What's new

World’s longest expressway between Delhi and Mumbai to open in March 2023: All you need to know

Cause there is a yearly commissioning record, with exact date and number, which can be checked, do you have a data which everyone can check for 8 lane highways ? please post a link here.
I did say that I may be wrong and media guys might have wanted to say it is the longest 8 lane expressway coz most I’ve found are 4 lane ones in the longest expressway I’ve searched. And agin, I did say I might be wrong.

I may be wrong here, but I feel it is the longest 8 lane expressway is what the news media want to say.
If it is 8 Lane then it just might be the longest 8 Lane expressway, but to make that claim they need to complete it.

I for one do not understand why they will build an eight lane expressway as most of the expressway will run through rural areas where there's barely any traffic to justify eight Lanes.

World's longest highway , seriously ?
I-10 runs from Jacksonville, Florida to San Diego, California, about 2500 miles !

You do know an difference btw highway and an expressway.?
We were ridden with scamgress

Our News media is reporting it as world’s longest expressway
This is what IBEF says, tbh I think they are wrong.
View attachment 803325

They are right. It's an expressway. Our Jammu Kanyakumari NH 45 highway itself is a good 2500km long. And then there is Golden Quadrilateral.
China can now travel from the capital Beijing to Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang province, along the 2,540km highway.

The Beijing-Urumqi Expressway, which links six provinces and regions, opened on Saturday upon completion of three final sections which run through the Gobi desert.

The final of the project cost a reported 17.8 billion yuan (£2bn).

The route is further than the distance from London to Marbella on Spain's Costa del Sol, which stands at 2,295km.

Is it an highway or an expressway? Make your mind.
I think both US and China have dozens of expressways longer than 2000 miles. But still India has the longest, I blame their math teachers.

I am in Canada and road travelled from Calgary to Toronto. We don't have "expressway" here. It's called "highway". Gosh someone has to show dictionary to some ignorants here.
I did say that I may be wrong and media guys might have wanted to say it is the longest 8 lane expressway coz most I’ve found are 4 lane ones in the longest expressway I’ve searched. And agin, I did say I might be wrong.

Forget the trolling. The idiots have no idea on an highway and an expressway.

The project definitely will create employment and it's a nice thing, but wouldn't it have been better to upgrade the railway network between the two cities? I mean, an HSR (even if not a bullet train) between Delhi and Mumbai would make more sense. It is unlikely that given the fuel prices we have, someone would want to drive for 2 days straight at 130+ KMPH, to reach their destination.

Anything India makes/does, it's always the longest/biggest/enormous/gigantic/grandest/the first of its kind/never seen before/never done before/never imagined before.
Gapp ghareeb da pardah.

The project definitely will create employment and it's a nice thing, but wouldn't it have been better to upgrade the railway network between the two cities? I mean, an HSR (even if not a bullet train) between Delhi and Mumbai would make more sense. It is unlikely that given the fuel prices we have, someone would want to drive for 2 days straight at 130+ KMPH, to reach their destination.

It's not exactly 2 cities. The expressway would have entry exit points in probably 8 locations. It can increase industrial estates along the highway. Can develop the whole stretch. That's the point and not just travel for 2 days.

Plus logistics. Trucks can probably deliver in Mumbai port in 3 days. I hope expressway are buit across India in addition to highways.

You do know an difference btw highway and an expressway.?

They are right. It's an expressway. Our Jammu Kanyakumari NH 45 highway itself is a good 2500km long. And then there is Golden Quadrilateral.

Is it an highway or an expressway? Make your mind.

I am in Canada and road travelled from Calgary to Toronto. We don't have "expressway" here. It's called "highway". Gosh someone has to show dictionary to some ignorants here.

Forget the trolling. The idiots have no idea on an highway and an expressway.

OP title says it's an expressway dude.

If it is 8 Lane then it just might be the longest 8 Lane expressway, but to make that claim they need to complete it.

I for one do not understand why they will build an eight lane expressway as most of the expressway will run through rural areas where there's barely any traffic to justify eight Lanes.
Thats why its built, just fyi this expressway is the heart of the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor which will have multiple nodes and industrial hubs along its way.
Its mainly for connectivity along the DMIC

but wouldn't it have been better to upgrade the railway network between the two cities? I mean, an HSR (even if not a bullet train) between Delhi and Mumbai would make more sense.

ByAroosa Ahmed, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
In a move aimed at reducing the travel time between Mumbai and New Delhi by up to three hours, the Western Railway (WR) has started groundwork on projects to increase speed of its outstation trains.
Rajdhani Express, which takes 15 hours, is the fastest train on the Mumbai-Delhi route. The travel time by Rajdhani Express is expected to reduce to 12 hours after increasing its speed to 160 kilometres per hour (kmph) from the current range of 110 -130 kmph, said WR officials.
For the purpose, WR is taking up a slew of infrastructure works at the cost of ₹11,188 crore. Expected to be completed by March 2024, the works include strengthening of railway tracks, laying of geogrids and geotextiles on the route, construction of compound walls along the tracks at several places to prevent trespassing and fitting the train with anti-collision system to avoid accidents.

Of the 1,474 kms between Mumbai and Delhi, WR will be working on increasing the speed between Mumbai Central and Nagda in Madhya Pradesh (693km), Vadodara and Ahmedabad (95km), Nagda and Mathura (545km). The North Central Railway will work to accelerate speed between Mathura and Palwal, Haryana (82km), while the Northern Railway will work on increasing the speed between Palwal and New Delhi (57km).
HT

In a move aimed at reducing the travel time between Mumbai and New Delhi by up to three hours, the Western Railway (WR) has started groundwork on projects to increase speed of its outstation trains.
Rajdhani Express, which takes 15 hours, is the fastest train on the Mumbai-Delhi route. The travel time by Rajdhani Express is expected to reduce to 12 hours after increasing its speed to 160 kilometres per hour (kmph) from the current range of 110 -130 kmph, said WR officials.
For the purpose, WR is taking up a slew of infrastructure works at the cost of ₹11,188 crore. Expected to be completed by March 2024, the works include strengthening of railway tracks, laying of geogrids and geotextiles on the route, construction of compound walls along the tracks at several places to prevent trespassing and fitting the train with anti-collision system to avoid accidents.

Of the 1,474 kms between Mumbai and Delhi, WR will be working on increasing the speed between Mumbai Central and Nagda in Madhya Pradesh (693km), Vadodara and Ahmedabad (95km), Nagda and Mathura (545km). The North Central Railway will work to accelerate speed between Mathura and Palwal, Haryana (82km), while the Northern Railway will work on increasing the speed between Palwal and New Delhi (57km).
HT

Rajdhani is already there. We have all used it at some or the other point. I was talking about something like the Vande Bharat Train-18 and Train-20 variants. Long-distance, but really fast around 260-300 KPH. It doesn't have to be like the 400+KM Shinkansen, but it will definitely go a long way in reducing dependence on just Rajdhani.
It's not exactly 2 cities. The expressway would have entry exit points in probably 8 locations. It can increase industrial estates along the highway. Can develop the whole stretch. That's the point and not just travel for 2 days.

Plus logistics. Trucks can probably deliver in Mumbai port in 3 days. I hope expressway are buit across India in addition to highways.

Personally, I think it would be better to start investing in India's eastern side. I mean come on, why is the entire country so dependent upon JNPT? Instead, building ports and connecting expressways to link them in Odisha and Andhra would mak more sense. Barring Vishakhapattanam, Chennai and Paradip ports, we hardly hear any new major-category ports.

Nhava Sheva is horribly congested and over-utilized, with ships complaining of log-jams for days.

The funny thing is it is not finished yet. Schedule to march 2023? I will check it in 1.5 years. At least I know one 8 line express highway is longer. G4 express highway in China from Beijing to Hubei section is all 8 lanes and the distance is more than 1300 kms. Hunan sections are expanding to 8 lanes too. They may well finish before end of 2022. Then it will be 1800 km. Guangdong section may not be expended because of the tunnels of mountain and also there are 2-3 other alternatives.
G2 is possible all 8 lanes too from Beijing to Shanghai.
But India media is well known for not checking the fact. They called a 11 km long railway tunnel second longest few years ago because when it started(2005) it may be true but it took them too long. By the time it is done, China already built more than 50 of tunnels longer than 14 km.

Last edited:
What are some of the SEZ along the DMIC that this Expressway will serve?

Seems overkill as an eight lane expressway considering the traffic to be served but maybe future-proofing it, who knows. It will be future-proofed for at least fifty years.

Somehow I have a tough time believing that even the one portion of the Golden Quadrilateral between the Delhi to Mumbai Sector had 100% utilization, then they built this.

India will never become the manufacturing juggernaut China was, Indian leaders don't have the resolve and Indian workers don't have the efficiency to pull it off. Indians would be wise to stick to back-office stuff.

Cheap products sold at 99-cent, pound-land and 100 yen stores, maybe. World-beater products, a firm no (at least for now). I am sorry, but anyone who has seen Indian products sold overseas can attest to this.

Last edited:

HT

A better way to prevent incursion/trespass on tracks is of course elevate the line, but that may be too expensive. We have completed this for a small portion near Dhaka for the Padma Bridge Rail link, but the HSR between Dhaka and Chittagong will be built along elevated line most of the way like the images show below, and like the Shinkansen and Chinese railway examples.

131540731_235631804626756_2257224322991474055_n.jpg

131940652_235631777960092_3464866954678892690_n.jpg

131753335_235630751293528_3877197227038355403_n.jpg

131348005_235631847960085_5400543250553177444_n.jpg

The major difference between an expressway and a highway is the access control. Expressways have controlled access where a vehicle can enter it only through a limited place and no other road merges with/crosses the expressway anywhere, thereby avoiding possible accidents. While in the case of highways, there are multiple roads which merge with/cross the highways at many places.

Comparison Table Between Freeway Or Highway and Expressway
Parameters of ComparisonFreeway Or HighwayExpressway
DefinitionThey are to aid homes and businesses.They are urban socializers.
Lanes2-3 lanes 2-8 lanes
Toll polesNot includedIncluded
Motorway standardsIncludedNot included
Signs and signalsNo signs of divergence or traffic signals are involved.Involves signalized intersections and divergences

Big difference from a freeway /highway is not the capacity or the speed but the link to adjoining land. it direct access to almost all the frontages while an expressway to none.

Another thing between a freeway/highway and expressway is the aim for which they are built. A freeway/highway is a service road to provide access to homes, business establishments, and businesses. On the other hand, an expressway is a traffic road in service made mainly for managing the traffic movement at high speeds and volumes.

- In expressways, roads are not multiples, controlled access is there where vehicle can enter through a limited place and no further or other road merges or crosses the expressway anywhere. Due to this the possibility of accidents are also less. But in the case of highways, multiple roads are there which merge with or cross the highways at many places.

- Highway is a generic term given to roadways which connect important cities; towns etc, and usually have 4 lanes to provide high speed traffic. But expressway is a high speed road with little access and consists of several facilities like access ramps, lane dividers etc.

for the debate that is going on you guys can fight who has the longest , just want to point out the difference

Back
Top Bottom