actively posting. Could PDF have a program that automatically added the flag or country abbreviation for the IP address location to each posters' sidebar? I think it would be interesting to know not only the countries that posters self-identify with, but also where they are logged on. This does not seem to me to be a privacy burden to any well-meaning person and "might" introduce more honesty into some of the back and forth "discussions". Do others agree that this would be a nice addition to the workings of the PDF?

good point. it will prevent people lying about their locations or hiding behind UN flags to start flame wars.

this will be great but but this will be extra add on and need code to tweaked quite a bit and can raise performance issue if the iP is to calculated for each every post. then all posts on a single page will require to calculate IPs. so better would be to save the data into local active users into a list which can take the ip when the user logs on. but that will require quite a few database tweaks.

hi
and in that case people can always use proxies to hide their real ones :azn:

This is a forums software truthseeker, I doubt such a 'mod' exists that would enable admins to do that

Excellent idea. That will reduce work for the moderators and some people hiding behind other's flags like UN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom