What's new

World's fastest rail journey starts operation

Awesome pics and seems like a wonderful marvel of engineering.

As much as I dislike Communist ideology I like this train/rail network the same.
No matter what we Indians do and no matter who we involve in my personal opinion we cant complete this kind of mega project in a decade. Makes me feel envious and at the same time happy for the people.

Great way to go China, although I somehow wont be able to come to terms with your ideology.

The real Chinese ideology is that "ideologies don't matter".

Awesome pics and seems like a wonderful marvel of engineering.

As much as I dislike Communist ideology I like this train/rail network the same.
No matter what we Indians do and no matter who we involve in my personal opinion we cant complete this kind of mega project in a decade. Makes me feel envious and at the same time happy for the people.

Great way to go China, although I somehow wont be able to come to terms with your ideology.

The real Chinese ideology is that "ideologies don't matter".

washingtonpost.com

"THE OTHER SUPERPOWER
China's lobbying efforts yield new influence, openness on Capitol Hill

By John Pomfret
Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ten years ago, U.S. lawmakers publicly accused the China Ocean Shipping Co. of being a front for espionage and blocked plans to expand its Long Beach, Calif., port terminal over fears that Chinese spies would use it to snoop on the United States.
This Story

THE OTHER SUPERPOWER: As China rises, so does its influence on the Hill
China's expanding influence on Congress

By last year, Congress was seeing the state-owned Chinese behemoth in a far kinder light. Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) authored a resolution applauding the company for employing thousands of Americans and helping keep the waters of Alaska clean. Rep. Stephen F. Lynch (D-Mass.) hailed the firm on the House floor, calling its chief executive "a people's ambassador" to the United States after it rescued Boston's port -- and thousands of jobs -- when a European shipping line moved out.

The congressional about-face illustrates a dramatic increase in China's influence on Capitol Hill, where for years its lobbying muscle never matched its ballooning importance in world affairs. Members of Congress, lobbyists and other observers said China's new prominence is largely the result of Beijing's increasingly sophisticated efforts to influence events at the center of U.S. power -- and a growing realization among U.S. lawmakers that China has become a critical economic player across America.

Although many Americans still view China with deep suspicion because of its communist system and human rights record, the results of Beijing's image-and-influence campaign are clear. Members of Congress "are starting to understand that the Chinese are not communist but that the Chinese are Chinese," said Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.). China is Oregon's biggest export market after Canada."

China to invest 823.5 bln yuan in railways in 2010 - People's Daily Online 15:10, January 11, 2010

In 2010, China will launch 70 new railway projects and allocate a total of 823.5 billion yuan to fixed asset investments in the railway industry, of which 700 billion yuan will be invested in infrastructure construction, reporters learned from the recently held National Railway Working Conference. There are plans to build 3,690 kilometers of new railway tracks and 3,150 kilometers of double-track lines.

The total length of China's operational railways will exceed 90,000 kilometers by the end of 2010, and 1,669 kilometers of passenger railway lines will be built this year. By then, China's high-speed railway mileage will reach nearly 4,000 kilometers. A railway transportation system featuring high density, speed and capacity, and low energy consumption will redefine the lives of ordinary residents and regional economic landscapes.

It is estimated that China's railway passenger volume in 2010 will reach 1.64 billion, an increase of 7.6 percent year-on-year. The total railway freight volume will reach 3.5 billion tons, an increase of 5.4 percent year-on-year. The total revenue of railway transportation will reach 42.5 billion yuan, an increase of 12.5 percent year-on-year.

By People's Daily Online

China to build Xi'an-Chengdu high-speed railway - People's Daily Online Jan 16 2010

A high-speed railway linking Xi'an with Chengdu has won approval from the National Development and Reform Commission, the nation's top economic planning agency, the China Railway First Survey and Design Institute said Friday.

The railway has a designed speed of over 250km/h. It will help to cut the travel time between the two major cities in western China to less than three hours from current 13 hours, the designer said.

It includes a 519-km section between Xi'an, home to the terracotta warriors in Shaanxi Province, and Jiangyou in Sichuan Province, and another 130-km section linking Jiangyou with Chengdu,the Sichuan provincial capital.

Construction on the Xi'an-Jiangyou line will start this year, the institute said, without giving a timetable. The Jiangyou-Chengdu line has been under construction for over a year.

The Xi'an-Chengdu railway, which costs about 68.8 billion yuan (10 billion U.S. dollars), is the first rail route to run through the Qinling Mountains, and is scheduled to be completed in 2014, the designer said. It will have 135 km traversing the Qinling Mountains area, including 127 km tunnels.
Source: Xinhua :china::cheers::china:

Chinese are really good at building infrastructure. I recently got to see the track that they are laying for a fast train between Nanjing and Shanghai. Everything is very efficient and also with a lot of foresight for needs that may arise over the next years. Fantastic developments.

Edit: Need to add that the fast city train at Shanghai is too good. One needs to take a ride to believe it. You never feel the speed while sitting inside.

Edit: Also have to add that the trains from H.K to Shenzen and also from Shenzen to Guangzhou are very convenient. Not very fast but efficient and comfortable and punctual to the last minute. The whole experience is too good.....

Last edited:
Are you talking about the Maglev in Shanghai. Nope I wouldn't call it a train. That thing is good but too expensive. If you can reach 400km on traditional rails, why spend so much on a Maglev?

As for Shenzhen/Hong Kong KCR rail, haha that's the really old stuff. Hong Kong is still debating wether to build a new rail extension to connect better with the mainland.

Chinese are really good at building infrastructure. I recently got to see the track that they are laying for a fast train between Nanjing and Shanghai. Everything is very efficient and also with a lot of foresight for needs that may arise over the next years. Fantastic developments.

Edit: Need to add that the fast city train at Shanghai is too good. One needs to take a ride to believe it. You never feel the speed while sitting inside.

Edit: Also have to add that the trains from H.K to Shenzen and also from Shenzen to Guangzhou are very convenient. Not very fast but efficient and comfortable and punctual to the last minute. The whole experience is too good.....

Are you talking about the Maglev in Shanghai. Nope I wouldn't call it a train. That thing is good but too expensive. If you can reach 400km on traditional rails, why spend so much on a Maglev?

Before saying its expensive, please consider the maintenance costs...

1st high-speed railway in west China finishes trial operation - People's Daily Online

The first high-speed passenger railway in western China, which links Xi'an with Zhengzhou, finished trial operation Thursday, the designer said.

The trial train finished the 505-km journey in 1 hour and 48 minutes at a speed of up to 352 km/h, said Bai Cuncang, the railway's chief engineer.

The line will help shorten the travel time between the two major cities to less than two hours from current six hours, according to the China Railway First Survey and Design Institute.

Xi'an, capital of Shaanxi province, is home to the terracotta warriors. Zhengzhou is the capial of central Henan province.

The line, part of a major east-west railway artery between Xuzhou and Lanzhou, cost about 35.3 billion yuan (5.2 billion U.S. dollars). It includes a 79.7-km Weihe river bridge, the longest among existing bridges nationwide.

The timetable of formal operation is yet to be decided, Bai said.

Source: Xinhua:china:

Back
Top Bottom