What's new

Why Pakistan Loves the F-16 Fighting Falcon

and why do you think PAF is keen on inducting JF-17. Quality and Quantity.

PAF will go for second hand or new F-16's, yes, if CSF comes through.

seriously i think quantity.right now,the gap is increasing because they are investing too much money on iaf but we don't have money.we also care about quantity and this is a good thing.

F-16 is a capable bird period. No denying that. However, he strings attached and difficulty of procurement, on and off has watered down the "love" of PAF for this bird.

Till we get a replacement for it with equal to or better capabilities, it will remain the love of life of PAF since at this point in time it is the most capable a/c in its inventory.

JF-17 has a long way to go to become a more mature and capable platform. Reduction in weight, enhancement in thrust, more powerful radar coupled with longer range A2A missiles, and a more capable ECM/EW suit is the wish list. Waiting for the block III.......

we are in love of every American thing! no matter what it is!

Sir i can only talk about the military. Whatever American stuff we had, it performed and it performed well.

We are not idiots! The world produces stuff to match US made equipment and standards. That is the truth. Whether we like it or not. Now let us not fault our people for liking the best stuff out there.

no other country in the world has invested more in R&D, tried and tested their equipment from steamy jungles of the Pacific to the deserts of the Middle East. From the frozen tundra of the arctic to the barren mountains of Afghanistan.

They have the R&D, expertise, experience, knowledge, and the industriousness to design, produce, market, support, and upgrade a product they produce and constantly evolve it during its designed life and beyond. And btw, most of it is done by their private sector!!! They have also had their fair share of failures. Century series fighters was one such episode. They learnt from it and produced the Phantom.... and then the F-16!!

We have bought numerous articles of equipment from various countries and invested heavily in them. A lot of them still had some years left but had to be abandoned due to stoppage of support by the parent manufacturer or lack of evolution of the product. French are notorious for this. Their spares support ends up costing more than the original equipment. and they charge arm and leg for every small thing. They charged a ridiculous amount to translate repairs manuals for PN's Daphne Class Subs in English!!! PN had to pay out of budget for these things when these are considered a standard under such contracts. And then they stopped producing batteries for the subs!!! We had to procure almost all remaining batteries out there from Portugal, France and Spain at a huge and un-planned costs. I have mentioned only one such item that has been phased out of service so that we don't give away "State Secrets!" There are lots more such stories. The Swedes and the Swiss also did some stuff that is note worthy but not to be mentioned here.

The Russians, the less said the better. Ask the Indians.....they are paying out of their noses for going Russki way. Some of their equipment is rugged and highly successful...MI -17, the AK, The Mig -21. Most of the tanks they have produced, whenever pitched against western tanks have not performed up to the mark. Their A/C engines have a low meantime between overhaul as compared to Western engines. They are improving, albeit slow.

Chinese equipment till date had their own challenges. Their industry has picked up pace, spending huge amounts on R&D. But critical components are still a challenge for them.

Till then our "Love" for what is best out there should not be censored, ever. After all, what you see in JF, or the J-10 are the fruits of our love of US Products!!!!

BTW I know what I am talking about as I have been associated with procurement of defense equipment in the past.

Last edited:
F-16s cannot leave the airbase without US permission. JF-17 can. The newer blocks of JF-17 are going to outperform the F-16 in many respects.
Please JF-17 how good it can be cannot be equal to F-16 which is superior in every aspect that's we used it for CAP on 27th Feb and it's the F-16 that got the kills not JF-17. Stop daydreaming it's a fact that F-16 is responsible for the kills. I knew it from day one through my friends serving in Airforce and Army we lied just as we had concerns that US might be upset which it was not. Both pilots are viper driver who are credited with kills.

Please JF-17 how good it can be cannot be equal to F-16 which is superior in every aspect that's we used it for CAP on 27th Feb and it's the F-16 that got the kills not JF-17. Stop daydreaming it's a fact that F-16 is responsible for the kills. I knew it from day one through my friends serving in Airforce and Army we lied just as we had concerns that US might be upset which it was not. Both pilots are viper driver who are credited with kills.
Thats true. Even the Operation Swift Retort section opened at the museum has f16 pilot written next to the responsible guys.
It was just a case of us thinking Americans would go crazy but they didn't I think.

There is no restriction or cap on where and when F-16 out of Jacobabad are deployed as long as they are in defence of Pak land.

The only restriction is that they will not be used on foreign soil, i.e. overland on foreign soil.However, during a full blown conflict, the "Defense of Pak Land" will hold a different meaning.....the best defense is in offense kind of thingie will come into play.

During the Feb standoff, F-16's out Jacobabad did fly CAP's. One of my acquaintance lives in Jacobabad and he mentioned round the clock takeoff's and landing at Jacobabad during that time period. Mind you, the Indies did mount feint sorties in the south as well and were met with our own CAP's.

And before anyone doubts my word, my info. comes from someone who is high up in Lockheed Martin in Pakistan. The reasons US sided with Pakistan and did not censure it in anyway:

1. The Block 52 were not used in an offensive role during the conflict but in defensive CAP's. No breach of agreement there.
2. AMARAAM that was shown was fired from within Pakistan Territory on Intruding Indian Aircraft. There are no restriction on the rest of the fleet using 120C in any capacity or mode of deployment.

The reason there are restriction on the Block 52 is pilferage of technology, explicitly by the Chinese. The Turks already have Block 52's and a lot more in-depth knowledge of it. So there is no issue there.

There is no restriction or cap on where and when F-16 out of Jacobabad are deployed as long as they are in defence of Pak land.

The only restriction is that they will not be used on foreign soil, i.e. overland on foreign soil.However, during a full blown conflict, the "Defense of Pak Land" will hold a different meaning.....the best defense is in offense kind of thingie will come into play.

During the Feb standoff, F-16's out Jacobabad did fly CAP's. One of my acquaintance lives in Jacobabad and he mentioned round the clock takeoff's and landing at Jacobabad during that time period. Mind you, the Indies did mount feint sorties in the south as well and were met with our own CAP's.

And before anyone doubts my word, my info. comes from someone who is high up in Lockheed Martin in Pakistan. The reasons US sided with Pakistan and did not censure it in anyway:

1. The Block 52 were not used in an offensive role during the conflict but in defensive CAP's. No breach of agreement there.
2. AMARAAM that was shown was fired from within Pakistan Territory on Intruding Indian Aircraft. There are no restriction on the rest of the fleet using 120C in any capacity or mode of deployment.

The reason there are restriction on the Block 52 is pilferage of technology, explicitly by the Chinese. The Turks already have Block 52's and a lot more in-depth knowledge of it. So there is no issue there.

Restrictions on F-16s relate to access to the planes by China. Apart from that, PAF is free to use it even within indian airspace. This talk about employment restrictions are as real as India shooting down F-16 or killing 300 militants at Balakot. It’s a work of fiction and nothing more.

Sir i can only talk about the military. Whatever American stuff we had, it performed and it performed well.

We are not idiots! The world produces stuff to match US made equipment and standards. That is the truth. Whether we like it or not. Now let us not fault our people for liking the best stuff out there.

no other country in the world has invested more in R&D, tried and tested their equipment from steamy jungles of the Pacific to the deserts of the Middle East. From the frozen tundra of the arctic to the barren mountains of Afghanistan.

They have the R&D, expertise, experience, knowledge, and the industriousness to design, produce, market, support, and upgrade a product they produce and constantly evolve it during its designed life and beyond. And btw, most of it is done by their private sector!!! They have also had their fair share of failures. Century series fighters was one such episode. They learnt from it and produced the Phantom.... and then the F-16!!

We have bought numerous articles of equipment from various countries and invested heavily in them. A lot of them still had some years left but had to be abandoned due to stoppage of support by the parent manufacturer or lack of evolution of the product. French are notorious for this. Their spares support ends up costing more than the original equipment. and they charge arm and leg for every small thing. They charged a ridiculous amount to translate repairs manuals for PN's Daphne Class Subs in English!!! PN had to pay out of budget for these things when these are considered a standard under such contracts. And then they stopped producing batteries for the subs!!! We had to procure almost all remaining batteries out there from Portugal, France and Spain at a huge and un-planned costs. I have mentioned only one such item that has been phased out of service so that we don't give away "State Secrets!" There are lots more such stories. The Swedes and the Swiss also did some stuff that is note worthy but not to be mentioned here.

The Russians, the less said the better. Ask the Indians.....they are paying out of their noses for going Russki way. Some of their equipment is rugged and highly successful...MI -17, the AK, The Mig -21. Most of the tanks they have produced, whenever pitched against western tanks have not performed up to the mark. Their A/C engines have a low meantime between overhaul as compared to Western engines. They are improving, albeit slow.

Chinese equipment till date had their own challenges. Their industry has picked up pace, spending huge amounts on R&D. But critical components are still a challenge for them.

Till then our "Love" for what is best out there should not be censored, ever. After all, what you see in JF, or the J-10 are the fruits of our love of US Products!!!!

BTW I know what I am talking about as I have been associated with procurement of defense equipment in the past.
I can second what you have written based on my personal experiences. French are worst people to deal with - not only with their twisted nose up in the butt but also double crossers. Everything they get their hands into is dirty with underhand dealing and overpriced items bloated with kickbacks. Thales being the one i will not be in a same room with. On the other hand, the best people who will work with you (non local) has been Isreali defence consortiums - just nothing more than a pleasure to work with.

so quality is the only thing right?

but for me its the US influence which always pushed us to buy US equipment, and sorry to say we never sustain pressures? specially from US.

when ever republicans came in Power, here in Pakistan power centers shifted!

so quality is the only thing right?

but for me its the US influence which always pushed us to buy US equipment, and sorry to say we never sustain pressures? specially from US.

when ever republicans came in Power, here in Pakistan power centers shifted!
They also sell them at subsidized prices

Back
Top Bottom