Reaction score
Country
China
China's Huawei sells 1.6 mln Mate 60 Pro handsets in six weeks - research firm
Reuters
October 19, 20234:01 PM GMT+8

Z4TAA234QVITVNR2YERZMRK3CY.jpg

Huawei Mate 60 in Shanghai
An advertisement for Huawei's Mate 60 series smartphones is seen outside a Huawei store in Shanghai, China September 8, 2023. REUTERS/Aly Song/File Photo Acquire Licensing Rights

SHENZHEN, China, Oct 19 (Reuters) - Huawei Technologies (HWT.UL) has sold 1.6 million of its Mate 60 Pro handsets in six weeks, a research firm said, as the Chinese technology giant defies a smartphone slowdown to enjoy strong demand in its high-end smartphone renaissance.

Of those sales, more than 400,000 units were in the last two weeks, the period in which Apple (AAPL.O) launched the iPhone 15 on the mainland, Counterpoint Research said.

In its first 17 days, iPhone 15 sales were down 4.5% compared to the iPhone 14, Counterpoint said, without providing specific figures.

Huawei did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Huawei made a surprise launch of its premium Mate 60 Pro phone in late August, which many analysts say uses a domestically made chip and marks a breakthrough in the face of years of U.S. technology sanctions against the company.

The handset has been in high demand, with available stock swiftly being bought up as soon as it arrives, "creating the appearance of perpetual unavailability," said Counterpoint senior analyst Ivan Lam.

The overall global smartphone market contracted by 8% to its lowest third-quarter level in a decade on subdued demand for major brands.

Huawei, its former unit Honor, and Transsion Group were the only brands to record year on year growth in that period.

In China August smartphone shipments remained largely flat, rising 0.03% year on year to 18.99 million handsets, according to the China Academy of Information and Communications (CAICT)

It's a toss up for me between Huawei and Xiaomi. Of course I will never get a Xiaomi phone -- they're all powered by Snapdragon. Huawei just beats the crap out of everyone else in smart phones. But some of their other products is another story where I actually prefer Xiaomi over Huawei.

Speaking of highly competent Chinese companies, there's another one that really deserves the spot light -- BOE. I been playing with 1080p IPS screens from AU Optronics (Taiwanese), Innolux (Taiwanese) and BOE (Mainland) using my mini-PC as a sort of universal LCD controller (the screens are all sourceable thru Aliexpress btw). BOE beats the crap out of the Taiwanese companies. The beauty of the female CGI 3D anime figure/character on the BOE screen cannot compare to the crap rendered by AUO and Innolux! The characters look so good and detailed. Because female characters are often portrayed as not having anything covering their shoulders, so their skin is exposed there, on the BOE screen they even look like they got armpit creases whereas all have a flat look on AUO and Innolux...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom