What's new

World War II Indian heroism recalled in Egypt

the word india was used in west to denote subcontinent since ancient times just like the term hindustan used in middle east/central asia and tianzhu was used in east asia while inhabitants of this land used to call it bharat

If the word is used in this era, we have to use this era's meaning. Irrelevant what India meant a hundred years ago, hindustan still is accurate

If the word is used in this era, we have to use this era's meaning. Irrelevant what India meant a hundred years ago, hindustan still is accurate

now a days indians frequently use india or bharat usage of word hindustan is a bit rare probably only used by some muslim communities

Coward Niazi may have been decorated by the British during Burma campaign when he was only a Lieutenant. However it is easy to follow orders and command a platoon. Fighting a war as leader of nearly one lakh soldiers is a different matter. Anyone who has read Hamoodur Rahman report will understand that Lt Gen Niazi was no tiger. In fact he was an incompetent cowardly general who was, is and will remain a black sheep responsible for the most ignominious defeat of the Pakistan Army.

We need another coward Niazi like we need a hole in the head.

PS.

Justice Hamood ur Rahman (Chief Justice of Supreme Court of Pakistan) Commission was formed by ZAB to investigate reasons of the East Pakistan debacle. Commission included Justice Sh. Anwarul Haq & Justice Tufail Abdur Rahman, with retired Lt Gen Altaf Qadir as military advisor.

The report was result of diligent interviews of 300 witnesses and analysis of hundreds of classified army communications between GHQ and East Pakistan Command. The conclusions are therefore based on facts.

Report was also highly critical of the role played by ZAB and the Peoples Party Thus, even though ordered by ZA Bhutto himself; the final report submitted submitted in October 1974 was kept under wraps for 26 years until declassified by Musharraf in December 2000.

Okay, thanks for all of this information but i wasn't disputing the fact that he was responsible for war crimes or his incompetency in 1971. I merely pointed out that unfortunately, there were Muslim soldiers who served the british occupiers in WW2.

Okay, thanks for all of this information but i wasn't disputing the fact that he was responsible for war crimes or his incompetency in 1971. I merely pointed out that unfortunately, there were Muslim soldiers who served the british occupiers in WW2.

Khan abhii tukkk naraaaz hai ! :cry:

and for what??? serving british empire like a slave

i dont think these guys should be celebrated, because the reality is we are free in literal terms from the british empire, we should remember these days are dark ages of SA

idiot if britain would have been defeated and axis powers would have managed conquer entire asia then as per axis plans we would have been under japanese occupation and trust me going through their acts in other regions they would have been far worse than britishers. Joining the war on the side of allies was in our best interest
Axis power negotiations on the division of Asia during World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, then how is this different from the Capitalist, Western Allied dominated Asia (and other regions of the world) and the Communist dominated Asia (and other regions of the world).

Asia still ended up being divided into spheres of influence didn't it? And as a result more wars, bloodshed, and mass murders continued even though Hitler and Nazi Germany, the "epitome of evil" were wiped off from the face of the earth.

Khan abhii tukkk naraaaz hai ! :cry:

Facts like these would make anyone disappointed.

It surprises and saddens me to read comments that decry the services of Muslim, Hindu , Sikh soldiers who fought & served the Brit IA.

One would expect a higher level of maturity from posters who join a Military Forum. To put things in perspective the following needs to be noted

1. Back then industry was no where near what it is today and soldiering was the only profession available to the rural young man.

2. Job security was assured, salary , pension & medical benefits was guaranteed along with this came respect locally and from the district administration so solve local issues on priority - my family has 1st hand experience of this.

3. What other options existed for a rural youth ? None. They enrolled after passing class 5 and got ' wazifas' when they retired.

4. It was simply a case of following a family tradition that existed for generations. In my family the fourth generation now serves the IA / IAF.

5. The salary these soldiers earned was remitted home & that helped the economy.

I mean what wrong did these men do ? They left the home & land to fight & die in a distant unpronounceable land. They too would have loved to roam the streets of Lahore, Lucknow, Mysore,Madras , Amritsar or Jodhpur. They didnt coz they had no options and a family to feed.

Its not that they were exploited by the Brit IA, Brit officers & later ( Post 1938) Brit Indian officers died and fought along with them. during WW2 . Cariappa was a CO back in 1942 - commanding Brit Officers as well.

I wish we would tone down the rhetoric.

Back
Top Bottom