What's new

Women Come Out in Numbers to Support Taliban and Sharia law

Salaam

I know women who observe the face veil. They wear it when they go out of their homes in markets and public places.

Usually at home they get plenty of sun, if they want to.

You have to remember, burka type dress is worn in public, not in the privacy of home in most cases.
It seems the modern housing doesn't help them get sun when they are at home. Comparing to muslim men, muslim women are dispropotionally high in vitamin D deficiency. I hope shariah law also requests husbands to make sure their homes get plenty of sun for their wives. Don't just request women to do their part without a backup.

In the UK with our low intensity sun, many people take vit D supplements. My Nigerian GP was saying that African and Asian skin struggles to take in the required amount with the low intensity sun.
Here in Canada, it is even worse. We only have a short summer when sunlight is like gold. I usually feel sorry for two types of folks in my neighborhood. The black folks who are REALLY black and the muslim women who cover themselves completely. Regular Canada suburbs don't have secluded court yards. Likely your backyard is under the direct view of your neighbor's upper windows.
People in the west and especially Israel suffer from skin cancer and too much Vitamin D. You don't need a high daily intake. Just a little.
Probably those Jews who live in northern europe for many generations move down to Israel without sufficient lifestyle adjustment. However, one cannot use one extreme to justify the other extreme. I am also sure you care more about muslim women than Jews. ;)

Huston we have got a problem, too many burka clad women with new flags are on the move. We are putting cameras on the down time and charging the batteries till the women with the shades to come out as there numbers will be low. 😁

Regardless of where you live, Afghanistan or Florida, majority of us are deficient in vitamin D.

I am curious about vitamin D level in women living under sharia law.

I like the joke.. it's actually funny.

But I also need to educate you on ground realities. Afghanistan get hot as hell in summers where average temperature is between 36-44 degree centigrade. And the summer lasts for almost 5.5-6 months. We are near border and it's common for is to have temperature as high as 44-46 degree Celsius.

Plus, living style is different from Europe or Canada/US where you have all the covered areas allotted to the house only and have a garden which is easily accessible by foot for pedestrians and neighbours. Here in Afghanistan case, house designs are different. Majority houses are built like this

Rooms in one line, 12-14 feet shade Infront of rooms open area and a boundary wall which cover all the covered and non covered are of the bouse. The boundary wall is 9-13.5 inches in width, 10-16 feet high and is made of strong bricks covered by plaster. So there is no chance of someone looking at the ladies in their house. Ladies use the open area of the house too where they can easily get "enough" vitamin D.

This is a typical house that you will find in 75-80% of Afghanistan. Not necessarily in this much bad condition. Majority times the rooms have a good finishing as well as P.C.C or brick floor in the house.
images (1).jpeg

For some reason South Asians in general have Vitamin D deficiency the wife and I were tested for it while we're going through fertility tests and both came back below the levels and were put on 50,000 UI every other week.

I was kind of surprised for myself as I'm usually outside and do lots of cardio summer time and stuff.

I like the joke.. it's actually funny.

But I also need to educate you on ground realities. Afghanistan get hot as hell in summers where average temperature is between 36-44 degree centigrade. And the summer lasts for almost 5.5-6 months. We are near border and it's common for is to have temperature as high as 44-46 degree Celsius.

Plus, living style is different from Europe or Canada/US where you have all the covered areas allotted to the house only and have a garden which is easily accessible by foot for pedestrians and neighbours. Here in Afghanistan case, house designs are different. Majority houses are built like this

Rooms in one line, 12-14 feet shade Infront of rooms open area and a boundary wall which cover all the covered and non covered are of the bouse. The boundary wall is 9-13.5 inches in width, 10-16 feet high and is made of strong bricks covered by plaster. So there is no chance of someone looking at the ladies in their house. Ladies use the open area of the house too where they can easily get "enough" vitamin D.

This is a typical house that you will find in 75-80% of Afghanistan. Not necessarily in this much bad condition. Majority times the rooms have a good finishing as well as P.C.C or brick floor in the house.
View attachment 776504
Yeah, another friend also educated me on this court yard configuration, which I appreciated very much. As of the hot temperature, I notice many Muslim men wear white robes, not black robes. Presumably black robes are bad for hot weather, aren't they? If Muslim women need to cover themselves head to toe, shouldn't they also wear white robes?

I am curious about vitamin D level in women living under sharia law.

Well considering we have been around for over 1400 years and with the fastest birth rate and fertility... I guess Vitamin D is at 100%

Yeah, another friend also educated me on this court yard configuration, which I appreciated very much. As of the hot temperature, I notice many Muslim men wear white robes, not black robes. Presumably black robes are bad for hot weather, aren't they? If Muslim women need to cover themselves head to toe, shouldn't they also wear white robes?

I am no hardliner and don't believe in forcing someone to cover themselve just as I am not fan of France which is forcing its Muslim citizens to abonden it. This should be optional. That being said, yes. Dark colours attract more heat while light colours are usually a bit colder than them. Burqa also came in different cultures. The one you see in pictures is the modern form of burqa which came in this part of the world ( Pakistan + Afghanistan ) some 20-25 years ago. Before that there was a design used which is called shuttlecock burqa.

This is shuttlecock burqa.
images (2).jpeg

images (5).jpeg

As you can see colors are available. In this old shuttlecock design as well as the modern burqa concept. But the shuttlecock burqa is almost obsolete in Pakistan but still exist in Afghanistan. In Pakistan now almost 90%+ ladies wear the modern form of burqa.

The modern design is called "abaya". It's more fashionable.. here are some pictures.

images (9).jpeg

images (8).jpeg

images (7).jpeg

images (6).jpeg

Conclusion : Options are available in design as well as colors. There is no fixed standards for a burqa/Abaya. It can be tight or it can be loose, it can be black and it can be white or even multi color.
If Muslim women need to cover themselves head to toe, shouldn't they also wear white robes?

There are different school of thought in Islam. One consider Parda as covering full head to toe while the other allow exposure of face and just require to cover remaining body and head.

Again... You have options......... ........

Last edited:
I am no hardliner and don't believe in forcing someone to cover themselve just as I am not fan of France which is forcing its Muslim citizens to abonden it. This should be optional. That being said, yes. Dark colours attract more heat while light colours are usually a bit colder than them. Burqa also came in different cultures. The one you see in pictures is the modern form of burqa which came in this part of the world ( Pakistan + Afghanistan ) some 20-25 years ago. Before that there was a design used which is called shuttlecock burqa.

This is shuttlecock burqa.
View attachment 776513

View attachment 776514..

As you can see colors are available. In this old shuttlecock design as well as the modern burqa concept. But the shuttlecock burqa is almost obsolete in Pakistan but still exist in Afghanistan. In Pakistan now almost 90%+ ladies wear the modern form of burqa.

The modern design is called "abaya". It's more fashionable.. here are some pictures.

View attachment 776515

View attachment 776516

View attachment 776517

View attachment 776518

Conclusion : Options are available in design as well as colors. There is no fixed standards for a burqa/Abaya. It can be tight or it can be loose, it can be black and it can be white or even multi color.

There are different school of thought in Islam. One consider Parda as covering full head to toe while the other allow exposure of face and just require to cover remaining body and head.

Again... You have options......... ........
Personally, I think what they dress is fairly beautiful, like the last of your pictures shows, except that not seeing the face is a bit annoying. I imagine a scenario where mothers go to the school to pick up their children. If all mothers are covered head-to-toe, even faces, if they wear the same color, children may have a hard time figuring out who is whose mother. :D Or each may have to put up a sign with a name written on it. Much like how people pick up arriving travelers at airports. :D

During normal daily life, women should expose their faces, unless their faces are fearfully ugly, like Darth Vader, whom I am always reminded whenever I see a Muslim women with complete coverage.

Last edited:
Here in Canada, it is even worse. We only have a short summer when sunlight is like gold. I usually feel sorry for two types of folks in my neighborhood. The black folks who are REALLY black and the muslim women who cover themselves completely. Regular Canada suburbs don't have secluded court yards. Likely your backyard is under the direct view of your neighbor's upper windows.

Probably those Jews who live in northern europe for many generations move down to Israel without sufficient lifestyle adjustment. However, one cannot use one extreme to justify the other extreme. I am also sure you care more about muslim women than Jews. ;)
In our part of the world, the boundary between culture and religion is a blurry one. I can however talk about this from the scientific lens. While studying medicine we did indeed learn about this issue. It is sadly true that the rate of Vit D deficiency in women from our regions tends to be higher, including Chinese women. The desire to have whiter skin is prevalent in people of Asia, including Chinese. Now when you add to it the cultural practices of Indian subcontinent the problem gets further compounded.

Similarly the problem of lack of sunlight shows up in many other contexts as well. Especially here in Canada due to the angle of the sun, we only really get good sunlight during the 3 to 4 months of summer. So this is the time we produce the most Vit D. By the time winter rolls around the Vit D levels are often depleted. And this lack of sunlight also gives rise to another problem known as the winter blues, or properly called seasonal affective disorder.

So as you can see, the human issue with Vit D and sunlight is quite varied. Affecting people from nearly all backgrounds in different ways. Some cultural, some religious and some just by the virtue of living in the freezer here in Canada. However women who cover themselves can mitigate the effect with supplements or getting sun in somewhat a private setting. Keeping in mind that men in Islam would also be required to not show skin in public. It works both ways. Similarly since the problem is not limited to just to muslim women, other women who don't go in the sun in Asian countries due to being afraid of getting darker would also require supplementation.

Its quite unfair for you to raise the issue just for muslim women while not bringing to attention the rest. There are so many issues related to sun, including cancers due to lack of covering your skin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom