Wirral boatyard signs £16m Pakistan coastguard patrol boat deal

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

4 Jul 2013

McTay Marine welcome delegation from Pakistan to seal the deal.McTay Marine in Bromborough has won a contract to supply fast patrol boats to Pakistan. L-R Cllr John Salter, Eddie Dybel(MD McTay Marine), Brigadier General Shehzad Akhlar

McTay Marine boatyard in Wirral is set to sign a multimillion pound deal to provide high-speed patrol boats to the Pakistan coastguard.

Bromborough-based McTay Marine this week hosted a delegation from Pakistan and – along with boat designers Alucatz – hope to clinch even more international deals soon.

Cmdr Agha Gul Zaman, who commands the marine wing of the Pakistan coastguard and is a technical advisor, said: ‘‘The UK has a great history in the maritime sector and the quality of engineering is really good, the best in Europe and the world.

“McTay make good vessels and has a history of making good vessels – and they also meet our requirements.’’

Eddie Dybell, the managing director of McTay, said the order, which is being finalised, includes four interceptors powered by a lightweight jet engine, fuel efficient and capable of 60 knots, and around a dozen rigid inflatable craft – and is expected to be worth £10 to 16m.

McTay is now building a new aluminium workshop to cope with the additional work and Mr Dybell said they expect to double their current staff of 24.

Andrew Reyland, from Alucatz, said: "The new turbine engines will revolutionise patrol boats. They are extremely light and small – and fast. Our 24-metre boat, I would say, is the fastest of its type in the world. and we have another smaller one on the drawing board, a 16.5m catamaran which can do 13o knots ... although I don't know who is going to drive it."

He also said they were in talks with coastguards from more countries, including Saudi Arabia, Ghana and the Sri Lankan navy.

The director general of the Pakistan Coastguard, Brigadier General Shehzad Akhlar, said he “looks forward to having co-operation with the team here for years to come".

While visiting the yard, he also showed interest in a Wirral-designed multi-purpose vessel – a tug – just being completed by McTay for the Eastham-based Carmet Tug Company and set to begin working on the Mersey.

Along with Wirral South MP Alison McGovern the Mayor of Wirral, Cllr David Mitchell, was among those welcoming the Pakistan delegation. He said: "This is a fantastic opportuni- ty to support a local firm that is doing great business not just locally, but internationally, and I'm pleased they are using apprentices."

Cllr John Salter, who has played a key role in helping secure the deal and bringing Alucatz to Wirral Waters, said: “Ultimately, my job is to help attract jobs to the area and while the number is small at the moment I’m confident this is going to expand much more.”

why Karachi shipyard doesnt make these very simple stuff?

they can make boats and import engines from overses, and what happened to petrol boats from turkey?

i'm sure the shipyard is busy doing other projects like the tug boats, and the replenishment ship?

then why not increase the capacity, i mean importing costs a lot, and making locally also makes pakistani self reliant?

True, but i guess they figured to let go of this one.
The good thing is that they're at least making big ships themselves now

"In addition, a Fast Attack Missile Craft and a 32-ton Tug are also under construction which will be handed over to PN as per the contractual schedule.
The ceremony was attended by a large number of PN officers, engineers and technicians of Karachi Shipyard."

The article is from march 2013!
Meaning maybe a few more FAC on our way!

Pakistan Navy gets two pusher tugs

why Karachi shipyard doesnt make these very simple stuff?

they can make boats and import engines from overses, and what happened to petrol boats from turkey?

Because they're not as simple as they sound. You read the article, it says "lightweight jet engines" are needed, and very few countries produce such things, Pakistan is not one of them. Until Pakistan can develop and produce such engines, Pakistan's only choice is to go foreign.

Pakistan Navy has acquired and increased its capabilities much but Coast guard just used old retired ships from PN or other countries…
Its good that they are going for best available fast petrol boat available……:tup:

GAV010713MCTAYSMARINE-7-4866258.jpg

ooohhhhhj.:unsure: This looks like my dream gal :smokin:

GAV010713MCTAYSMARINE-2-4866256.jpg

2 guyzz shaking hand
don't worry it's normal they ain't gay but the 3rd one staring at camera man…I am not sure about him:rofl:

4 Jul 2013

McTay Marine welcome delegation from Pakistan to seal the deal.McTay Marine in Bromborough has won a contract to supply fast patrol boats to Pakistan. L-R Cllr John Salter, Eddie Dybel(MD McTay Marine), Brigadier General Shehzad Akhlar

McTay Marine boatyard in Wirral is set to sign a multimillion pound deal to provide high-speed patrol boats to the Pakistan coastguard.

Bromborough-based McTay Marine this week hosted a delegation from Pakistan and – along with boat designers Alucatz – hope to clinch even more international deals soon.

Cmdr Agha Gul Zaman, who commands the marine wing of the Pakistan coastguard and is a technical advisor, said: ‘‘The UK has a great history in the maritime sector and the quality of engineering is really good, the best in Europe and the world.

“McTay make good vessels and has a history of making good vessels – and they also meet our requirements.’’

Eddie Dybell, the managing director of McTay, said the order, which is being finalised, includes four interceptors powered by a lightweight jet engine, fuel efficient and capable of 60 knots, and around a dozen rigid inflatable craft – and is expected to be worth £10 to 16m.

McTay is now building a new aluminium workshop to cope with the additional work and Mr Dybell said they expect to double their current staff of 24.

Andrew Reyland, from Alucatz, said: "The new turbine engines will revolutionise patrol boats. They are extremely light and small – and fast. Our 24-metre boat, I would say, is the fastest of its type in the world. and we have another smaller one on the drawing board, a 16.5m catamaran which can do 13o knots ... although I don't know who is going to drive it."

He also said they were in talks with coastguards from more countries, including Saudi Arabia, Ghana and the Sri Lankan navy.

The director general of the Pakistan Coastguard, Brigadier General Shehzad Akhlar, said he “looks forward to having co-operation with the team here for years to come".

While visiting the yard, he also showed interest in a Wirral-designed multi-purpose vessel – a tug – just being completed by McTay for the Eastham-based Carmet Tug Company and set to begin working on the Mersey.

Along with Wirral South MP Alison McGovern the Mayor of Wirral, Cllr David Mitchell, was among those welcoming the Pakistan delegation. He said: "This is a fantastic opportuni- ty to support a local firm that is doing great business not just locally, but internationally, and I'm pleased they are using apprentices."

Cllr John Salter, who has played a key role in helping secure the deal and bringing Alucatz to Wirral Waters, said: “Ultimately, my job is to help attract jobs to the area and while the number is small at the moment I’m confident this is going to expand much more.”

so this is the lollipop from David Cameroon's visit to Pakistan.

4 Jul 2013

Really PN haven't seen any major enhancement since 2-3 decades. I think this was the time that Coast Guards should be handed over to PN so that they can counter it better. Also KS&EW should be given the money to do JV with Turkish firm in order to produce small and medium size boats that are required by PN, Marines and coast guards along with other vessels like Coast guard 500-700 tons vessels and 1100-1400 tons vessels along with like Mine Hunters, STUS, Survey vessels, Dredgers, Tugs, 15600 tons and 21000 tons Logistical and Tanker ships for PN as well along with hover crafts.

Its not as simple as you make it sound and secondly you don't increase capacity to overcome temporary overload, that is simply financially not viable. Most importantly by importing you get your hands on latest western technology and then try to incorporate that in your future acquisitions with the help of other friends :)

then why not increase the capacity, i mean importing costs a lot, and making locally also makes pakistani self reliant?

Sounds suspicious!! Pakistani Officials always like a foreign hop to give the illusions of a ''deal''!! The Government does not have the money for Pakistan Navy priority projects so where the hell is it going to fund these expensive boats from the UK?

Sounds suspicious!! Pakistani Officials always like a foreign hop to give the illusions of a ''deal''!! The Government does not have the money for Pakistan Navy priority projects so where the hell is it going to fund these expensive boats from the UK?

XYON sahab,,, app ko kisi din MI nai utha kar lai jana hai

Back
Top Bottom