What's new

Why the Chinese support the Communist party

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpit

Reaction score
By Malcolm Moore

We have a series of four video interviews running on the Telegraph’s China page at the moment.

We did them for the 60th anniversary of Communist party rule in China.

We shot them in the streets of Shanghai, talking to some of the city’s older residents – the ones who could remember what life was like before the Communists took over in 1949. The participants were chosen entirely at random, but they all expressed strong support for the Party.

The subtitling on the videos, sadly, is a bit unclear, so I thought I would post the full transcript of each interview here, for anyone interested. There’s also an article which goes with them here.

Qian Xiuzhen 93

I was born in Dongtai County, Jiangsu. My parents moved to Shanghai when I was little. Life was very hard. My father did all kinds of small work and business. He used to sell bricks from the ruins left by bombs. I started to go to work at age of eight, at a Japanese textile plant. My younger sisters worked at a cigarette company in Pudong. We did not have enough food to eat or warm clothes to wear, we really lived an impoverished life.

The war broke out on August 3, 1937. The bombs landed on the streets of Shanghai and many people died. At the time, you could only buy 100ml of cooking oil per person a month and there was nowhere to buy rice. People had to queue for long time and they fought for rice for their families.

Policemen in the French Concession used to beat up the people scrambling for rice, and if you were lucky enough to get rice, you still might be robbed by other hungry people. It was a miserable life. During the eight years of the war with Japan, and during Chiang Kai-shek’s regime, people could not buy anything and basically had nothing to eat.

Chiang Ching-kuo (Chiang Kai-shek’s son) set the price for all the products and people could hardly afford anything. Poor people had nothing to eat and the rich continued to be rich.

One month before Japan’s surrender on August 15, 1945, I started a small business, selling eggs. And then Mao came and my life changed for the better. I was very happy with the change. Beforehand, almost every normal family faced the same difficulties that my family experienced. It was a world for the rich, not for ordinary people. I feel so sad now when I think about the past. Two of my family were killed during the Japanese invasion. My younger brother was mauled to death by a Japanese dog and my father was shot by Japanese soldiers.

After the founding of New China, on the first national day, I met the then Shanghai mayor, Su Yuchang. I gave a speech recalling how things used to be and I was very happy, very excited.

After 1949 I continued with my business, going to the suburbs to collect vegetables and then coming back downtown to sell them. It was hard work, but I was happy because it was a new society and people felt differently about hard work. People treated each other differently, and a bit of hardship was nothing. I kept my business going until 1982, and then when I retired I got a pension of 1,800 yuan (£180) a month. I have a good life now, a pleasant life, thanks to Chairman Mao.

In the past, this park was forbidden to Chinese. It was an exclusive park for French children, in this concession area. After the concession was reclaimed, and all the foreigners went home, the park became a public place and is now a nice park and very convenient for us old people.

My happiest time was after Mao came into power. Our social status improved. People were allowed to express their views. Before, people had no right to speak out. After the founding of new China, the first parade, I was on the front row during the first parade. Foreign journalists from America and the Soviet Union took lots pictures of me. I was carrying a flower basket, walking down Huaihai road, it was very festive, and there was much excitement. I went out during the parade every year for many years, rain or shine.

I have a monthly pension of 1,800 yuan and I find it sufficient. We have medical insurance and seeing doctor basically costs us nothing. I don’t have to worry about food, there is no need to scramble for anything. In the past, the Japanese mixed sand and stone in the rice we ate. It was hell then, and it is like heaven for me now.

Zhou Xingfen, 84

I was born in Chongde County, Zhejiang Province. My father was in the pelt business, mainly for export. They made lambskin coats for foreigners in Shanghai. Later the Japanese came, and the business ended. So when I was supposed to go to school, I didn’t get the chance to study much. My childhood was very hard in the countryside. No one in the area got a proper education. I did not even finish primary school.

I started to work after the founding of New China, during the Great Leap Forward, which called for women to start working. Before 1949, I stayed at home raising the children. Afterwards, I worked for a machinery plant in Shanghai.

In old China, women did not have a say, and the New China brought rights for women. In the old society, women were merely domestic helpers and stayed home doing chores. We were quite ignorant in the past. Nowadays, the kids get a college education, and some continue their studies abroad. For our generation, few received higher education or saw much of the world.

Nowadays I enjoy my old age with my children. I live in quite a big house. In the past we had a difficult time, the eye operation I just had, which cost 4,000 yuan, would have been unthinkable in the past. We could not afford to go to hospital. Now my children all make good money. They often invite us to eat out, which was impossible in the past.

I regret that I only had four years of primary schooling. Now it is totally different and boys and girls have equal opportunities. They can all go to college if they are capable. All my grandchildren went to university. These are my happiest years. I can now enjoy my life. My children have invited me for dinner on the National Holiday, for a family get-together and a happy time.

Zhang Weimin, 77

I was born in Shanghai. My father was a doctor, so my family was relatively well off at the time. I basically lived on my parents’ money before the founding of New China. But when my parents died, I had to rely on myself, so I joined the army after the Liberation. After years of army service, I was assigned to work at Shanghai Pharmaceutical Company.

In the years before 1949 my cousin ran a pharmacy and I was an apprentice, learning some medical and business skills. I was 17 when New China was founded. I saw people singing and dancing in army uniforms, and I thought it was a good idea to join the army, so I went. I served in the army for three years. Afterwards the civil affair bureau arranged work for us.

Since I had some knowledge of Western medicine, from my days as an apprentice, I was assigned to the Shanghai Pharmaceutical Company. The Company was newly-founded at the time and lacked experienced employees, so I was able to display my expertise. I worked there till 1993. I have two sons, one daughter. Life became even better when they started to work.

The biggest difference between the old and the new China is that life is now more stable and comfortable, especially for older people. Before, life was not secure. Now we have a pension and medical insurance so we feel relieved. That’s why people support Mao, because he changed the social system fundamentally. Thanks to Chairman Mao the living standards of ordinary people have improved.

My happiest time was during my military service, as a single man with no burdens, no responsibility, a free life. I received a third class award at the army for good performance too. After my army service, I got married. And soon afterwards, the kids were born, one after another. Life was no longer easy for me, there were increased family responsibilities and my living standards decreased accordingly. But as the children grew up, life became better again. I felt happy when my children were born, I thought I had something to look forward to.

Now I have a pension of 1,800 yuan a month, and my wife gets 2,400 yuan. Before we needed to pay for the children, but now we live on our own, and the money is the average pension here in Shanghai. We are satisfied with the current social system, birth, old age, sickness and death, all taken care by the government, but was unimaginable in the old society.

Before 1949, people who were 60 years-old were a rarity, now you are only a little brother at 60, people normally live up to their 80s and 90s. The change of social system, and the improvement of living standards have prolonged people’s lives.

My view is that people shouldn’t compare to those above them but to those below them, that’s where they find self content and ease and have a positive life attitude and good spirit.

Kuai Guoying, 86

When I was a child, we did not have much food to eat. My parents were peasants. They farmed on land that belonged to someone else. We had to give the good crops to the land owner and we only got to keep bad ones. I had five siblings but only two survived.

My father died at 46, my mom at 67. We did not get to eat meat. Meat for poor people? No way, we didn’t even have grain, let alone meat. My mother starved to death during the three years of the Great Famine. We basically ate sweet potatoes, potatoes and carrots. We cooked a pot of carrots or potato soup in the morning and that would last a whole day. Life was hard, very hard.

I got married at 20. My husband was 19 at the time. Two years after our marriage, my husband came to Shanghai. I came to Shanghai in 1951 and one year later we had our first son. I had my first daughter when I was 23.

My eldest son is 58 now, eldest daughter 62. They did not have much food to eat either, not like today.

My husband first earned our living pulling a cart, and later worked at the railway for over a year. After that, he was sent to the remote Yunnan to support regional development. We were a family of six, plus a younger brother, a grandma, a sister-in-law and a younger sister. I had to support a total of nine people at home, on the 20 yuan my husband sent back each month.

How could a large family live on this 20 yuan? No way. So I went out, found a job, and got paid over 40 yuan a month. I basically supported the family. My husband later got transferred to Ningbo, Zhejiang. He asked me to move to his place but I refused to go since I had to support the elders at home.

Life has been much better now, much better, thanks to the Party, really. It started around the time of the reforms, when our children became independent.

Life has changed for the better, bit by bit. My husband moved to Jiaxing, much closer to Shanghai, so he could come back home every night. His salary went up too. When our children were little, they did not have enough food or clothes. We bought back fabric and sew at night by the light of the lamp hanging from top of the mosquito net. We could not afford to go to the tailor’s. We mended all our clothes and shoes. Then the children grew up and got jobs.

My younger daughter married at 31. My two sons too. My elder daughter was the earliest, at 29. My younger daughter’s husband went to the United States first while my younger daughter stayed with her son in Shanghai for three years. She did not want to go to the States at first. “It costs too much”, she said, “at least 100,000 to 200,000 rmb”. I told her to go, “The family should stay together. All three of you. Money is not the issue, your brothers, sister and us can pull in some money.” She finally got to go and has lived there for around ten years now.

We used to live in a tiny house, over ten people all together, just a place of over ten square metres. Now I often say to my husband that life has been totally different for our grandchildren, not only from ours, but from their parents too. They have nothing to worry about, no need to worry about food, clothes. In the past, one had to work really hard to support four people, and now just the contrary.

Now we don’t have to give money to our children. We don’t need support from them either, they have their own family to provide for. We have enough. We can’t eat much now. Not like before, when there was no food to eat when we desperately wanted to eat. Now my only wish is to live with my younger son’s family. They have a son who has not set up his own family yet. I hope they would buy a bigger house so we can live together, so I don’t have to worry about the food, the cooking. My daughter-in-law is very good.

Tags: 60th Anniversary, Communist party

Why the Chinese support the Communist party – Telegraph Blogs

---

It's popular, fundamental, and even religious, in West to curse CPC, because without showing your bad part, it can’t prove my good part.

This is the same logic the Chinese are employing: without knowing the bad part of the past caused by democratic Western countries + semi-westernized Japan, they could not have appreciated the CPC, in general.

There is certainly a reason for both sides.

obviously they want to be run over by tanks .........:sniper::sniper::sniper:

Not sure, but certainly they don't want to be run over by starvation, which is on-going, seems perpetual and is 1000000... times more deadly in some countries.

obviously they want to be run over by tanks .........:sniper::sniper::sniper:

Wow, how ignorant are you? You only wish Indians had a chance to get up and personal with a tank don't you? Too bad Indian tanks are all fail...Which tank was the fail again? The "Cajun" or the Tejunk?

any party which can guarantee people safe future will be qualified to continue their existence.

Not sure, but certainly they don't want to be run over by starvation, which is on-going, seems perpetual and is 1000000... times more deadly in some countries.

You don't need to fix things that ain't broken, at least not a major fix.

The system is working and the country is functional, that's why we like it. We are fully aware of some of the problems but they do not warrant a revolution like some people in the west hope. Personally, I don't even think that they are any more serious than the problems in the western governments. Most of the demonization of China in the western media are fabricated and/or outdated. Most foreigners (from democratic western countries) have a blast living in China, even though their political ideology is very different.

The demonization of China from the west is driven by fear. However, just from purely military prospective, I think a democratic China will be much more aggressive than the Communist one we have right now, because the current leaders are technocrates who care more about methodology than public opinion, which is very nationalistic.

You don't need to fix things that ain't broken, at least not a major fix.

The system is working and the country is functional, that's why we like it. We are fully aware of some of the problems but they do not warrant a revolution like some people in the west hope. Personally, I don't even think that they are any more serious than the problems in the western governments. Most of the demonization of China in the western media are fabricated and/or outdated. Most foreigners (from democratic western countries) have a blast living in China, even though their political ideology is very different.

The demonization of China from the west is driven by fear. However, just from purely military prospective, I think a democratic China will be much more aggressive than the Communist one we have right now, because the current leaders are technocrates who care more about methodology than public opinion, which is very nationalistic.

There is more than a grain of truth to what you say. The FDD types have lost the "votes" from peoples' hearts everywhere - by their own hypocrisies. But none of it obviates the need to make the CCP accountable - if that's what fixing means.

More importantly, the dirty - often bloody laundry in the bottom of the CCP's basket need to aired out a bit more inside the PRC at least. There is simply no skirting around this necessity. Amnesia do not do anyone any good - to plutocracies and "accountable" autocracies alike.

Unfortunately, we are so seldom faced with a choice between good and evil. Pretty much every choice is between "evil" vs "lesser evil". For the most part, the Anglo-american Plutocracy and their various frontmen and behind-the-scene players represent the "lesser" of the evils out there (strictly my personal opinion).

But their baser instincts and a capacity to carry out mischief must be remembered. And there is one thing about the Plutocracy that bugs me personally: they always like to take the credit (and often to them credit is due) - but more and more, they loathe to pay the bills.

Some of the lessons should be still fresh even by the admission of the Plutocracy's own mouthpiece.

I don't think the Chinese people deep down support the CCP in any meaningful way - but rather they don't see a great alternative yet.

Especially when they don't see the Plutocracy as being willing to take responsibility or be accountable - or be altruistic.

That's why I personally have high hopes for India to provide us an alternate model ... :azn: So far I am disappointed in the sense that I hear more clanking of the pot than detecting the aroma of freshly made basmati rice.

The Chinese people, I suspect, want to see the rice far more than hearing someone banging the pot ... and yes, there is something to be said for the "freedom" to bang the pot as loudly as possible without any fear of being "arrested" :D

And that's why we :toast_sign: to :usflag: plutocracy - who eats his rice, and bang other people's empty pots. :partay:

There is more than a grain of truth to what you say. The FDD types have lost the "votes" from peoples' hearts everywhere - by their own hypocrisies. But none of it obviates the need to make the CCP accountable - if that's what fixing means.

More importantly, the dirty - often bloody laundry in the bottom of the CCP's basket need to aired out a bit more inside the PRC at least. There is simply no skirting around this necessity. Amnesia do not do anyone any good - to plutocracies and "accountable" autocracies alike.

Unfortunately, we are so seldom faced with a choice between good and evil. Pretty much every choice is between "evil" vs "lesser evil". For the most part, the Anglo-american Plutocracy and their various frontmen and behind-the-scene players represent the "lesser" of the evils out there (strictly my personal opinion).

But their baser instincts and a capacity to carry out mischief must be remembered. And there is one thing about the Plutocracy that bugs me personally: they always like to take the credit (and often to them credit is due) - but more and more, they loathe to pay the bills.

Some of the lessons should be still fresh even by the admission of the Plutocracy's own mouthpiece.

I don't think the Chinese people deep down support the CCP in any meaningful way - but rather they don't see a great alternative yet.

Especially when they don't see the Plutocracy as being willing to take responsibility or be accountable - or be altruistic.

That's why I personally have high hopes for India to provide us an alternate model ... :azn: So far I am disappointed in the sense that I hear more clanking of the pot than detecting the aroma of freshly made basmati rice.

The Chinese people, I suspect, want to see the rice far more than hearing someone banging the pot ... and yes, there is something to be said for the "freedom" to bang the pot as loudly as possible without any fear of being "arrested" :D

And that's why we :toast_sign: to :usflag: plutocracy - who eats his rice, and bang other people's empty pots. :partay:

You are right on that there is just not a good alternative model in sight for China. India's model sucks. All the starving children, ****** street, broken infrastructure make the Chinese government look like god-sent. At least people are not starving anymore, and a lot of opportunities exist for those who choose to work hard and work smart.

My hope is that the Chinese government becomes more multipolar with each successive governments. The transition from Jiang to Hu was a great one, and I think both Xi Jingping and Li Keqiang appear to be confident, capable leaders. Who ever succeeds Hu will be given both great opportunities and challenges.

The U.S model will definitely fail China. However, I think municipal level election will be a great thing. Let's hope that this will happen with the next government.

You are right on that there is just not a good alternative model in sight for China. India's model sucks. All the starving children, ****** street, broken infrastructure make the Chinese government look like god-sent. At least people are not starving anymore, and a lot of opportunities exist for those who choose to work hard and work smart.

My hope is that the Chinese government becomes more multipolar with each successive governments. The transition from Jiang to Hu was a great one, and I think both Xi Jingping and Li Keqiang appear to be confident, capable leaders. Who ever succeeds Hu will be given both great opportunities and challenges.

The U.S model will definitely fail China. However, I think municipal level election will be a great thing. Let's hope that this will happen with the next government.

I agree with you by and large. However, everything is progressive or "regressive". Seldom do things stay the same. The "Indian" model may indeed prove more even-keeled and sustained over the long run - let's be more "dialectical".

I hold that no one is more aware of India's problems and the deficiency of their Plutocracy any more deeply than the Indians themselves. Give them 10-20 years to grow and "fix" things and PRC may very well wanna look in that direction to learn a thing or two.

If not already - but that's another topic for another time (people here are sensitive :azn:).

:cheers:

Oh you Chinese and your short memories....

China has done wonderfully for itself, there's no denying it, but don't be so quick to forget your past before you hammer away at India's 'flawed democracy'.

For those of you who seem to have forgotten.

Cultural Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and I quote,

"One recent scholarly account asserts that in rural China alone some 36 million people were persecuted, of whom between 750,000 and 1.5 million were killed, with roughly the same number permanently injured.[33] In Mao: The Unknown Story, Jung Chang and Jon Halliday claim that as many as 3 million people died in the violence of the Cultural Revolution.[34]"

Now I understand its wikipedia so some of you may have issues with it, everything is cited, so take your time to go through the references.

Before some of you point fingers at India keep in mind that India is extremely diverse so a communism simply wouldn't work. Furthermore India's growth rate is second only to China's despite the global recession. Give it sometime, India has only just begun its journey, China is already half way there. Let's see where things stand a decade or so from now. I just think its too early to make any calls.

China has done wonderfully for itself, there's no denying it, but don't be so quick to forget your past before you hammer away at India's 'flawed democracy'.

and I quote,

"One recent scholarly account asserts that in rural China alone some 36 million people were persecuted, of whom between 750,000 and 1.5 million were killed, with roughly the same number permanently injured.[33] In Mao: The Unknown Story, Jung Chang and Jon Halliday claim that as many as 3 million people died in the violence of the Cultural Revolution.[34]"

Now I understand its wikipedia so some of you may have issues with it, everything is cited, so take your time to go through the references.

Before some of you point fingers at India keep in mind that India is extremely diverse so a communism simply wouldn't work. Furthermore India's growth rate is second only to China's despite the global recession. Give it sometime, India has only just begun its journey, China is already half way there. Let's see where things stand a decade or so from now. I just think its too early to make any calls.

Blah, Ziopedia -- now where's the REAL EVIDENCE to back up those fanciful claims?!

By the way, my little Hindu friend, those who died from hunger not directly result of government policies. Let's not forget China emerged from centuries of European, American, Russian, Japanese IMPERIALISM & WAR. Then the "debt" to repay (i.e. the loser in war must pay $$$), which diverted money, natural resources, and food to repay the "debt". Then their was the civil war. Do you seriously think in the climate it is easy to farm and feed a growing population???

Lastly, if we go the the same logic, GOI has caused over a hundred million deaths from hunger and infection since Bharat was formed. But in Bharat's case, the onus largely on them due to incompetence, corruption, and bad decisions.

and I quote,

My dear Spitfighter; can you kindly pointed out, when did you saw

any indication that Chinese are preaching our system, like

communism if anybody still think we are to anybody ?

Lets be honest to ourself, Indians are the one like to preach your

Indians democacy to us.

Yes, Chinese do remember the desaster of the culture revelution, we

learn from this hard lesson, thats the history help to motivate ourself

for being the China of today, and we got the right to be proud of it.

But what about India ? you no angels either, what have you managed

to accomplish ? Hunger chart ? Human development ? Public health

care spending ? and your people are suffering NOW
, because of your

so called great system, tell me honestly, do you think GOI need to be

blame for the lack of effort and funding ? Spending billions for

weapons, but no money for a better life for her people ?

But i guess none of you will have the courage to face the fact that

so much people in India are the victims of your so-called democracy.
:smitten::pakistan::china:

and I quote,

No question that the C.R. is lurid and condemnable.

But your simple brushing off criminal part of your democracy as mere "flawed" reflects how callus, inhuman and cruel you are: your system kills 2 millions poor children a year. India's child death rate highest in the world: Report That single item equals an abnormal total death of 124 million children for your 62 years of independence.

C.R. has ended for 30+ years, but your mass murder is still going on, as we debate here.

Compared with your kind of abhorrent democratic massacre, Cultural Revolution looks so pale and inept...

Fix your puny and forgetful memory first.

Last edited:
Blah, Ziopedia -- now where's the REAL EVIDENCE to back up those fanciful claims?!

Like I said, everything is cited, feel free to go through the references. Contrary to what most people believe, Wikipedia isn't based on some guy's opinion, the articles are actually peer reviewed.

Ziopedia? Lets see you back up that claim my yellow friend.

By the way, my little Hindu friend, those who died from hunger not directly result of government policies. Let's not forget China emerged from centuries of European, American, Russian, Japanese IMPERIALISM & WAR. Then the "debt" to repay (i.e. the loser in war must pay $$$), which diverted money, natural resources, and food to repay the "debt". Then their was the civil war. Do you seriously think in the climate it is easy to farm and feed a growing population???

Right, right. So do you know anything about the cultural revolution?

There's no need to get overly emotional and type up the first thing that comes to your mind. For your own sake, learn something. Go learn something about the great leap forward, collectives and communes and ONLY THEN should you think about posting a reply.

You think Indian's were partying under british rule? or during the partition? or during all the wars we've had with Pakistan?

Lastly, if we go the the same logic, GOI has caused over a hundred million deaths from hunger and infection since Bharat was formed. But in Bharat's case, the onus largely on them due to incompetence, corruption, and bad decisions.

What you fail to understand is that I wasn't trying to imply that our government is any better than yours, I'm saying that its probably no worse. Its too early to call the Indian democracy a failure, as some members (conworldus) implied in their post.

Developing countries always face an uphill battle. With a billion people each, I think we can understand and appreciate the challenges we face (more us than you, but you get it. I hope)

I hold that no one is more aware of India's problems and the deficiency of their Plutocracy any more deeply than the Indians themselves.

Contrary to what you wish to hold, evidence shows that most Indian friends are happy with their deficiency, except a sane few.

Give them 10-20 years to grow and "fix" things and PRC may very well wanna look in that direction to learn a thing or two.

I hoped, too.

But given their big mouth in talking and small limbs in acting, nay, ... They've been "fix"ing it for 62 years, 2 more years than PRC.

Sure, that doesn't mean there is nothing to learn. A thing to be learnt by PRC is perhaps to exercise extra cautious on the mere mention of "democracy", especially of similar kind on similar type of social soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom