What's new

Will Chinese Smartphones Surpass Established Brands in Sales?

@levina don't waste my time over smartphone. It is out of your league and your wacky observation is not worthy to talk about. Let the experts review and have benchmark testing to show the difference.
You luv bringing me back to this thread dont you???
I had made my last post on this thread some 4 days back.
Let me make it LOUD and CLEAR that I am not interrsted in banging my head against a wall.
I am happy with what I've in my hand.And am pretty confident about its quality and performance.
I dont give a flying boeing 747 to what others think about it.

Last edited:
^I love the Nubia 5 look, especially the creamy white version. It's sexy and stylist design. Would love to get my hand on one. I will probably ask my relative to ship over one to test out.

@levina don't waste my time over smartphone. It is out of your league and your wacky observation is not worthy to talk about. Let the experts review and have benchmark testing to show the difference.

Sales of this particular model doubled over night.:coffee::D

China's Huawei aims to double last year's record revenue by 2018

By Yimou Lee and Paul Carsten

SHENZHEN/BEIJING Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:33am EDT

r

A man looks at a Huawei mobile phone as he shops at an electronic market in Shanghai January 22, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Carlos Barria

SHENZHEN/BEIJING (Reuters) - China's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd has targeted 2018 revenue almost double the record reaped last year when the company booked 34 percent profit growth and became the world's third-biggest smartphone manufacturer.

Huawei has been flooding emerging markets with low-priced smartphones and tapping advanced economies with high-end offerings to make up for slowing growth in its primary business of building mobile telephone networks.

Smartphones last year contributed the most to revenue growth in yuan terms and are likely to feature prominently in reaching a revenue target which translates as roughly 10 percent annual growth.

To reach that target, the company will have to improve on 2013 when revenue hit a record yet grew at a pace slower than Huawei's 10 percent goal primarily because overseas companies spent less on networks.

Huawei also missed its smartphone sales target as local peers Lenovo Group and ZTE Corp pursued similar strategies to close the gap with leaders Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co.

"In 2014, we are aiming our sales efforts at improving our branding image," Eric Xu, Huawei's rotating and current chief executive, said on Monday.

"At the same time, we are going to build our (smartphone) product portfolio in the mid-range and high level," Xu said after the unlisted company released audited earnings results.

In 2013, revenue hit a record 239 billion yuan ($38.47 billion), helping operating profit land within Huawei's guidance range, and pushing net profit up 34.4 percent to 21 billion yuan - its quickest profit growth in four years.

Revenue grew 18 percent in Huawei's consumer division, which includes smartphone manufacturing, and the company expects a similar rate of growth this year.

In the enterprise division, which builds private networks for companies and organizations, revenue grew 32 percent thanks to companies investing heavily in cloud and mobile computing.

Revenue in the carrier network business - which accounts for about 70 percent of overall income - grew just 4 percent. Huawei aims to double that to 8 percent this year as carriers increase investment in 4G, particularly in China.

Overall, Huawei targets revenue of $70 billion by 2018, or annual growth of about 10 percent, executives said at the press conference.

Growth was 8.6 percent last year rather than the targeted 10 percent, and smartphone shipments reached 52 million handsets instead of the 60 million handset goal.

"BUSINESS AS USUAL"

Huawei smartphone sales last year barely made a dent in the U.S., the second-biggest market, where lawmakers have flagged Chinese telecommunications equipment as potential security risks.

Earlier this month, the New York Times and Der Spiegel cited documents leaked by former U.S. security contractor Edward Snowden as saying the National Security Agency accessed Huawei's servers and obtained sensitive data.

After the latest reports, Huawei "maintained calm" and operated "business as usual", said Xu. "If the New York Times report is true, I think we will have known about this long ago."

One of the goals of the NSA operation was to find any connection between Huawei and the Chinese People's Liberation Army, according to a 2010 document cited by the Times.

"Nobody has ever said that Huawei has the capacity to spy on the U.S. network and things like that," said Xu. "For a business organization, no one would be so unwise as to do such a thing.

"The whole focus point of all the ongoing discussion is the concern that the Chinese government may leverage Huawei's equipment (for spying)," Xu said. "I think it will take a lot of effort to address (allegations that Huawei has the capacity to spy)." ($1 = 6.2122 Chinese Yuan)

(Editing by Christopher Cushing)

China's Huawei aims to double last year's record revenue by 2018| Reuters

Last edited:
China’s Xiaomi shipped 11m smartphones in first three months of 2014, aims for 60m by year end

%E5%B0%8F%E7%B1%B3%E6%89%8B%E6%9C%BA3-786x305.jpg

ffc7cd1fa4815b7a258720d45df59eab

Kaylene Hong

31 March '14, 08:56am

In an indication of the rising popularity of Xiaomi devices, the Chinese smartphone manufacturer has announced that it shipped 11 million smartphones in the first quarter of this year.

For comparison, Xiaomi sold 18.7 million smartphones in 2013, up 160 percent from a year earlier and more than its initial target of 15 million devices. Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun earlier stated that the company expects to ship 40 million smartphones for 2014, but says now that it could reach 60 million units instead. He also expects Xiaomi to ship 100 million smartphones next year.:enjoy:

The rise in shipments is no doubt being aided by Xiaomi’s global expansion — the red-hot smartphone maker quietly expanded sales into Hong Kong and Taiwan, and more recently took a first step outside of Greater China by moving into Singapore. The company’s international ambitions have been driven by high-profile former Google VP Hugo Barra — and now VP for Xiaomi Global. There are plans to bring Xiaomi devices into other Southeast Asian markets next, and there are also indications that the company is looking into India, as well as Latin America.

Lei didn’t reveal any specific sales figures for the first quarter, but did say that revenue was up by 150 percent from the same quarter a year earlier — and if the trend continues, the company could hit CNY80 billion ($12.9 billion) in sales for the full year of 2014. He noted though, that a more plausible milestone would be CNY70 billion ($11.2 billion). The figure isn’t indicative of profit, but it is still remarkable considering that Xiaomi released its first device as recently as 2011.

As Xiaomi continues its march overseas, it looks set to perform beyond expectations in 2014 — given that its handsets will probably be in high demand by price-conscious customers in emerging markets. Xiaomi has made a name for itself smartphones packed with high-end specs but at lower prices compared to other Android phone manufacturers including Samsung and HTC. For example, in Singapore, the budget Redmi costs just S$169 ($134), while Xiaomi’s flagship Mi 3 has a price tag of S$419 ($332) unlocked.

Headline image via Xiaomi

China's Xiaomi Shipped 11M Smartphones In Q1 2014

China’s Xiaomi shipped 11m smartphones in first three months of 2014, aims for 60m by year end

%E5%B0%8F%E7%B1%B3%E6%89%8B%E6%9C%BA3-786x305.jpg

ffc7cd1fa4815b7a258720d45df59eab

Kaylene Hong

31 March '14, 08:56am

In an indication of the rising popularity of Xiaomi devices, the Chinese smartphone manufacturer has announced that it shipped 11 million smartphones in the first quarter of this year.

For comparison, Xiaomi sold 18.7 million smartphones in 2013, up 160 percent from a year earlier and more than its initial target of 15 million devices. Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun earlier stated that the company expects to ship 40 million smartphones for 2014, but says now that it could reach 60 million units instead. He also expects Xiaomi to ship 100 million smartphones next year.:enjoy:

The rise in shipments is no doubt being aided by Xiaomi’s global expansion — the red-hot smartphone maker quietly expanded sales into Hong Kong and Taiwan, and more recently took a first step outside of Greater China by moving into Singapore. The company’s international ambitions have been driven by high-profile former Google VP Hugo Barra — and now VP for Xiaomi Global. There are plans to bring Xiaomi devices into other Southeast Asian markets next, and there are also indications that the company is looking into India, as well as Latin America.

Lei didn’t reveal any specific sales figures for the first quarter, but did say that revenue was up by 150 percent from the same quarter a year earlier — and if the trend continues, the company could hit CNY80 billion ($12.9 billion) in sales for the full year of 2014. He noted though, that a more plausible milestone would be CNY70 billion ($11.2 billion). The figure isn’t indicative of profit, but it is still remarkable considering that Xiaomi released its first device as recently as 2011.

As Xiaomi continues its march overseas, it looks set to perform beyond expectations in 2014 — given that its handsets will probably be in high demand by price-conscious customers in emerging markets. Xiaomi has made a name for itself smartphones packed with high-end specs but at lower prices compared to other Android phone manufacturers including Samsung and HTC. For example, in Singapore, the budget Redmi costs just S$169 ($134), while Xiaomi’s flagship Mi 3 has a price tag of S$419 ($332) unlocked.

Headline image via Xiaomi

China's Xiaomi Shipped 11M Smartphones In Q1 2014
I love XiaoMi-3, An TuTu's score tell the truth !
13346446623_c3396a20c2_b.jpg

Lenovo aims to sell 1m smart TVs

2014-03-28 15:12 China Daily Web Editor: qindexing

U468P886T1D107117F12DT20140328151228.jpg

Lenovo Group Ltd is aiming to sell 1 million "smart" television sets in China this year after releasing a highly anticipated second-generation flagship product on Thursday.

Called the S9, the TV has the world's fastest data-processing speed on the market, according to Lenovo.

It was the Chinese company's biggest news since last June, when it unveiled the hybrid television products developed in partnership with Japanese electronics maker Sharp Corp.

"We hold high sales expectations for S9 and other smart TV products," said David Ren, head of the smart TV unit at Lenovo China.

Smart TVs are equipped with an open-source platform, video on demand and other user interactive features such as online gaming and web browsing.

More than half of the devices will be sold at brick-and-mortar stores, while online sales will contribute the rest, according to the company.

Lenovo's Senior Vice-President Chen Xudong told China Daily previously that the company had plans to sell 1 million of the TVs through major retail sites in the 2013-2015 period.

The Beijing-based vendor also is building an e-commerce website to spur its new television business, according to a person familiar with the matter. The website will be active in early April.

Lenovo is likely to lift its online sales target because of Thursday's news release.

The world's largest maker of personal computers in terms of shipments re-entered the television industry in 2012 as a part of the company's ambitious strategy to dominate more hardware markets after the demand for PCs went flat.

"Next-generation smart TVs should be strong in processing capability, social media and rich content. That's why we think the S9 will be a powerful player in the market," said Ren.

Lenovo currently relies heavily on smartphones to cement its presence in the consumer electronics sector and also is gaining a sizable market share in the tablet market, researchers said.

Helped by strong sales of the Yoga series, endorsed by Hollywood star Ashton Kutcher, Lenovo is the third-largest tablet maker, taking nearly 6 percent of market share, according to local research firm Analysys International.

Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd sealed the top two spots by a large margin.

The penetration rate of smart TVs in China is approaching 70 percent this year, with more than 31 million devices sold, according to research company All View Consulting Ltd. "Smart TVs will erode the market share of traditional TVs," said Zhang Yanbin, the consultant's assistant president.

The upcoming FIFA World Cup in Brazil and favorable prices offered by e-commerce sites also are likely to accelerate sales, said an AVC report.

"But the problem is most of the so called 'smart TVs' are not smart enough, and customers have no idea how to use 80 percent of the features," said Zhang, adding that Chinese vendors have to refocus on product development while the competition heats up.

Internet companies, such as LeTV.com and Tencent Holdings Ltd, have stepped into the market followed by more hardware companies such as Lenovo, smartphone maker Xiaomi Corp and telecom equipment vendor ZTE Corp.

Last week, a joint venture partly owned by ZTE, based in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, launched a set-top box with a popular gaming feature. It's the first move from yet another player to join the battle for living room dominance.

Lenovo aims to sell 1m smart TVs - Headlines, features, photo and videos from ecns.cn|china|news|chinanews|ecns|cns

i got a vivo X1, and got a vivo X3 for my wife, it costs around $600, and she really likes the camera and the slick looks

Huawei has officially surpassed Ericsson as the largest telecommunications equipment maker in 2013 (in revenue).

World smartphone Top10, China XiaoMi corp's Hongmi(Redrice) and MI-3 :china::cheers:

ori_533e04bde6bbf.jpeg

Apr 03, 2014, 03.58 PM IST | Source: CNBC
China smartphone maker ranks among world's bestsellers

Xiaomi`s Hongmi Redrice and Mi3 smartphones were the 7th and 10th top selling models globally in February, according to a new report from Counterpoint Technology Market Research.
smartphone_app_190.jpg

China smartphone maker ranks among world's bestsellers

Xiaomi`s Hongmi Redrice and Mi3 smartphones were the 7th and 10th top selling models globally in February, according to a new report from Counterpoint Technology Market Research.
mobiles_16-9_356x200_3910_356.jpg

China`s low-cost smartphone maker Xiaomi is making great strides in the global smartphone race with two of its models ranking in a list of the world`s top 10 bestselling smartphones for the first time.

Apple`s iPhone 5s remained the bestselling phone in the world - a position it has held for six straight months. The iPhone 5c, meanwhile, came in at second place, mostly due to the big clearance discounts in Western markets, Counterpoint said. Rival Samsung`s Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 tied for 3rd place.

(Read More: Rising smartphone stars look to outshine Apple)

"At the global level there has been little brand diversity over recent months. However the appearance of Xiaomi on the best sellers list highlights an increasing trend - local brands moving up the sales rankings in their respective countries," said Peter Richardson, research director at Counterpoint.

"It`s a consequence of commoditization of hardware and software. Provided the price is sufficiently attractive, consumers are willing to try local brands over the higher profile global brands," he said.

Xiaomi handsets are mainly sold in China, where the company is getting a cult-like following through its affordable yet sleek offerings.

It recently started shipping to neighboring countries including Singapore, selling 5,000 smartphones within eight minutes of going on sale earlier this year.

(Read More: Nokia embraces Android in low-cost push )

Xiaomi`s low-price strategy has been a key driver of its success in the fiercely competitive Chinese market. Xiaomi`s Andriod-powered 5-inch Mi3 sells for around USD 330, much lower than the USD 720 price tag for the least expensive Apple iPhone 5C model.

"This shows you don`t have always to be big to win the game, the smart and fast wins in the mobile market. It always has been and always will be," Counterpoint said.

Xiaomi, which sold 11 million phones in the first quarter of the year, recently upped its annual sales projection to 60 million from a previously predicted 40 million. It plans to sell 100 million in 2015.

Counterpoint expects a further shake up in the best seller`s list in March and April, as Samsung`s new Galaxy S5 becomes available and the iPhone 5c discounts have ceased.

(Read More: China`s Xiaomi `new disruptive force` in smartphone market )

"We are also seeing good performances from the Motorola G and Huawei LTE models so there might be some volatility in the best seller`s list," the firm said.

China smartphone maker ranks among world's bestsellers - Moneycontrol.com

No. The Chinese still don not understand what is branding and how to delight customer.

The answer to this may be yes, until Chinese can sell their toothpaste as big brands. These light industry product such as toothpaste are all made in China, but the famous brand, are mainly owned by the West.

On the other hand, Chinese smartphone's quality may reach to world top standard, which I believe it will happen soon.

For instance, Huawei, they are spending billions on R&D, and keep improving the quality of product, however, can Huawei's brand be as regarded as Apple ? I doubt it.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom