What's new

World's fastest rail journey starts operation

If that's the case why not build maglev trains instead, bullet trains are already reaching their speed limit and may not be able to go any faster, whereas maglev go further with their speed:

From wikipedia:

"the most well known implementation of high-speed maglev technology currently operating commercially is the IOS (initial operating segment) demonstration line of the German-built Transrapid train in Shanghai, China that transports people 30 km (18.6 miles) to the airport in just 7 minutes 20 seconds, achieving a top speed of 431 km/h (268 mph), averaging 250 km/h (160 mph)."

"The highest recorded speed of a Maglev train is 581 kilometres per hour (361 mph), achieved in Japan in 2003, 6 kilometres per hour (3.7 mph) faster than the conventional TGV speed record."

1. Maglev rail has not been large-scale operated. It may cause a high risk to use it in Chinese high speed rail network. Wheel rail is more mature and reliable.
2. Maglev rail is much more expensive than Wheel rail
3. Maglev rail is not compatable with current rail in China.

This last picture is not a chinese train but a british fast track virgin rails train.
This service runs from Ashford to Cannon Street and vice versa it says that on the front as well.
Any how its nice to see china developing.:woot:

Yes, you are absolutely right. Actually by mistake I have taken the photo from this site:

The dawn of a new era in World´s fastest bullet train - What's on xiamen

The site has done the mistake. Anyway, I think, China's model looks better than the British model.

love to read this thread ,no trolling only the achievement of human civilization particularly China in one common voice:angel:

1. Maglev rail has not been large-scale operated. It may cause a high risk to use it in Chinese high speed rail network. Wheel rail is more mature and reliable.
2. Maglev rail is much more expensive than Wheel rail
3. Maglev rail is not compatable with current rail in China.

Maglev trains are a status symbol. And only used for short distances.

To commemorate Taiwan's full re-unification with the mainland, I propose the world's fastest maglev train connect the two. This is in addition to the undersea tunnel (perhaps the train can travel under the sea!!!).:toast_sign::cheers:

Chinese are the amongst best techies and damn good innovators .
I have worked closely with Chinese and I know the perfection they have in their work .

Good Job China ... Keep it up .... :tup::tup::tup:

Why did they decided to develop bullet train when they had the luxury of maglevs.

Why did they decided to develop bullet train when they had the luxury of maglevs.

Maglevs are much more costlier to setup than convectional. Besides, whole new framework has to be established, while bullet can run on already present rail network.

CRH2C and CRH3

No offense, but I heard that the CRH2 is based on the E2 Series Shinkansen and the CRH3 is based on the Siemens' Velaro, so are these two upgraded versions? Or kind of like variations of the previous CRH2 and 3 as in a successor of the previous two? Thanks

First off..... hats off to the chinese for their achievements......Im truly in awe and admiration!!!
This is a slap in the face of the western world that looks down upon the developing nations......

QuicK Question:
I have travelled the Shinkansen in Japan....I believe that the japanese "bullet" trains are powered by electromagnets and although took a lot of money to build, are one of the most cost effective rail lines, especially from an energy conservation outlook....
Are the CRH similar to the Japanese rails in those regards?

Please correct me if my info is wrong in anyway.....

Awesome feat, I shall say. I hope India learns from it, we need to improve our railways a lot.

High-speed Chinese train kicks French, Japanese butt ? The Register

"High-speed Chinese train kicks French, Japanese butt

UK, US not even worth mentioning

By Rik Myslewski in San Francisco • Get more from this author

Posted in Science, 29th December 2009 01:46 GMT

Free whitepaper – SPECjbb2005 performance and power consumption on Dell, HP, and IBM blade servers

China's new high-speed passenger-train service broke world speed records on its maiden run over the weekend.

According to a report in Monday's Financial Times, the Harmony express train travelled from Guangzhou in Guangdong province to the central-China city of Wuhan - a distance of 1,100km (684mi) - in under three hours.

The previous rail service between the two cities took about 11 hours.

The Harmony has a top speed of 394kph (245mph), and during its inaugural run it averaged 350kph (217mph), well faster than the 300kph (186mph) "maximum service speed" of France's TGV and Japan's Shinkansen, aka Bullet Train.

By contrast, the FT points out that it takes the US's Amtrak Acela Express three and a half hours to traverse the 300km from Boston to New York City - although that train has hit 217kph (135mph) in time trials.

China's Harmony express train isn't a mere demonstration project - it's scheduled to make the cross-country trip 56 times per day."

Last edited by a moderator:
First off..... hats off to the chinese for their achievements......Im truly in awe and admiration!!!
This is a slap in the face of the western world that looks down upon the developing nations......

QuicK Question:
I have travelled the Shinkansen in Japan....I believe that the japanese "bullet" trains are powered by electromagnets and although took a lot of money to build, are one of the most cost effective rail lines, especially from an energy conservation outlook....
Are the CRH similar to the Japanese rails in those regards?

Please correct me if my info is wrong in anyway.....
The prototype of CRH2 is Japanese E2-1000. China bought the technologies and made them in China.

Back
Top Bottom