What's new

Why South Asians Are More Likely To Get Diabetes Than Europeans

Yar I don’t buy this - the only person who has diabetes in my family is my chachi - the rest of my family by the grace of god don’t have any major illness apart from a few elders who died from lung cancer due to smoking lung killers back in the day.

Diabetes can be both genetic or dietary- sadly too many people addicted to samosas - methai - halwa and doodh Patti.

Lay down that paratha and butter chicken- walk/run - do some light weights and for gods sake quit smoking.

I’m at my happiest/healthiest in Pakistan because I eat what I want and I have time to go burn it off.

Dieting sucks, but one should be aware of what they are putting it in their body and the quantity. Pakistanis throw both of these cautions out of the window.

The cause of Diabetes is basically a sudden rise in the standard of living.

When you have people whose bodies have adapted to centuries of low-calorie working hard in the fields suddenly thrown into a situation where you can sit on your butt all day eating pre-packaged food out of a box and hopping into a car to go places instead of walking it throws the body into an overload situation.

Last edited:
In Pakistan a lot of meat and oil with plenty of sweets..........
Cook in animal fat..

1652385299496.png

1652385399810.png

1652385450540.png

Oil

1652385480906.png

I’m at my happiest/healthiest in Pakistan because I eat what I want and I have time to go burn it off.

Dieting sucks, but one should be aware of what they are putting it in their body and the quantity. Pakistanis throw both of these cautions out of the window.
Yar the main thing is balance - people just don’t look after their bodies - just exercise a little bit - keep that ticker “ticking”. But alas majority of middle class people in Pakistan lead sedentary lifestyles and then blame genetics 😂

In Pakistan a lot of meat and oil with plenty of sweets..........
Cook in animal fat..

View attachment 843453

View attachment 843455

View attachment 843456

Oil

View attachment 843457
Nothing wrong with a samosa or two - everything in moderation 🙂

Yes our urban kin sadly have very sedentary lives which is the perfect storm for a whole manner of health problems.
It’s actually now recognised as a leading cause of heart disease, not to be active enough is a killer.
I don’t think its just the lifestyle - the excessive pollution also contributes

Yar the main thing is balance - people just don’t look after their bodies - just exercise a little bit - keep that ticker “ticking”. But alas majority of middle class people in Pakistan lead sedentary lifestyles and then blame genetics 😂

Nothing wrong with a samosa or two - everything in moderation 🙂

The modern day Pakistani family’s idea of going out is ordering gol gappay from their Honda city, eating it, then driving to the burger place, eating that in their car, after that driving to get ice cream, and then finally home. What a fantastic night out!

:lol:

Last edited:
Body needs a certain amount of carbs.

I think it is about 50-55% and so the best carbs are the ones with the lowest glycaemic index like brown rice and wholewheat bread.

The lower the glycaemic index then the slower the body releases the sugar(glucose) into the body and so preventing blood sugar spikes.
You can get carbs from green vegetables.

Practically speaking, the majority of the wheat and rice available on the market globally is refined to the point where you're basically injecting glucose into your body. You'd think "whole grains" are better for you, but if you do a proper glycaemic test consistently, you'll notice that it's a constant run-up of sugar in your blood. Yes, 'brown rice' and 'wholewheat bread' have a lower response on your blood sugar, but they're still very high.

When your body has that much sugar (50-50% of your intake being carbs), it will not tap into your fat for energy. While this is OK for very physically active people who need a rapidly deployable energy source, it's not for the vast majority of us today. Even among those who do work in the fields, this is excessive glucose. As you age, your natural glucose levels go up, so the utility of this carb intake goes down. From all the people who need that much glucose, I can't think of many besides athletes.

This isn't to say "carbs are bad." The issue, again, is glucose. You can still get carbs from other sources, especially fibrous carbs with lots of micronutrients (things like broccoli, cabbage, etc.) These are the actual "good carbs" that should make 50-55% of your dietary intake, but with healthy proteins and fats making up the rest.

Skyrocketing of various cancers and Heart Disease.

You are trading Diabetes for those.
That's more to do with processed meats than the protein itself. Again, like the glucose problem from wheat and rice, a high % of our diet comprises stuff with chemicals, fortifiers, etc. It's like injecting the world's pollution plus artificially-added vitamins into your body; of course, it's going to cause problems.

However, when you isolate organic and properly raised protein sources (e.g., wild-caught fish, grass-fed beef, etc), you find that they're fine. In fact, the University of Alberta specifically recommended that cancer patients consume animal-based protein. Again, the caveat is that the protein sourcing has to be clean. The moment you put it through today's industrial machine, you'll have problems.

This will give malnutrition problems to a whole generation of growing kids.

And as it is, many people can barely afford food, sugary or wheat/corn stuff is all the energy they can get.
The issue is replacing the glucose-based stuff with green veggies, clean proteins, and clean fats. This is a system-wide issue.

more due to diet and exercise levels?

Exactly!

Maybe it is due to the amount of red meat that Pakistanis consume?

I think red meat is fine in moderation. This hysteria about red meat is part of the First World snowflake mentality. Meat is bad, dairy is bad, blah blah....

Humans are animals, first and foremost. We need to look at how wild animals live to see how our bodies are formed by evolution. The problem is not red meat, the problem is too much food and not enough exercise. To make matters worse, South Asians eat too much sugar.

Everything in moderation and plenty of exercise.

Exactly!

I think red meat is fine in moderation. This hysteria about red meat is part of the First World snowflake mentality. Meat is bad, dairy is bad, blah blah....

Humans are animals, first and foremost. We need to look at how wild animals live to see how our bodies are formed by evolution. The problem is not red meat, the problem is too much food and not enough exercise. To make matters worse, South Asians eat too much sugar.

Everything in moderation and plenty of exercise.
The issue isn't red meat in itself, but the sourcing. The standard industrial-fare red meat is packed with hormones and stuff resulting from giving the bovine a bad diet (e.g., too much grain and corn). Likewise, farmed fish in hyper-condense environments are also unhealthy, as are factory-raised chickens, industrial-produced plant proteins and so on.

The issue isn't red meat in itself, but the sourcing. The standard industrial-fare red meat is packed with hormones and stuff resulting from giving the bovine a bad diet (e.g., too much grain and corn). Likewise, farmed fish in hyper-condense environments are also unhealthy, as are factory-raised chickens, industrial-produced plant proteins and so on.

Luckily in developed countries (I don't know about South Asia) we can choose to pay extra and buy responsibly sourced foods. Free range chicken, free range eggs, ocean raised salmon, etc.

Unfortunately we don't get much choice for red meat. Top priority is halal so I buy whatever they sell.

Last edited:
Luckily in developed countries (I don't know about South Asia) we can choose to pay extra and buy responsibly sourced foods. Free range chicken, free range eggs, ocean raised salmon, etc.
We can, but for a premium. Even in the developed world, the majority lack nutritional knowledge and access to good food. So, they're generally at a disadvantage, and you see it. Ultimately, this is an issue that society as a whole must solve, but it starts with firm policies and mechanisms that create good supply dynamics (like mandates requiring the production of only clean proteins and fats, for a start).

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom